Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2018, 18:54   #1

Oil everywhere

I sucked the oil out of my motor the other day then undid the oil filter and I had a flood of oil released. Straight into the bilge of course.

My question is, is this normal? My filter mounts vertically so I wasn’t expecting oil to gush out. I was expecting it all to be retained in the filter. Do I prepare for this next time with a catch bucket, or is there a pro way of avoiding this problem?
rossl32123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 18:59   #2

Re: Oil everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossl32123 View Post
I sucked the oil out of my motor the other day then undid the oil filter and I had a flood of oil released. Straight into the bilge of course.

My question is, is this normal? My filter mounts vertically so I wasn’t expecting oil to gush out. I was expecting it all to be retained in the filter. Do I prepare for this next time with a catch bucket, or is there a pro way of avoiding this problem?
If you drained the oil from the crankcase first, then I would say you can expect this to be normal for your engine. Most engines, don't, but some do.

"Pros" will always put down oil absorbant pads, and put a heavy plastic bag around the oil filter before it is removed to catch the oil that either floods or trickles out...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 19:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Oil everywhere

What do you mean by vertical, you mean upside down?
If so, then yes your going to get a lot of oil out, assuming the anti drainback valve in the filter is functioning as it should.
It keeps the filter full so that on start up, the engine doesn’t have to fill the filter and starve for oil pressure waiting for the filter to fill.

If I had an engine like that, I believe I’d consider a quality remote oil filter kit that allows among other things to remove a filter without spilling a drop and for prefilling a new filter with oil.

However a trick to help prevent your mess is to have a 1gl ziplock freezer bag under the filter to catch the mess, a freezer bag is tougher than a regular ziploc bag.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil