Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 07:16   #1

No diesel filter?

My father has got a 30yo 35ft Dutch steel cruiser (powerboat) with a 50hp Peugeot diesel that is usually on a Swiss lake.

The boat was Holland for some major maintenance two years ago. While servicing the engine, the Dutch found out that the engine was about to die very soon because of broken cylinder heads. So the engine was replaced by a reconditioned engine of the same type.

So far, so good. Today, while we got the boat ready for the season, we wanted to drain the Diesel tanks for the first time since new engine is in. There is quite an amount of debris in the tanks apart of some little water. But I assume this is within tolerance as the tanks have not been drained for years. However, what confused us a bit more was that we couldn't find a diesel filter anywhere between the tanks and the engine. The fuel feeder line is new. Looks like the Dutch have replaced it together with the engine but did not add a filter.

My father cannot recall if there was a filter on the old engine but to me, installing a new engine without fuel filter sounds totally inappropriate or am I wrong? Could tank debris even be a reason for worn out cylinder heads in case the old engine did not have a filter, neither?

Thank you for your opinions,
Florian
Airjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:57   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: No diesel filter?

It’s insane to not have a water separating fuel filter on a Diesel engine.

Water and debris can wreak havoc on the high pressure fuel system.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:32   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

A fuel filter is essential and mandatory, preferably 2, a primary and a secondary.

Are you sure there isn't at least a secondary? They are usually supplied by the manufacturer and mounted on the engine itself.

In the picture below the secondary filter is black, under the silver-gray housing with the valve and the clear yellow hose connected to it . The oil filter is white, forward of the secondary filter.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 18:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The issue with diesels is the injector tip. It has very small holes that can become plugged with debris. Plus circulating debris thru your pumps wear away valve seats and tight fitting parts.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 19:38   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjordi View Post
My father has got a 30yo 35ft Dutch steel cruiser (powerboat) with a 50hp Peugeot diesel that is usually on a Swiss lake.

The boat was Holland for some major maintenance two years ago. While servicing the engine, the Dutch found out that the engine was about to die very soon because of broken cylinder heads. So the engine was replaced by a reconditioned engine of the same type.

So far, so good. Today, while we got the boat ready for the season, we wanted to drain the Diesel tanks for the first time since new engine is in. There is quite an amount of debris in the tanks apart of some little water. But I assume this is within tolerance as the tanks have not been drained for years. However, what confused us a bit more was that we couldn't find a diesel filter anywhere between the tanks and the engine. The fuel feeder line is new. Looks like the Dutch have replaced it together with the engine but did not add a filter.

My father cannot recall if there was a filter on the old engine but to me, installing a new engine without fuel filter sounds totally inappropriate or am I wrong? Could tank debris even be a reason for worn out cylinder heads in case the old engine did not have a filter, neither?

Thank you for your opinions,
Florian
Lack of a filter would not greatly contribute to a worn out cylinder head but will wreck the high pressure injector pump and injectors.

As others have posted, it would be highly unusual for the engine not to have an engine mounted filter normally fitted between the fuel lift pump and the high pressure injector pump.

And having another filter between the tank and the engine is normal practice.

It can't hurt to fit one yourself.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 07:24   #6

Alright, thanks so much for your answer. Will see that there will be a filter, soon!
Airjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 07:47   #7

My power boat has water separator, a filter then it goes thru a screen at the lift pump. If an injector gets clogged and that cyclinder is not getting the right spray pattern or not enough/no fuel it could cause damage. That cylinder could wash out I think?

JD
JD2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 10:56   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Lack of a filter would not greatly contribute to a worn out cylinder head but will wreck the high pressure injector pump and injectors.

As others have posted, it would be highly unusual for the engine not to have an engine mounted filter normally fitted between the fuel lift pump and the high pressure injector pump.

And having another filter between the tank and the engine is normal practice.

It can't hurt to fit one yourself.

Yep, large one with a water trap between tank and engine and smaller one on the engine between the lift pump and the injector pump to catch anything which gets by the large one.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 13:15   #9

Boat: no boat any more

"Racor" is the name

Tags
diesel