Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 15:05   #16

I did some more poking today and determined that the oil pressure switch is definitely shot. That doesn't rule out an oil pressure problem but it would be, yet again, a double failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Look inside the pour spout of your valve cover with a flashlight when the engine is running...do you see fresh oil getting to the cam and the valve lifters? If it is dry then shut it down immediately...you have a problem.
I did this experiment. There was oil reaching the valve lifters. Definitely not splashing but i could see oil in there. Should the oil actually splash around? I just saw a small amount of oil pooling up around the valve seats.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 00:22   #17

Boat: Chung Hwa 36 ft ketch
Re: Oil Pressure

I am the proud (new owner) of a Catalina 30 1981 model. The original Atomic 4
has been professionally re-fitted with a GOOD condition Universal M-18.
Googling research shows the original Kubota oil pressure sender underneath the present location of the exhaust elbow. I can see no sender underneath the exhaust manifold (near the starter selenoid?) and will not tear that thing off until toasted!
Bottomline: I found an oil filter sandwich plate for a Universal M-18 on eBay.
Does anyone know about this solution? Will it for sure work?
See my attached Google photos below if they upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pressure sender.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	104112   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil filter plate M-18.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	104113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Universal M-18 oil pressure sender.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	104114  
cal20dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 12:20   #18

Boat: CS36T

Oil pressure relief valve if stuck open could cause lower pressure, stuck close can cause higher pressure as their designed to release pressure when under load and engine is warmed up etc.....you really need an oil pressure guage (mechanical or an electrical one with a corresponding sending unit) to monitor what is happening.
When a cold engine is started the oil is generally thicker and will thin out as oil/engine heats up to proper running temps, example of idle pressure may be a bit higher at first until warmed up then it evens out, but without a guage you have no bench mark.
Old 07-07-2015, 16:03   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa 36 ft ketch

M18 oil pressure sender replaced
I located my old oil pressure sender by chasing the wire (duh?)under the manifold and above and slightly aft of the starter selenoid. I removed the screw attaching the wire to the terminal and slipped a deep 11/16" socket over the sender. There is just barely enough room to do this...I could not visualize the sender. The threads are 1/4" pipe and my new oil pressure sender also 1/4" pipe (Cole-Hersee engine alarm kit) was longer and fatter (1 1/16")but Eventually (after removing the alternator for marginally better finger access) I got the sender screwed in and tightened enough to not leak oil. (remember no Teflon tape to assure proper grounding of the sender.
I used a 3/8" pipe Tee to accommodate the temp gauge sender and 3/8" cole-Hersee water temp alarm sender.
I now have a water temp and oil pressure alarm with buzzer and water temp gauge. Installing a Tee on the oil pressure port seems impossible...barely enough access to screw in a single sender. (Which could of course be a oil pressure sender to a gauge if you prefer.)
cal20dennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil