Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2007, 16:02   #1

Boat: Lightwave Catamaran 45ft MUSCAT
Oil Pressure on Volvo D1-30

Hi everyone,

we took delivery of our new catamaran (new) in April this year. The boat has the Volvo Penta D1 30 (29 HP) and from the start we had problems with both our engines: after they were warmed up (full load) and the revs fall under 700 the oil pressure alarm goes off. The sensors have been changed (twice) and the pressure has been checked - which is normal - according to Volvo. I can overcome the problem by turing up the Revs to 800-900 but that is probably not so benefitial for my saildrives. I have been talking to Volvo but they seem to have no good idea about how to help and before I go to extensive claim/complaint I wanted to know if anyone has heard of a similar problems or even better has a solution.

thanks for your help

Nils
nils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 16:32   #2

What oil are you using?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 16:51   #3

Hi Pat,
thanks for your reply.
The first oil was the (thin) running in oil that was then changed to the standard recommended Volvo oil - did not change the problem. Just had the 100 hour service who put in Castrol ( don't know the specifications ) and reduced the revs - so the problem is apparent again.
Nils
Old 17-09-2007, 18:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils View Post
Penta D1 30 (29 HP) and from the start we had problems with both our engines: after they were warmed up (full load) and the revs fall under 700 the oil pressure alarm goes off.

The sensors have been changed (twice) and the pressure has been checked - which is normal - according to Volvo.

I can overcome the problem by turing up the Revs to 800-900
Your manual is on the Volvo-Penta website. The idle RPM is listed as 850 +-25. The normal oil pressure range is 21-71 psi

The oil specification is SAE15W-40 or SAE20W-50.

I'd set the idle per spec and if in a warm climate run 20-50 oil.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 20:28   #5

Thanks Dan
I will try that - wonder why the Volvo Dealer/mechanic has not suggested this
Old 22-09-2007, 13:05   #6
Alf

Volvo is covering up

Sorry Nils,
You should claim your engine. First response from Volvo will be that you should change oil. Then they will say the sensor is faulty.

The truth is that you have low oil pressure and that your engine has a serious problem that Volvo is trying to cover up. Check the Bavaria forum and you will see. I have heard about boats that have had 2-3 engines. Also about engines where oil coolers have been installed. Your dealer will most probably not know anything, as he has not been informed by Volvo Penta headquarter.

Other problem with this engine model has been faulty impellers and lots of black box failures which makes it impossible to start the engine.

Good Luck
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 04:49   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
... The truth is that you have low oil pressure and that your engine has a serious problem that Volvo is trying to cover up. Check the Bavaria forum and you will see.
My cursory search didn’t reveal any panoptic over-heating theme. Perhaps, Alf could direct us to any specific discussions.

Bavaria Sailboats forum:
Forum: Bavaria
“Volvo” topics:
Search the SailboatOwners.com Forum Archive

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 05:00   #8

Oil pressure is directly related to engine speed. If he's idling the engine below Volvo spec, then I would expect the oil pressure to be below Volvo spec.

Adjust the idle to spec and then report back please.
Old 23-09-2007, 11:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Adjust the idle to spec and then report back please.
Just incase you missed Pats recomendation, I will repeat it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 08:06   #10

Boat: BroadBlue 385 Catamaran
Unhappy Same Problem with D1-20 s

I have recently acquired a Volvo D1-20 twin powered catamaran. It seems to exhibit the same problem as nils boat. That is the oil pressure alarms are triggered at low revs.

So did Nils resolve his problem by increasing idling revs to 850 +/- 25? or was some other actions necessary.
JimPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 08:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPeg View Post
I have recently acquired a Volvo D1-20 twin powered catamaran. It seems to exhibit the same problem as nils boat. That is the oil pressure alarms are triggered at low revs.

So did Nils resolve his problem by increasing idling revs to 850 +/- 25? or was some other actions necessary.
what are your engines idling at?
Old 21-10-2008, 06:48   #12

Boat: BroadBlue 385 Catamaran
I have just checked on the boat. Both engines are idling at about 750 rpm on starting from cold. As the engines warm the port engine goes to 800rpm on idle and the starboard one remains at 750rpm. Both give oil pressure warnings.

Out of gear, increasing both engines to 850rpm stops the oil warning.

So problem solved! The basic thing is that the engines can be tuned (or left at) to below Volvo's recomended idle speed of 850+/-25 rpm. It is a pity this is not widely known by Volvo mechanics and owners of this engine type.

On my boat there is another strange effect. With one engine running, say the starboard one and with the port engine console switched on butengine not running, as the starboard engine is slowed down to the idle speed of 750rpm, the oil warning alarm appears on the port console !!!. Key switch on and rev reporting are all okay, but this warning appears on the wrong engine console !!! Feedback ?
JimPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 07:12   #13

engine idle is subjective and can be adjusted up or down on any engine.

The engine that is not running but has electrical on. Will always have an oil pressure alarm. The oil pressure switch uses oil pressure to break the circuit. When there is no oil pressure, the circuit is complete to ground and will alarm.
Old 27-10-2008, 07:13   #14

Boat: samson c-mist 32
"It is a pity this is not widely known by Volvo mechanics and owners of this engine type"

I just completed the instalation of my D2-40 and it states clearly in the manual what the idle speed is to be set at.

I searched the bavaria forum and found nothing to support the reply by "Alf" accept that there have been SOME reliability issues with the EVC box, and there is an updated box.
Part# 3843668 updated version is #21120710

I just checked my new engine, deliverd last year, and it does not have the updated EVC box, so I will be ordering it today. I guess VP is leaving it up to the customer to dig this info up on their own.
emeraldsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo