Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 13:07   #16

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: OEM oil filter substitute

That kit uses a bigger filter for the remote and its one that is easier to get than the stock one.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 01-10-2014, 13:16   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
That is Derale part number 15718? I have been looking for a kit and not finding one, but putting one together from Moroso parts and some AN hoses. More costly.
Appreciate it.
The one thing that I don't like about about the Derale kit is the hose clamps to hold the hoses on. I'd rather see hydraulic line type hoses made up.
Old 01-10-2014, 13:30   #18

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Exactly. Not being really good at it myself, I would cut the supplied hoses to fit then go to Hoseman or a place like it to have hoses professionally made in the same length.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 01-10-2014, 14:08   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pretty much any farm tractor or industrial machine shop can make hoses while you wait, they would be hydraulic hoses and way exceed requirements, be stiff though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 14:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The one thing that I don't like about about the Derale kit is the hose clamps to hold the hoses on. I'd rather see hydraulic line type hoses made up.
These wouldn't be the same hose clamps that keep your boat afloat, antifreeze inside the engine and fuel in the fuel hoses would they...
Old 01-10-2014, 15:56   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
These wouldn't be the same hose clamps that keep your boat afloat, antifreeze inside the engine and fuel in the fuel hoses would they...

Yes, But all those are at much less pressure and lower temps.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 16:21   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Sounds like reengineering the product. a64pilot is right about how easy it is to get hydraulic hoses made. Sounds like overkill.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

My Filter of choice is Baldwin, here is the link to the oem look up Baldwin Filters | Lube Filters

Be careful when you do a relocation unit, as you will most likely need an anti-drain back filter.

Baldwin has a cross reference to most all engine manufactures online at the link, they also have a good tech department, that will help you.

Hands down in my personal opinion the best filter available, use at your own desecration.

Lloyd

and by the way only use proper crimped hoses, those goofy hose clamp hoses will let all your engine oil into the bilge, and make a big mess. If you don't have good engine alarms, they will also ruin your engine.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, But all those are at much less pressure and lower temps.
Plus these hoses need to deal with the vibration between the engine and the solidly off-engine mounted filter. Making up hydraulic hoses should be a pretty cheap and easy improvement.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:39   #25

Anyone have technical knowledge about filters?
I'm looking at the specs for filters that I might use with remote filter kit for my Yanmar. Of course, I don't have access to the actual Yanmar specs. The Wix cross-referenced filter 51568 shows a by-pass pressure of 16psi. The FRAM cross-referenced filter PH3593A shows a by-pass pressure of 12psi. The Fram PH16 used on the remote is spec'd as 8-10psi. How critical is the by-pass pressure on an oil filter? What does the by-pass actually do?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Tech tips at Baldwin filters.

Also just to note, at Fisheries Supply in Seattle, they had a display of 4 filters all cross referenced to the same engine. Baldwin, Wix, Frame, and i don't remember the other one. Each filter had a portion of the canister cut away so you could see the internal differences of the filter brands.

What was notable was the pleat count in the Baldwin was about 150% greater then the other filters. Also the seals at the top and the bottom of the canisters were more robust on the Baldwin. As well as a much more rob center tube.

Tech tips from Baldwin Filter for filter construction and micron efficiency,
Filter Performance Testing.

I have no relation to Baldwin, just use their product, after much research into the best filter.

Lloyd

Quote:
I'm looking at the specs for filters that I might use with remote filter kit for my Yanmar. Of course, I don't have access to the actual Yanmar specs. The Wix cross-referenced filter 51568 shows a by-pass pressure of 16psi. The FRAM cross-referenced filter PH3593A shows a by-pass pressure of 12psi. The Fram PH16 used on the remote is spec'd as 8-10psi. How critical is the by-pass pressure on an oil filter? What does the by-pass actually do?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07   #27

The bypass is there to allow oil to continue to flow, if the filter medium is completely blocked. Of course at that point, you won't get any more filtration.

The bypass pressure seems to relate to the effective particle size of the filtration, and the area of the filter medium. In other words, they are trying to make the filters last about the same length of time.

Generally, Wix seem to filter down to a smaller particle size than Fram.

The bypass pressure should never be an issue with proper maintenance.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09   #28
Marine Service Provider

Your WIX number cross reference to Baldwin is a B161-S

Descriptions: Full-Flow Lube Spin-on Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
20 PSID By-Pass Valve Fits: Acura, Ford, Honda, Mazda Automotive; Kubota Engines Replaces: Ford D87Z-6731-A; Mazda 8173-23-802 Thread: M20 x 1.5 O.D.: 3 1/32 (77.0) Length: 4 1/16 (103.2) I. Gskt.: [1] Included UPC: 791440002050

Lloyd

Quote:
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
You may want to read this?

FAQs| FRAM
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22   #30
Marine Service Provider

Yanmar 4Lh-HTE Baldwin Look up = B161-S Lube, and BF7534 Fuel/Water Separator Spin-on with Threaded Port .

Lloyd

Quote:

Tags
oil, oil filter