Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2017, 12:53   #16

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: Noisy shaft when sailing after installing new engine and new seal

I assume you had the old shaft re aligned after the new engine went in . ? Did you see them use a feeler gage ? The noise sounds like missalignment . Could be a loose motor mount also .

stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 13:12   #17

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I think I know what it is. I just repowered my boat a couple of weeks ago.

When the boat was in the yard, with the old engine out, I turned the shaft and prop by hand. That noise came out. It was the shaft rubbing against the aft lip of the cutlass bearing, I'm pretty sure.

With no engine in, you can see how much play the shaft has in it just resting in the cutlass bearing and the dripless seal. In the case of my boat, I would say there was between 1/4" and 1/2" of play at the engine-end of the shaft.

If you think about the geometry a bit, it is perfectly possible to have the coupling faces align perfectly, both parallel to each other and in line with each other, but have the shaft running at one extreme or other of that play in the cutlass bearing. If that's the case, then the shaft would sing as it spun against the aft or forward end of the bearing.

I'm getting a little bit of this kind of noise myself when I shift into forward or neutral at low rpm.

My question: is this something that will just wear away after a bit, since the casing of the cutlass bearing is a softer metal than the shaft? Is it something you should try to correct?

It seems to me it would be difficult to correct with the boat in the water. You'd have to move the whole engine up, down, or sideways a fraction of an inch, align the coupling plates again, and then take it out for a sail to see if the noise went away. Or is there a better way to get rid of it?

Does this sound familiar to any mechanics out there? Am I on the right track? is this something to try to fix?

Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 15:01   #18

Boat: Valiant 32

Volvo sell little Tooth paste tubess of grease that have a nozzle that slips through the lip seal to grease it, you could burp the seal by pressing sideways on it until all the air comes out of it.
That is supposed to be done at launch as the stern tube will air lock causing the cutless to run dry.
Hope that helps
Qayaq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 15:07   #19
cruiser

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Hi,
We just replaced our Yanmar 3GM30 with a brand-new 3YM30AE engine. during the install we also changed the volvo dripless seal and the cutless bearing.

We always have sailed with the transmission in Neutral (as advised by Yanmar) and have never had this problem. We have a Fixed prop.

Strange thing is that it only happens when under sail after a couple of hours when sailing at a nice speed (6+ kt). It does not happen under engine.

We are getting nowhere with the Yanmar Rep in Greece except switch to a folding prop (which we are not going to do).

I've linked a short video so you can hear the noise.
https://youtu.be/kmZIl6eQnlc
Sounds like the shaft is rubbing on the shaft hull exit. After a repower, it is
often necessary to realign the engine after launch, rig tuning, and a few hours of
run-in.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 19:41   #20

Boat: Catalina 350

My first thought was a misalignment between gear box/shaft coupling however given there is no noise when motoring then that scrubs that. However when you are motoring maybe you can't hear it because of engine noise, maybe. Have you spoken to an experienced (old) marine engineer for advice?
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:54   #21

Boat: Reinke Hidra Duo 66'

Hi, on our last drydock a month ago replaced the packing seal (wet seal traditional type ) and since then we have the same noise but only when sailing at around 5 knots -not more nor less ) . Can't tell when the engine is running as the engine noise is higher but I assume it's the same, just that I don't hear it.
We have a 66' ketch with a perkins sabre 215 HP.
In 2 weeks will start a 1500' passage and I'm expecting/hoping that the noise will disappear after a few days of sailing.
We'll keep you posted.
Cheers
Fede
Fede OceanTramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 18:06   #22

Sounds like either cutlass bearing whine or shaft rubbing on the shaft log. First check engine alignment with shaft centered in log tube. If it still makes the noise, check cutlass for wear.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 20:52   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Singing prop?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:02   #24

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Water lubricated dripless seal,lubricates by water pressure from the cooling system. If engine not running,no lubrication after a while ??? Maybe cause of noise.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:36   #25

Boat: Reinke Hidra Duo 66'

Hi, an update on this topic, as expected after a few hours sailing the noisy totally disappeared.
cheers

Fede OceanTramp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, sail, sailing