Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 19:30   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Oil Change Pumps

I have a CD33, with a Yanmar diesel, are there any recommendations out there for a good hand oil pump. I know there is no clearance for draining the oil thru a plug, and that I will have to pull the warmed oil thru the dipstick. Thanks for any advice.
vfsurgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 19:48   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: oil change pumps

This is the one I use:

Little Pal Utility Pump

the neoprene boot at the end gets soft over time, and may need a little TLC (or replacement), I wish they used a slightly more oil-resistant material, but overall reasonably happy.

they make a big brother that I've never tried:

Marine Engine Oil Drain Pump
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 20:22   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I second the Little Pal Pump. They pump well and you can disassemble them to clean the oil out. Dsand, if you clean it each time the rubber lasts much longer, though not forever .

Jabesco Little Pal Hand Pump - MFG#34060-0010
Old 28-09-2014, 20:31   #4

I did replace the dipstick hose with a piece of rigid aluminum tubing that just fits in my dipstick tube. I find it much easier to get down into the oil sump (my dipstick tube - Volvo - is dead straight), any curves and you'll have to use the hose.

As for cleaning, the whole point of me having a dedicated oil pump is so I can leave it dirty Even so, it's the best I've found, I just have to put a hose clamp (or cable tie) around the boot after it softens and it keeps on going for years.
Old 28-09-2014, 20:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I like the aluminum tube idea and I certainly understand the reason to not clean it each time.
Old 28-09-2014, 22:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
. . . , it's the best I've found, I just have to put a hose clamp (or cable tie) around the boot after it softens and it keeps on going for years.
I've been through four oil change pumps since I've had my boat (the previous boat had a built-in hard-wired and hard-plumbed electric one-- luxury)

The first one was a Little Pal -- those soft boots which would fall off and splatter oil all over the place were the reason to retire that. Really messy.

Then I had two (2) Seago hand pumps with the spherical jug. They are cheap and don't hold up well. The handles come off, and the second one just stopped pumping one day.

Then I bought an electric pump from Force4 which stopped working in the middle of the first oil change. I returned that.

Now I have a Pella -- the large one with the cylindrical reservoir. Now finally this is a nice, well-made piece of gear. It is much more powerful than the Seago ones and seals perfectly. Based on my experience, that's what I would recommend.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 22:58   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've been through four oil change pumps since I've had my boat (the previous boat had a built-in hard-wired and hard-plumbed electric one-- luxury)

The first one was a Little Pal -- those soft boots which would fall off and splatter oil all over the place were the reason to retire that. Really messy.

Then I had two (2) Seago hand pumps with the spherical jug. They are cheap and don't hold up well. The handles come off, and the second one just stopped pumping one day.

Then I bought an electric pump from Force4 which stopped working in the middle of the first oil change. I returned that.

Now I have a Pella -- the large one with the cylindrical reservoir. Now finally this is a nice, well-made piece of gear. It is much more powerful than the Seago ones and seals perfectly. Based on my experience, that's what I would recommend.
+1 a little bulky to store but it WORKS !!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 23:32   #8

I have the west marine oil extractor. It is nice to just pump it, then let it fill on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jeffjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 03:07   #9

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjd View Post
I have the west marine oil extractor. It is nice to just pump it, then let it fill on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ditto, this thing is GREAT, no mess, well made, wide base prevents spillage, easy to dispose of the oil when drained, has a cap so does not need cleaning, hang tube vertically and suck last few drops out, then run a little solvent thru it. Maybe what I like best is it is hands off while draining, leaving me free to do something else. Found it on craigslist for $30

I had the little brass job, messy, short-lived and inefficient.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 03:18   #10

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I used to have an installed electric one, can't remember the name, but they are out of business. I bought a Harbor Freight transfer pump and it works great for oil and diesel.
Old 30-09-2014, 03:24   #11

I have been using this one for a couple years. It might be a little big for some engines, but it works very well. It will extract cool oil pretty well..... but everyone probably knows that all extraction pumps work better if you warm the oil first.

Mityvac Fluid Evacuator — 2.3 Gal. Reservoir | Oil Extractors| Northern Tool + Equipment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	174
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	89007  
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 03:24   #12

Boat: Tartan 40

I have a drill powered jabsco one. My trick is to hose clamp a section bigger hose onto the outside of dipstick tube and directly to the pump. Empties the oil in like 1 minute flat. Better than trying to suck oil through a little hose. Why not use the full diameter of the pipe that already goes to bottom of sump, the dipstick tube?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 03:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have a drill powered jabsco one. My trick is to hose clamp a section bigger hose onto the outside of dipstick tube and directly to the pump. Empties the oil in like 1 minute flat. Better than trying to suck oil through a little hose. Why not use the full diameter of the pipe that already goes to bottom of sump, the dipstick tube?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I agree.......I have a couple drill chuck driven Jabsco's that I use with a 110 volt ac drill. I love them! I tried using them on my dewalt 18 volt drills, but they would heat up pretty quick. Havn't tried it them using my newer 20 volt yet.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 05:13   #14

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Attaching a hose to the dip stick tube is far superior to a small tube inserted in the dip stick tube. I don't know where I saw the suggestion to attach to the dip stick tube but I tried it and never looked back. I use the drill powered Jabsco pump.
Old 30-09-2014, 07:39   #15

There are some days when I wonder why I log in to CF, and then there are other days when I learn a bunch of new things. Here I am, having been doing things the same way for years, accept the limitations, and never even think to ask a question about it.

Along comes the OP (thank you) and asks, and out pop a bunch of options for what may be a better mousetrap (thanks to all who made the suggestions). These are the things I love on this forum.

As to tube down the dipstick, or suck from the top, I've tried both, and in my sump about 1/4 of the oil gets left behind if I suck from the top. With less than a gallon in the thing that's not a lot, but at the same time I like to get as much as possible. Guess it depends on the design of the sump and the 'stick tube.

Thanks again (even if I'm not the OP) for teaching an old dog new tricks.

Tags
oil, oil change