Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 14:44   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Oil Change Pump Needed

On my Perkins 4-154 there is a manual pump fitted for changing the oil. It leaks and is pretty tired. I would like to replace it. Not thinking I want to get anything electric just another good quality hand pump that can be plumbed in. Any recommendations appreciated.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 15:19   #2

Re: Oil change pump needed

I use one of the oil boy models (pictured below; used it for draining the diesel tank as well).

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - Eric's Blog - cleaned out the diesel tank*today

It's not permanently mounted but I push the little whip through the dipstick. It works for oil and I've drained some other fuel tanks with it (once the tank is too low for scooping with a cup). I think I got it as west marine.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 15:43   #3

Re: Oil change pump needed

Yes, that pump in the pic is the way to go. Works far better than the other pumps. Can be slower than an engine mounted hand pump...but who cares...it works by itself once started.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:01   #4

Re: Oil Change Pump Needed

I have used those pumps before and they are fine but I really like the idea of a small hand pump plumbed right to the oil sump. The original pump that came with the engine worked great aside from the leaks. I just had to put a gallon jug under the spout and pump. We are going to be cruising and I dont want to lug around some oil change pump and tank and messy hoses.

Im considering using one of these pumps jabsco pumps and just plumb it in like the original one was.

Old 27-12-2011, 14:26   #5

Boat: Cal 2-30

The cannister hand pumps at West Marine work great. The one in the above pic just made a big mess for me.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:35   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Those little Jabsco hand pumps are pretty good, just don't pump gasoline with them. It makes the red rubber parts stretch out and they won't stay on the tube. That's not an issue in your application. Jabesco Little Pal Hand Pump - MFG#34060-0010

Is the pump on your Perkins one of those pretty little all brass pumps? If so I'd look into rebuilding it.
Old 27-12-2011, 14:53   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I had the same one as Rebel, after the second oil change, the pump started spraying oil out the handle. A few hours cleaning up oil stains in the fabric nav station seat, and I'll be going with something else this time. I was going to try the Jabsco.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 14:55   #8

Boat: Trapper 300

Hope this is on post. I have one of these permanent jabsco oil fitting. Does anyone know if the drain plug threads of a yanmar 1gm10 will fit this, or generally has anyone any experience with these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jabsco_oil.png
Views:	244
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	35168  
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 04:31   #9

Yeah, like said above, the M_____ vacuum oil change pump is the way to go. Even if it is a bit slow thru the dipstick tube, it is 'pump and forget'. I have a pan drain pump too, but it is too messy and pumping it is not much fun.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 06:16   #10

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Might be able to buy one from Beta, I think they are standard on their new eingines.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 06:59   #11

I agree with the others a vacuum canister system like the Topsider is the way to go. Especially because of it's versatility. I used it for oil changes when I had my diesel. Then used it to drain the diesel fuel tank after I converted to electric propulsion:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: REMOVING DIESEL FROM THE FUEL TANK
Could probably use it to drain the transmission fluid too.
Old 29-12-2011, 01:09   #12

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

the reason why the oil boy started spraying oil out of the handle is, I believe, because you have to remove all the oil from the thing after the prior oil change. that was the problem with my Pela. if you start with the pump empty you don't have a problem
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 02:41   #13

Boat: Lagoon 37

I use the small brass hand pump and have not had any problem at all with it, other than "pilot error", like hose jumping out of gallon jug on the down stroke
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 03:06   #14

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

I got sick and tired of dealing with a messy hand pump,with it's hoses and did not want to deal with storing a vacuum type pump, and deal with it's mess. (I am a full time liveaboard). I installed a permanent 12volt pump. (West Marine). Cost was at that time, 8 or so years ago, about $100. Now about $130. Speeds up oil changes and makes no mess at all since all hoses stay in place. Just have to find container each oil change, which is brought to an oil recycling center and left.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 10:38   #15

The ever helpful Sheri at Trans Atlantic Diesels was able to supply me with a new OEM pump for the Perkins ($100) . I really like the idea of all the plumbing staying inplace and simply placing a jug under the spout. Theres no way Im going to take one of those cannisters with me cruising. I think if I was going to do anything different it would be to use an electric pump but all the ones I looked at other than the drill pump were fairly pricy.

Tags
oil change