Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 08:16   #1

Oil in the Fuel

I have a perkins 4108 and I have a problem. Oil in the fuel this can only happen in the injector pump but how do you fix the fault. Is there a gaskit or oring I can change?
Divertitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Oil in the fuel or fuel in the oil?Only way I know to get fuel in the oil is a leaking injector.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52   #3

Boat: Irwin sloop
Oil in fuel?

I've never heard of this problem before, but the reverse(fuel in oil) will happen if the shaft seal in the pump starts leaking. Sadly these pumps respond badly to repairs by owners and should only be massaged by experts. If it leaks it's time to rebuild it, that should cost around $550. and should only be done by a certified tech. Good luck and let us know how you are progressing. Jesse
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 19:07   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
How did you diagnose oil in the fuel?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 21:57   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
How did you diagnose oil in the fuel?
Ditto! The only thing that would give it away is if the motor were smoking. Some actually encourage dumping used motor oil in their fuel tanks. Not for me though!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:42   #6

The problemis oil in the fuel. I noticed a change in the colour of the fuel in the filter when I changed it, my fuel return from the injectors is to the filter with a breed off back to the tank. Now aftre 60 hrs running I notice that the sight glass has a darker coloured fuel in the tank. I have never heard or seen this before!!!
I used to have a Gardner and they say that if you leave oil standing for 48hrs the top 80% can be added to desiel. Up to a total of 10%
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
is the engine loosing oil?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:14   #8

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
Are you sure it's not water in the fuel. Water in the fuel will result in black stuff that looks very much like oil. Fuel polishing would resolve that.

Regards, Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 08:45   #9

Unhappy

Engine is running great and I am losing oil, its a Perkins! If I pump fuel from the tank its a little discoloured with no water showing below the fuel. If I clean the fuel bowl no water and after 3 hrs the fuel in the bowl is back to almost black.? Worked on boat engines for years and never seen this just wanted to see if the pack had seen this problem before. Going to put a spare injector pump on and see what happens Cheers for the replies.
Old 14-01-2010, 10:50   #10

Boat: 26ft Navy Whaleboat
Had a Perkins 6-354 for many years. It started smoking,fuel turned very dark. Ran with clean fuel from a portable can & smoking stopped. Took injection pump to a shop & had it rebuilt...end of problem with that motor. I now have a 4-108 in a different boat. Last year fuel started looking very dark & I thought it might be the same problem,but had no smoking issues. I soon discovered that it was sludge in the tank that appearently started breaking loose & mixing with fuel due to running in much rougher seas than the boat had been in for years. Tanks were old so I replaced them. End of that problem. So..............if motor is smoking abnormally try running clean fuel from a another source. If smoking stops go with 1st senario. If motor is not smoking abnormally check fuel tank. Hope this helps.
Old 14-01-2010, 10:55   #11

Gerry
Great answer I will look at the tank as I have no smoke ...the oil loss may be down to normal 4108 leaks thanks again Titch

Tags
fuel, oil