Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2015, 08:33   #16

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Re: Newbie Engine Question on Water Separation

Should not be any seacocks in the fuel system.

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:45   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380

Busted! That is what I get for replying while at the bar. Was dealing with seacocks earlier today so it was on the brain. Correct, not the seacock, the shutoff valve to/from the fuel tank. Sorry about that...

Old 09-06-2015, 08:52   #18

Perfect explanation, thanks! One follow-up would be where the manual fuel pump is located on the 3YM30?

Also I'm still considering the switch to the Raycor in the future... Wondering if folks have suggestions on a model and filter micron size that would work. Not sure where to find the gallon per hour rating for the engine. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
I have the very same setup, it's easy. The Volvo Penta is just the brand of the filter, which is the part between the top and bottom. First step is to close your seacock to the fuel tank. Put something below all of it to catch the draining fuel. Remove the bolt on the bottom which will drain all of the fuel out of filter. You can use the off-center bolt on the top which is the bleed screw to let air in the top while draining or checking for water separation. The center bolt on the top is connected to a long shaft that goes through the filter to the bottom. It holds it all together. Once drained you can undo this to remove the bottom and filter. Replace filter and put everything back together. To bleed the system at this point I tighten everything back up on that filter. IMPORTANT: REOPEN the fuel seacock to the tank! I then loosen the bleed screw on the top of my secondary (fine) filter and use the manual fuel pump on the engine to pump until I have fuel coming through the bleed screw on the secondary filter. I think I've captured all the steps. Once you get going it's pretty self explanatory. Let me know if you run into any problems.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:08   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380

Here is a picture. My thumb it touching the pump. You have to pump it a good bit to clear the air.

I came close to getting a racor, they are very good. However the 3YM30 engine is just a 30hp engine so it is kinda overkill. I've also got a catamaran so buying two of them is pricey. The CAM filter housing we both have had worked great for me. Filters are cheap and you can get them anywhere. Replace often and use the drain plug and bleed bolt to check for water separation and you should be fine. Just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433865885600.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	103473  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:28   #20

Thanks for the photo... Very clear now. I'll be giving the whole process a go tomorrow (hopefully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
Here is a picture. My thumb it touching the pump. You have to pump it a good bit to clear the air.

I came close to getting a racor, they are very good. However the 3YM30 engine is just a 30hp engine so it is kinda overkill. I've also got a catamaran so buying two of them is pricey. The CAM filter housing we both have had worked great for me. Filters are cheap and you can get them anywhere. Replace often and use the drain plug and bleed bolt to check for water separation and you should be fine. Just my opinion.

Tags
engine, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: