Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 10:41   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Let us know how it works out.
kind regards,
Old 13-11-2010, 14:20   #17

**UPDATE**

Today I removed about 1/4 of a quart of oil from my Yanmar using the "oil extractor" I purchased from West Marine - a very nice product. Once I removed this oil, the level on the dipstick read about 3/4 of the distance between the "low" and "full" lines.

I went to start the engine and right away on the first turn it started. No black smoke whatsoever.

I ran the engine a little while giving it a little gas every now and then and the engine put out no more exhaust than usual. I believe it may be fixed. After running the engine, I checked the oil level and it read 1/2 the distance between the "low" and "full" lines.

I will check it tomorrow morning again, but I think this was the issue and now it is resolved.

Thanks again to all who provided input/advice.

While doing this, I also noticed that my drive belt is a little loose. Now I know what next weekends project will be.......
lake norman 285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 15:56   #18

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake norman 285 View Post
**UPDATE**

I will check it tomorrow morning again, but I think this was the issue and now it is resolved.

Thanks again to all who provided input/advice.

While doing this, I also noticed that my drive belt is a little loose. Now I know what next weekends project will be.......
Good to hear that.
Is this a great place or what!

Is yours one of the ones that say to check oil level 10 min after shut down? Apparently "the next morning" can give you an incorrect reading.

Which makes me wonder how oil level is kept up in charter cats. No way do they follow that "10 min" procedure.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 05:11   #19

Boat: Nauticat 321 Pilothouse
Send a message via AIM to MitchM
.."my drive belt is a little loose...' if you mean the alternator or raw water pump belt you need less than 1/2 inch deflection in those belts. if the belts are loose, you won't get proper charging from the alternator, or water pump speed from the raw water pump. if there is black dust under the alternator belt it should be replaced not adjusted.. adjusting the alt. belt tighter can be done by loosening the alternator support bracket bolt and moving the alternator outboard to tighten the belt.

"...Is yours one of the ones that say to check oil level 10 min after shut down? Apparently "the next morning" can give you an incorrect reading..."

actually the reason for waiting at least 10 minutes is that that is about how long it takes for all the lube oil in the cylinders, pistons etc to drip down into the oil pan so it can be counted in the dipstick's measurement. if you wait longer than ten minutes , you are pretty sure all the oil has drained down. wait til the next day or month , you are positive it has..
MitchM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 09:28   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post

actually the reason for waiting at least 10 minutes is that that is about how long it takes for all the lube oil in the cylinders, pistons etc to drip down into the oil pan so it can be counted in the dipstick's measurement. if you wait longer than ten minutes , you are pretty sure all the oil has drained down. wait til the next day or month , you are positive it has..
Actually what I have read from other owners here is that if you wait longer you will get a wrong reading. This goes against normal procedure and logic for all motors I have ever heard of but it is (seems to be) what it is.
I have a Westerbeke but enjoy varied knowledge.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 12:32   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Actually what I have read from other owners here is that if you wait longer you will get a wrong reading. This goes against normal procedure and logic for all motors I have ever heard of but it is (seems to be) what it is.
I have a Westerbeke but enjoy varied knowledge.
In the head/block of most motors there are many cavities that the oil may rest in after shut down. With the motor at an angle a lot of those cavities may drain a bit more so then a standard level motor. So, I believe Yanmar has adjusted the level to include a 8º angle, which it mentions in it's Op Manual. So by waiting 10 minutes it allows that oil to drain but after that it is in excess either due to the rocking of the boat or temperature changes.
Old 14-11-2010, 13:51   #22

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Psstont forget to take into account the amount of oil in the oil filter when measuring how much oil is removed.When changing oil and filter fill to between low and high on dipstick,start and run motor for a couple of minutes then switch off and top up oil to the high mark on dipstick.The engines do a great big job with such a small amount of oil so its best to check level often and top up as required.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, yanmar