Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 11:23   #1

Boat: Seaward Slipper 17
Newbie Question about Outboards and Dinghies

We just purchased a used 16' X-Boat daysailer. This is our first sailboat and what we intend on learning on (we are just getting into sailing). The boat does not currently have a motor. The previous owner docked it at his cabin, but we are going to be trailering it around to different Minnesotan lakes.

Again, speaking with very little experience, I feel like we would need something to push us out from the landing and bring it back in again...?

2 Questions -

1) Does it need one?
2) Assuming yes to #1, will an electric trolling motor be enough to move us around?

Thank you!
aj911501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:39   #2

Re: Newbie Question about Outboards and Dinghies

I think some folks manage fine without motors using oars or paddles, but they certainly make things more convenient. Keep in mind, in a lot of jurisdictions a boat with a motor needs to be registered and a (small) annual fee paid, while a boat that small without a motor may not.
saghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:43   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

I wouldn't think she would need an outboard, but if you really wanted to fit her with one a small trolling motor would work. But I would think a little 2.5 would probably be a better option, no battery to lug around and solves the inevitable issue of where to put the battery etc. But if it were me I would just use her as is.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:45   #4

Oh, ok. So you'd say just a paddle would be good? Visions of that scene from Tommy Boy just kinda keep surfacing
Old 26-02-2019, 11:48   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Hi AJ. Also from Minnesota here, south metro. Send a note if you're interested in meeting up some time.

I think that you will find that most x-boats do not have motors. Instead oars or paddles would be used for the occasional maneuver that cannot be accomplished under sail.

Be mindful of the fact that x-boats are essentially dinghys and are susceptible to capsize, and that a few capsizes are part of the learning process for most people new to sailing in these lightweight craft. As such you would want any motor to be well secured. If a battery is used you would want to be sure that it will not leak acid if it is on its side (or inverted), and that it is well secured as well.

Enjoy your new boat!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:49   #6

On the regulatory side, in Minnesota you will have to register it and have a sticker either way. If you have a motor you will also have to put the 2" high numbers on the side.
Old 26-02-2019, 11:56   #7

Hey Jammer,
Thanks for the head's up! And yeah, from what I was seeing there really isn't anyone using a motor with it.

So without one I just need the sticker, yeah?
Old 26-02-2019, 11:58   #8

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Woohoo! More sailors in Minnesota!

A trolling motor will also force the letters on the side, regardless of boat length.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/re...atingguide.pdf

PS I would think the X-boat would row fine with 8' oars but I have yet to try one.
PPS Messabout on Lake Pepin is the first weekend in June 2019
PPPS It would be fun to organize a CF 'greater MN get-together' of sorts
Old 26-02-2019, 12:18   #9

I am tentatively planning on being at the messabout for at least a day. I should have my canoe project done by then, and I'm thinking of anchoring my sailboat just off the beach.
Old 26-02-2019, 12:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I switched from a 2hp outboard to an electric outboard. I like it much better, no fuel no $300 a year to get it running again like with a 2 cycle outboard. You'll need decent thrust, probably mid range. I bought mine on Amazon for $200 for 55# of thrust. Moves a Livingston at about 9-10 knots.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 12:41   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Newbie Question about Outboards and Dinghies

aj911501, you will have great fun with your Xboat on the lakes around the twin cities and beyond and the nearby rivers. Years ago,when I lived in Minnesota, I had a 16’ trailerable AMF Sunbird without a motor. It was easy to mover her with a short canoe paddle that fit inside the cockpit. And I could also get her moving by sculling with the rudder. I’m sure you don’t need a motor on your boat unless you anticipate going long distances on windless days or going upstream in strong currents.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 14:54   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

An X-Boat is a dinghy, not a keel boat. Even an experienced skipper is likely to flip one occasionally (that's part of the fun).

As a beginner, you will almost certainly flip it a few times. You don't want a motor attached when you do.

For a dinghy that size, a couple of paddles secured inside is all you should need.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 09:04   #13

Boat: Pearson

I fyou are new to sailing I would recommend a motor, yes a trolling motor would work but an outboard 2.5 hp gas motor would serve you better, your skills at this time may hamper where you go or return. If needed get a good motor mount.
Old 27-02-2019, 09:20   #14

If you decide on a gas motor, there's a guy in Mound selling older 3hp 2 stroke motors on craigslist for $400, ones he's fixed up. Typically these were used for duck hunting or canoeing in the 60s and 70s. Most are lightly used. I have a couple I've fixed up myself and they're good, self-contained, lightweight (28#) alternatives. The old green ones call for a 16:1 mix which is pretty oil-rich and smokey, from about 1961 and later (white paint) run at the fairly standard 48:1 and are more desirable.

Johnson and Evinrude made a folding motor the same size but I've never come across one locally. There's a hinge in the leg and you pull a lever or something and it folds in half, making a much smaller package for storage or travel.
Old 27-02-2019, 09:39   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
An X-Boat is a dinghy, not a keel boat. Even an experienced skipper is likely to flip one occasionally (that's part of the fun).

As a beginner, you will almost certainly flip it a few times. You don't want a motor attached when you do.

For a dinghy that size, a couple of paddles secured inside is all you should need.

Bingo.

And learn to get in before the wind dies at 6pm. Paddling sucks.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard