While re-installing my injectors:
Using my new torque wrench for the first time, I have it set to half the torque but haven't done any mental math to think about how hard I should be pulling on the handle to get that torque.
I'm going back and forth between the two bolts when one shears off in the head
. I'm shocked as I felt no click, so I back off the other bolt a little bit, turn the torque down to a quarter the value I need and try to feel for the click, thinking I must have missed it. The second bolt immediately shears off (must have had a weird twist on it from the saddle which was now being held by only one side).
I then got smart and went to the dock
to test the operation of my torque wrench. It was jammed and made no clicking sound. A couple of taps cleared it and I now know to test its operation before use!!
I use an extractor to pull out the first bolt, but the lifting lug is in the way on the second one and the drill chuck keeps unscrewing because it's rubbing on the lug. I manage to drill the second bolt at an angle as a result and can't extract it.
I now realize that I can just unbolt the lifting lug and get it out of the way. I try to straighten the hole a bit using a smaller drill bit but break the bit. Luckily, it breaks off high enough up that I can pull it out of the hole. I work on extracting that bolt for an hour, but I'm starting to get too close to the threads and fear I'll mess them up.
Just as I'm about to give up, I bump the detached lifting lug and it falls down and gets wedged between the block and the heat exchanger
. This wouldn't normally be a problem, except that the glow plug
relay is attached to the lug and has exposed contacts...
So sparks fly and the lights go out. I grab for the lug, but it's wedged. Instead of reaching 3' to my left and switching off the power, I fixate on getting the lug out of there. It's wedged for about 20 seconds, but in that time, one of the two hose clamps holding the heat exchanger
to the block glows cherry red and then breaks. Amazing what five AGM
batteries will put through a bronze heat exchanger.
At that point, I gave up and hired a mechanic who successfully backed out the last sheared bolt.