Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-10-2014, 10:32   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: OEM oil filter substitute

Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
I suppose if you hose-clamp a magnet on your oil filter it would not hurt anything

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
You get the good ones, the rare earth ones and it takes a screwdriver to pry one free, no hose clamp needed

This is the aircraft oil filter I used to use, it has a circular magnet almost identical to the one Allison uses on their transmission oil filter
Tempest Plus > Products > Filtration Products > Oil Filters

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 15:22   #47

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Re: OEM oil filter substitute

I don’t have a problem with using a filter that was properly constructed with a built in magnet, or adding a magnet to a filter that does not have a built in by-pass valve. I would however be concerned about adding a magnet, especially a very strong one, to a filter with a by-pass valve.

The by-pass valves I have seen are a metal plate held in place by a spring and I would be concerned that the magnet could, depending on where it was placed, either hold the valve closed or, more likely, reduce the pressure needed for it to open. I have no direct evidence of this but I don’t think I would risk it. A magnet elsewhere, like the old magnetic sump plug, seems like a much better idea.

Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote

oil, oil filter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: