Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 20:32   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: no air filter on Yanmar 3GM30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Combining a mixture of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen with a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and a few trace gases results in a mixture of silicon and oxygen among other things.

The silicon (atomic number 14 ) comes from nuclear fission of the lighter elements carbon (atomic number 6) and oxygen (atomic number 8)
6 + 8 = 14

Where do you think the energy to drive your propeller comes from? Basically a diesel engine is a nuclear fission reactor.

It must be true. I read it on the internet!
Stu, Stu... it ain't fission for gawds sake, it is fusion that you are describing, and what goes on in your diesel is halfway between cold fusion and the usual thermonuclear fusion that folks are working on with Tokomaks and H-bombs and such like. You could call it luke warm fusion. Popular Science will be doing an article about luke warm fusion any day now, with instructions on how you can bleed off enough electrons to charge your batteries... likely put all the solar panel guys out of biz. It's only drawback in marine diesels is this pesky silicon contamination, but a really good air filter will take care of that problem.

Isn't it a good thing that CF has us boffins to explain things to the noobies?

Jim
Old 09-02-2016, 20:51   #47

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnoldsalt View Post
Why do you need a filter? Nothing cleaner than sea air.
That is unless you happen to be located three or four miles from a giant export coal loading wharf as I am where on a windy day, coal dust is always in the air.
Coal trains in excess of a mile long, hauled by a minimum of four huge locomotives arrive constantly 24/7 ... photos of these trains taken on a clear day show a cloud of black dust blowing off them as they travel the track to the dock. Each coal car is turned completely upside down to empty the contents into a hopper which in turn loads it onto a conveyor belt to the stockpile.
This is done on a continuing basis; As soon as one train is emptied, another train is standing by ready to take its place so yes, it can be a pretty dusty environment. And even though this coal dock is in Canada, the product comes from the good ole USA because, they don't want this type of dirty export operation in that grand ole country. I think it might be one of those NIMBY situations, so let's ship it through Canada.
Although the operation is mostly automated, I guess we should be thankful it provides a few jobs.
Strange though it might seem, Uncle Sam does not want our dirty oil from the Alberta Tar Sands run through a pipeline to the G.o.M. ... Pres. Obama squashed that for us so one can hardly call it tit for tat.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 20:52   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnoldsalt View Post
Why do you need a filter? Nothing cleaner than sea air.
That is unless you happen to be located three or four miles from a giant export coal loading wharf as I am where on a windy day, coal dust is always in the air.
Coal trains in excess of a mile long, hauled by a minimum of four huge locomotives arrive constantly 24/7 ... each coal car is turned completely upside down to empty the contents into a hopper which in turn loads it onto a conveyor belt to the stockpile.
This is done on a continuing basis; As soon as one train is emptied, another train is standing by ready to take its place so yes, it can be a pretty dusty environment. And even though this coal dock is in Canada, the product comes from the good ole USA because, they don't want this type of dirty export operation in that grand ole country. I think it might be one of those NIMBY situations, so let's ship it through Canada.
Although the operation is mostly automated, I guess we should be thankful it provides a few jobs.
Strange though it might seem, Uncle Sam does not want our dirty oil from the Alberta Tar Sands run through a pipeline to the G.o.M. ... Pres. Obama squashed that for us so one can hardly call it tit for tat.
Old 09-02-2016, 20:53   #49

Sorry about the duplicate response, guess I got a twitchy finger.
Old 09-02-2016, 21:22   #50

FYI the reason a diesel's intake is so noisy is because there is no vacuum sound doe's not travel in a vacuum a gas engine is quite at idle (high vacuum) as it nears wot there is no vacumm and gets noisy. All the elaborate plumbing you see on automotive air intakes is to tune out the resonance.marine manufacture's care little about noise
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 21:48   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Stu, Stu... it ain't fission for gawds sake, it is fusion that you are describing, and what goes on in your diesel is halfway between cold fusion and the usual thermonuclear fusion that folks are working on with Tokomaks and H-bombs and such like. You could call it luke warm fusion. Popular Science will be doing an article about luke warm fusion any day now, with instructions on how you can bleed off enough electrons to charge your batteries... likely put all the solar panel guys out of biz. It's only drawback in marine diesels is this pesky silicon contamination, but a really good air filter will take care of that problem.

Isn't it a good thing that CF has us boffins to explain things to the noobies?

Jim
Well spotted. You missed the oxygen in hydrocarbons though.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 21:51   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
FYI the reason a diesel's intake is so noisy is because there is no vacuum sound doe's not travel in a vacuum a gas engine is quite at idle (high vacuum) as it nears wot there is no vacumm and gets noisy. All the elaborate plumbing you see on automotive air intakes is to tune out the resonance.marine manufacture's care little about noise
Rubbish! You've obviously never watched Star Wars!

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:21   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Runamuk.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 18:06   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wostenberg View Post
Rhapsody-NS27
I have a yanmar 1 cylender and would like to have a manual and parts manual. How do I find which one I have?
Thank you
My Yanmar YSM8 single has the model no stamped on the block behind the cylinder & also on top of the gearbox Wostenburg, hope that helps.
I replaced air intake muffler with oiled foam type pod filter as we had fan belt dust problems. Noticed no difference in noise levels but admittedly it's a noisey, shakey, worn single banger & it may be noticeable on a modern multi-cylinder. After 20hrs running noticed air cleaner had changed colour & closer inspection revealed it was covered in ceramic fibres from the exhaust heat shielding. Doubt they do much good for the engine internals. Have you ever noticed all the dust motes in your cabin under certain light conditions? Guess where they end up?
Cant see why people are fanatical about fuel filtering & ignore air filtration as you pump a lot more air than fuel thru yr engine. I guess ignoring air filtration wont stop yr engine quickly tho unless you ingest a rag :-(
As for the original manufacturer not fitting one I have seen too many not the best things from a mechanical point of view from OEM's to trust them blindly. If you fit an aircleaner with sufficient capacity the only downside is expense
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar