Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-06-2014, 15:32   #31

Boat: Looking for that next boat...
Re: Oil level "rising"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate999 View Post
Had this problem last October ... Mine turned out to be the injector pump...
How did you determine it was the injector pump, did you replace the lift pump first? Or did you diagnose it another way? It may be a while before I'll be confident that I've fixed the problem and I'm curious how you were able to determine the source of the leak.

Quote:
...But yes, there was a pretty good sheen on the water also.
That's the main reason why I'm pretty sure it isn't an injector problem.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:03   #32

I'm still investigating this and am about 90% sure I know what's going on.

While digging through the engine's cooling system I found one issue, my coolant system was leaking. Not into the engine, but into the hot water heater. Good thing we don't drink water from the boat's water supply! I replaced the water heater, replumbed the coolant lines and flushed the system. One month later and everything seems to be 100% water tight.

Then after speaking with one of the Perkins experts at S&W and an oil analysis company, I've decided to run a little test:

First I changed the oil with 15w-40 again. I wanted to make sure I got as much of the old oil out as possible.

Then I ran the engine 1.5 - 2 hours a day for 4 days, checking fluids, water temp, etc. At the end of each run I closed the fuel supply petcock and the raw water intake.

The engine ran smoothly at a steady 78 degrees celcius, the exhaust was clean, and no fuel in the discharging sea water. When I checked the oil level at the end of the first run it was exactly where it was after the oil change. After the next days run, the oil level rose to about 1/4 of a quart (8 oz). After the second, third and fourth days the oil level remained at that same 1/4 of a quart above full.

Each time I checked the oil level exactly the same way: the following day after the engine had cooled, I pulled the dip stick, cleaned it, waited a few minutes, dipped it again and measured it.

The fellow at S&W told me that if the HP injector pump was leaking, the oil level would continuously go up. Since I'm not seeing that nor do I smell any diesel fuel in the oil, I'm beginning to think that this is "normal" for my Perkins. I've read that some engines can have "erratic" dip stick readings, perhaps that's what I'm seeing? Or perhaps oil is being trapped someplace and then released after an extended run?

The last test I will do is an oil analysis. Hopefully that test will tell me categorically if I have fuel leaking into my crank case.

W

Old 10-07-2014, 09:49   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Did you measure the oil level each time with the engine cold or with the engine warm? Oil expands with temperature.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Did you measure the oil level each time with the engine cold or with the engine warm? Oil expands with temperature.
I thought of that, that's why I checked the level the day after running the engine, while it was cold and long enough for the oil to settle into the pan. Air temps here have been around 70 degrees F each day.
Old 10-07-2014, 18:09   #35

A viscosity flow rate test using a mirror or similiar inclined to apprx 30degs may help confirm fuel dilution.
Old 17-07-2014, 16:57   #36

Re: Oil level "Rising"?

Another update. I sent an oil sample in for analysis and just got the results. To my relief, there was no sign of fuel in the oil sample. But, there was a trace amount of anti-freeze. Here's the comments in the report:

Quote:
In terms of wear metals, Pookela's engine is looking pretty good. Universal averages for a Perkins 4-108 engine are based on ~80 hours of oil use, so this level of iron is consistent with a short oil run, and hardly any other wear metals were present. The one unusual thing that turned up was sodium, which could be a sign of coolant or seawater, since this element isn't an additive in diesel use oil. The slightly low viscosity isn't an issue. Since wear is good, this oil can stay in use for now, but check back in 10-20 hours to make sure sodium and wear metals are steady.
Any thoughts on this? My plan is to run the engine, as recommended, for another 10-20 hours and then send in another sample. I'm rather surprised that there was coolant in the oil, it must be a very small amount as the oil's color isn't what you'd expect with a coolant leak.
Old 17-07-2014, 17:30   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Another update. I sent an oil sample in for analysis and just got the results. To my relief, there was no sign of fuel in the oil sample. But, there was a trace amount of anti-freeze. Here's the comments in the report:

Any thoughts on this? My plan is to run the engine, as recommended, for another 10-20 hours and then send in another sample. I'm rather surprised that there was coolant in the oil, it must be a very small amount as the oil's color isn't what you'd expect with a coolant leak.
Don't mess with anything lest you disturb the back to back oil analyses you are trying to achieve.

You are on the right path - monitor oil level and run the prerequisite 20 hours. Then send in your next sample.

A single oil analysis can tell you current state but nothing about changing state or how it got that way. The second test will reveal all!

How is water flow out the exhaust? Any significant blockage puts the last cylinder in jeopardy of getting some back flow through the exhaust valve.

Infrared temps scanners are dirt cheap these days - Everyone should have one. Shoot the temps at the base of each injector after warm up and under load. It may tell you if you have a cold cylinder.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 17:43   #38

Quote:
How is water flow out the exhaust?
Good, as good as any boat I've ever been on. When the engine is running, the water temp gauge slowly creeps up to 78 degrees celsius and stays there, exactly per the engine specs.

I'll look for a cheap IR temp gun, good idea.

Tags
oil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: