Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 12:18   #1

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Oil filters, which would you recommend?

I just changed my oil and installed a Fram filter. I don't really care for Fram and I was wondering what brand of oil filter this group would recommend. I have a Universal M25, Universal filter 300209.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:23   #2

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Oil filters, which would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I just changed my oil and installed a Fram filter. I don't really care for Fram and I was wondering what brand of oil filter this group would recommend. I have a Universal M25, Universal filter 300209.
I recall reading a rather long article about the pitfalls of "equivalent" oil filters. Hopefully someone here will have a link. I'm pretty sure they agreed with you, that Fram is junk.

I end up just hemorrhaging the money on the OEM filters - one thing I remember reading was that "equivalence" with respect to oil filters had to do with whether or not it would fit. It ignores stuff like material, or perhaps more importantly, the pressure at which the filter begins allowing oil to bypass the (clogged) filter.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mobil 1 or K&N.
They are actually the same filter, the K&N has a 1" nut welded to the bottom like an aircraft filter so if you feel the need to safety wire it etc., but they both far exceed most other filters, media wise, anti-drainback valve, can thickness etc.
They are the money is no object, I want the best there is filter.
There are several other fine filters, Baldwin and NAPA Gold, come immediately to mind.

Fram is Junk, has been for years
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

Napa Gold for the money is a very good filter. You can find them at any NAPA store, and are about the same price as a Fram.

Your filter crosses over to these
NAPA 1064
NAPA 1334
NAPA 1338
NAPA 1344
NAPA 1381

Heard Wix makes the NAPA Gold and here is there Xref. Truck drivers love Wix on their rigs.
Wix 51064
Wix 51344

I wouldn't use a Fram oil filter on my Lawnmower. Boat motors are too expensive and too important to use one of the worst brands on them. Look at the cut aways at a part store or goggle it.

I'm not afraid of Fram fuel filters
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Normally a name is just marketing crap, but I am pretty sure there is a difference between NAPA, and NAPA Gold
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58   #6

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

WIX or Baldwin is all I use (and they seem reasonably priced on ebay).

Sent from my HTCONE using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 14:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use Baldwin and buy online. Baldwin filters meet or exceed OEM standards. I buy a lot more filters than most of you and I can get case prices that are much better than local suppliers. I get them here: BF Web Express :: Air Filters, Oil Filters, Fuel Filters, Lube Filters, Coolant Filters.
Also, if you're using spin on filters and want cleaner oil, and if you have room buy a filter that has a longer can. Most small engines have a 3-4" can but a longer version (same threads, seal diameter, micron) is made for larger engines. The longer the filter, the slower oil passes thru. The slower the oil flow, the smaller the dirt size is captured. And a longer can absorbs more water.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:20   #8

I used a Wix on a Universal 25XP-B I had a few years ago. Mobil1 is what I use on my current Yanmar.
ron.stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:38   #9

What Mobil1 filter for a Yanmar2 20?
PuffAdder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:05   #10

To extend this discussion a little, I have a Perkins 4 108 and would like an "off-engine" filter setup, with the filter mounted on a bulkhead wall, and hopefully some way to drain the old oil from the same location. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:10   #11

Boat: Gemini 3000

If you take a moment to Youtube oil filters and dissection of them you will find Fram to be of the lowest "quality" filter on the market. Its also the least expensive and the dissection of them show why. Quality control is also a huge issue. As a 30 yr heavy equipt mechanic I had many times over the years to attend filter classes. I attended a WIX class in Sacto CA and we dissected them. The random Fram spinon right, out of the box we opened had a huge curl of metal inside, hanging by a thread, from the rough cut threads for mounting. Antimony layer on bearings allow for imbedablity of micro particles, this was huge. I have not used a Fram on my own equipt since, but I have used them in fleet service as that is what was supplied buy parts dept. I use OEM manufacturer, Royal Purple filters ( costly but so is a rebuild) or Wix.
Kayoko Monk 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:24   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

Got to say I've been using Fram, now switching to Wix. Thanks for the heads up!
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:35   #13

Boat: Bristol 35.5

I have a Universal 5424. the only filter listed for this engine is a fram. Fortunately, for this motor, fram now makes an upgraded filter, so check to see if that is the case for your situation. I don't know if any other filters would fit, but fram was the only one listed---in my engine manual. the original frams i don't really consider to be filters; the upgraded one seems to be a real filter. Some of the other filters mentioned are quality filters; just be sure they have a model that will fit your engine.
txoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:49   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhippiesailer View Post
To extend this discussion a little, I have a Perkins 4 108 and would like an "off-engine" filter setup, with the filter mounted on a bulkhead wall, and hopefully some way to drain the old oil from the same location. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Be careful, I installed a remote mounted filter because it gave me the capability of using a big filter, pre-filling it with oil for changes and no mess oil changes.
But the O-ring leaked badly between the adapter and block, (o-ring got pushed out of it's groove).
I figured maybe I had over tightened it or something so replaced the o-ring and re-installed, only to have the low oil psi alarm come on later as the o-ring again blew out.
So if you go that route, make sure its a quality part. I tossed mine and went back stock.
Old 13-01-2016, 09:59   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is pretty good, although he doesn't explain a lot like more pleats = more filter media etc., but it is pretty funny. It does show the internal differences between filters. BTW orange drain back valves are silicone, which handles high temps better, is more flexible and therefore seals better. Drain back valves only matter if your filter is mounted upside down or sideways, it prevents the oil from draining out of the filter after the engine is shut down.

Tags
men, oil, oil filter