Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 16:41   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Non Yanmar coolant ok?

I need to move my boat about 60 mi on Sat. I was there on Sunday doing a checkup from the winter and noticed my port engine is low on coolant. The overflow tank is empty, but there is coolant. The boat has about 250 hours, so no coolant has been changed yet.

I am unable to get Yanmar coolant prior to Sat. Can I use something I can pick up at a local autoparts store, add a bit of water, do nothing, etc? Any good advice is appreciated.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 17:08   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Non Yanmar coolant ok?

Probably better to just add water instead of mixing different coolants. Use distilled water if you want to be extra careful.
Old 23-05-2018, 22:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Gee I've only used the autoparts coolant. Same goes for oil filters, though I get the good ones. Yanmar does not make coolant or oil filters. They just rebrand it with markup.

I agree that adding water may be better short term as some coolants are not as compatable with some.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 23:22   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

The operation manual identifies alternative coolants, at least it does for 3ym
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 23:57   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

for my non-yanmar engine, it specifically says to top up with water.

Doing so will not hurt your engine, no matter what the Yanmar agent says as he tries to sell you their oh-so-special coolant.

Jim
Old 24-05-2018, 00:43   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Use deionized water only -- not tap water.

But you should be able to use any pink (OAT) auto coolant. Unlike motor oil, there are no brand-specific incompatible additives in coolants, as far as I know.

I would respectfully disagree with my colleagues about running straight water. Even without any risk of freezing, your engine needs the anti-corrosion additives, which is also why we need to change coolant regularly -- at least every two years.

I do recommend not taking any of our word for it though -- call the Yanmar dealer and double check all of this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 04:45   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There is a huge difference between "topping up" with deionized water and replacing the entire coolant with deionized water.

Yes do use the "proper stuff" when changing the coolant but water is sufficient for occasional topping up between changes (IMO).

However do investigate any excessive loss of coolant.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:37   #8

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Shell Rotella ELC is fully compatible with Yanmar coolant. Readily available at most auto/truck parts outlets.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:38   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I think posters are misusing some terms.

De-ionized water, also referred to as "hungry water" in lab applications, will attempt to regain that missing ion. In doing so it will take what it needs from whatever surfaces it has available. This is not good for water purity, nor for the donors of that lost ion. Frequently I have used glass piping to maintain water quality when faced with de-ionized water.

Instead use distilled water, water that has had most of the mineral content removed.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:18   #10

Boat: Prout Event 34

The mechanic for the Yanmar distributor said not to use the "green stuff", only red or orange. It's worked for me.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:33   #11

Boat: Casacde 36

Wait, back up the truck a moment. If the system is low, and the expansion tank is empty, you have a coolant leak which needs to be fixed. Go to a local auto parts store and they'll loan you a system pressure tester, most likely for free. It is important for the system pump to function properly it must retain pressure; can't do that if it's leaking. Also check the pressure cap;
You've got a days' run ahead of you so, if you decide to just top it up and go, use water , as it won't make a difference for this one day.
After that, I'd recommend draining, flushing with fresh water then use a good quality antifreeze of any automotive type. Just don't mix regular with long life. But first, fix the leak.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:52   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Wait, back up the truck a moment. If the system is low, and the expansion tank is empty, you have a coolant leak which needs to be fixed. Go to a local auto parts store and they'll loan you a system pressure tester, most likely for free. It is important for the system pump to function properly it must retain pressure; can't do that if it's leaking. Also check the pressure cap;
You've got a days' run ahead of you so, if you decide to just top it up and go, use water , as it won't make a difference for this one day.
After that, I'd recommend draining, flushing with fresh water then use a good quality antifreeze of any automotive type. Just don't mix regular with long life. But first, fix the leak.
Wot he said! Loss of coolant should not be ignored.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 10:14   #13

Boat: ODAY 28

if just the overflow tank is empty and the engine has coolant in it. I would just add water to the over flow tank and check for leaks also check your exhaust
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 10:45   #14

Boat: Outbound 44

Coolant color is not an indication of compatibity. Here's what Baldwin Filters says
Quote:
The color of
antifreeze is no longer an accurate indicator as to whether it is an IAT, OAT,
HOAT or NOAT formulation. F
Old 24-05-2018, 10:55   #15

Do NOT NOT NOT depend on the color of the coolant to determine replacement coolant.

READ THE MANUAL, FOLLOW WHAT IT SAYS, AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE MATCHING COOLANT CHEMISTRY.

Some coolants should NOT be mixed. Every diesel engine I have owned specified a diesel rated coolant not a coolant one would use in a gas engine.

Example.

My JD tractor, which has a Yanmar diesel engine, uses a JD GREEN coolant. This coolant is the same color as most gas engine coolants in the US but it is DIFFERENT. My diesel truck engine, came with a Ford GOLD coolant but Ford also has used a GREEN coolant for the same engine. The green coolant is NOT the same chemistry as the GOLD coolant or the "common" gas green coolant. The Ford green and gold coolants should NOT be mixed. The Ford GREEN coolant is NOT the same chemistry as the JD GREEN coolant and they should not be mised.

However, the JD GREEN coolant is the same chemistry as the Ford GOLD coolant, so I used the JD GREEN coolant to replace the Ford GOLD coolant in my truck. But this required me to make sure the dealership put in GOLD coolant when they did some work that required replacing the JD GREEN coolant. Ford GREEN coolant is NOT the same chemistry as JD GREEN coolant and they should not be mixed.

One can use whatever brand coolant you can find or want to use, just make sure it matches the coolant in the engine and the new coolant matches the manual specifications.

Do not use coolant color to determine which coolant to use.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, yanmar