Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-03-2013, 21:05   #16

Ran the motor at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes in neutral. Water came out in spurts (like a dodgy shower head). Could the outlet of exhaust be partially blocked as it is not pouring out?

Old 31-03-2013, 21:29   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Not alot of water coming out of exhaust!!!

The water isn't coming out because it isn't coming in. Fix it or just leave it and buy a new engine for $15,000.00 when you're done. It's up to you.

Old 31-03-2013, 21:29   #18
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

You are up to speed on warer lift exhaust right? At the risk of being droll, it sounds fine. You could try and imagine about 1/3 the volume of your water lift, shooting out every few moments. You should check to see that you are full flow all the way from the heat exchanger to the wet exhaust pipe. Any restriction will screw up the flow and temps and pressure. And by the way, get rid of any stupid little valve on the anti-siphon loop and plumb it ovbd through a 1/4" hose to a small thru hull.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45   #19

Boat: Catalina 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myorayacht View Post
Ran the motor at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes in neutral. Water came out in spurts (like a dodgy shower head). Could the outlet of exhaust be partially blocked as it is not pouring out?
That sounds like it might be right. It doesn't pour out in a constant stream. Can you take a video with your phone or camera and post it? (We might have different opinions of what a dodgy shower head looks like)

The most common place for clogged exhaust is at the riser, where the water and exhaust are combined. Its a very good idea to remove and inspect that section every year or two. Because of other projects I have had going on I have removed mine every year for the last 3. But once those projects are finished I will remove and inspect every 100 hours (sailboats don't use our engines much so that should be every 2 years or so).
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27   #20

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Water should come out in bursts. Assuming you have checked your raw water impeller, I suggest you run the engine under normal load for half an hour whilst checking the temperature of the exhaust pipe. Once you have a temperature , check with an expert to see whether it is within normal operation limits.
If things start smelling or feeling too hot during this test, abort.
Regards,
Richard.
Old 03-04-2013, 13:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

100C is way too hot. Don't let it get that high.

Check your cooling system from beginning to end as SWW has suggested. Start with the saltwater intake thruhull fitting and go all the way through to check for any obstruction.

"Ran the motor at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes in neutral. Water came out in spurts (like a dodgy shower head). Could the outlet of exhaust be partially blocked as it is not pouring out?"

Did the engine run hot when you did this test in neutral? How about when in forward gear? When doing these tests don't let your engine overheat.

Now, if the propeller is too large it will also cause overheating when in gear. What size is your prop? If there is line wrapped around your prop shaft preventing it from turning easily by hand when in neutral then it could be the problem. There just are so many reasons why the engine could be overheating that it is a process of elimination.
Old 20-04-2013, 03:52   #22

Simple solution: check hoses for cracks, even the parts that you can't see. The one covered with melted duck tape is usually the one that's cracked (previous owners fix-it skills). Replace duck tape with the original super tape =Temporary solution. Pressure is restored and water flow has increased. Hopefully this is the end to this problem! Thanks everyone! 👍⛵😊
Old 20-04-2013, 06:28   #23

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Hey there,

I have a Perkins 50hp Diesel engine in my 36ft sail boat.
Occasionally people stop as we're motoring along and say we have not much water coming out the back of the boats exhaust (has done this since I have owned it) and diesel mechanic hasn't mentioned the problem whilst fixing other minor issues. Motor runs at 900 rpm and 95-100 degrees
Also.. The motor uses about a cup of coolent per trip (3-4 hrs) - maybe this is associated???
Anyway, hope someone out there can help me out!!
Cheers!
Ah... I couldn't figure out why your motor was running so cold. I thought maybe you were getting a faulty reading, but I bet you are using those fancy pants foreign CELSIUS degrees! Probably 3/4 of us here are Americans and we use good, honest, Fahrenheit degrees. If you are in Celsius, your engine is running quite hot. Check your thermostat as well as your raw water system. Your water pumps too.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 08:02   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
My engine (very new) always spits the water out in spurts. For my engine (3 cyl 20 hp fresh water cooled Yanmar, about 18 months in) -- that's how it's supposed to be.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:08   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Growly... I missed 100C too before my first post... Yikes...

As usual for CF... There is no resolution posted...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 00:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Growly... I missed 100C too before my first post... Yikes...

As usual for CF... There is no resolution posted...
Is now running no hotter than 80 Celsius.
We think the exhaust problem is fixed (super tape on a split on the exhaust hose). However today ( after running it yesterday) we noticed the green coolant fluid had turned clear and tasted salty.. So, Emptied the heat exchanger box and tightened hoses too it and refilled with coolant and ran again, will check again tomorrow. Anyone have any possible reasons to why the coolant is now salt water??
Old 21-04-2013, 00:59   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

My engine (very new) always spits the water out in spurts. For my engine (3 cyl 20 hp fresh water cooled Yanmar, about 18 months in) -- that's how it's supposed to be.
True.. Apparently because theirs an 's' bend in the exhaust pipe to build up pressure and then every 10-13 seconds a large spurt Of water comes out. In between the large spurts does a light spray of water come out???
Old 21-04-2013, 01:30   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Not a lot of Water Coming out of Exhaust!

Quote:
we noticed the green coolant fluid had turned clear and tasted salty.. So, Emptied the heat exchanger box and tightened hoses too it and refilled with coolant and ran again, will check again tomorrow. Anyone have any possible reasons to why the coolant is now salt water??
The tube stack inside the heat exchanger is where the raw sea water cools the coolant, I suspect this is where you have a leak,the sea water is entering the coolant circuit and replacing it.
Re the original problem of little water out of exhaust; I had the same issue after I opened and cleaned my sea water strainer and put it back; the o-ring was so tired and hard the strainer cap connection was no longer airthight, thus the impeller was sucking air through the cap rather than sea water from the seacock. Not having a spare I used grease to seal the cap and it worked fine as an emergency repair. Replaced the o-ring at first chance. Maybe something for you to check too.
Erik
Old 21-04-2013, 01:53   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

oh and if you haven't checked the impeller yet better check, if there has been little water flow it is probably damaged due to lack of lubrication by insufficient water flow.
Old 21-04-2013, 08:07   #30

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Is now running no hotter than 80 Celsius.
We think the exhaust problem is fixed (super tape on a split on the exhaust hose). However today ( after running it yesterday) we noticed the green coolant fluid had turned clear and tasted salty.. So, Emptied the heat exchanger box and tightened hoses too it and refilled with coolant and ran again, will check again tomorrow. Anyone have any possible reasons to why the coolant is now salt water??
There. 176f degrees max... much better. Erik is right. Your heat exchanger is shot. You may have salt deposits in your block. And remember that there are chemicals in your coolant such as propylene glycol that are really bad to ingest. I don't taste coolant. Yuck.

The tape on the hose should not be regarded as a repair. Replace the hose.

Again, change your impellor. It should be changed every couple of years even if the engine is not started. Rubber gets old and brittle. Pieces of a perfectly normal looking impellor can break off and travel around where they shouldn't be traveling. You have TWO pumps in your cooling system, too. One raw water pump, most likely an impellor type, and one for the engine coolant, possibly centrifugal similar to a car's water pump, possibly impellor type. You may as well check it, too. Be sure it has a good seal and everything looks good inside. Remember, just because a rubber impellor looks good doesn't mean it will be good for much longer. More than two years old, I say replace. They aren't that expensive. And get a spare. You might also want a clear strainer in the discharge of the pump, to catch bits of impellor where you can see them and so they don't clog up something on down the line.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, exhaust

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: