Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-09-2017, 21:54   #1

New Volvo Penta D2-40 Starting Problem

I recently installed a new, right out of the box 2017 Volvo Penta D2-40 diesel in our Rival 36 that has the following problem: The starter engages smoothly then the engine starts with a very loud metallic bang and very pronounced vibration that sounds like something is going to break. Is this normal operating procedure for either the D2-40, or D2-55 engines? The dealer and I have checked everything that we can think of and I am at wits end. Many thanks in advance for any help, or insight as to the problem that any of you may able to provide.

Cheers, Chris

Old 21-09-2017, 22:13   #2

Boat: Outermer 50S
Re: New Volvo Penta D2-40 Starting Problem

We have a pair of D2-40s in our boat and they start up with a quiet little purr, so, no, doesn't sound normal. In fact, these are probably the quietest starting engines I've dealt with.

Are the mounts firmly bolted to the boat? Any chance the engine is rising up and banging down?

If it's internal to the engine then it seems it's time for the dealer to get Volvo involved.

Old 22-09-2017, 04:08   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Certainly sounds very abnormal. The timing doesn't seem right, but maybe have a look at this thread:

Shearing bolts on elastic coupling D2-55C
Old 22-09-2017, 04:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 04:11   #5

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Volvo Penta D2-40 should purrr like a kitten. You have a problem for sure.
Old 22-09-2017, 14:25   #6

Many thanks for the feed back that the problem as described is certainly abnormal behavior for the D2-40 and 55. I hope to get more feed back like that to help me convince the Penta dealer that there is indeed a problem and as the engine is under warranty it is his problem to diagnose and fix. I have checked the mounts and the engine is firmly bolted down. I have the standard transmission and propshaft shaft installation and I am not sure that it has Torsional Damper. Any one know if the T/D is standard on both the sail drive and gearbox units?
Old 22-09-2017, 18:44   #7

Both the inboard and the saildrive engines use the same torsional damper.....mounted on the engine flywheel and transmits power to the input shaft of the saildrive/gearbox. It's possible that there could be a problem with the damper, but if so they usually make their clunking noise on engine shut down, when the crankshaft comes up against compression for the last time and kicks backwards.

What's the possibility that the prop shaft is not centered in the shaft log, and when the engine first starts the prop shaft hits against the inside of the log or fiberglass tube? Then when the engine settles into running smoothly there is no further contact. Try disconnecting the prop shaft coupling from the gear box and starting the engine.

My D2-55 starts and stops smoothly....no noise.

DougR
Old 22-09-2017, 21:19   #8

Many thanks, Doug for answering my question about the damper being on both engines regardless of the drive. I didn't mention it in my post, but upon shut down a similar metallic sound is also emitted. Almost certain now that the problem is with the torsional damper. Engine runs smoothly in gear and out, no problem with shaft alignment or transmission. The forum has been a huge help in narrowing down the problem.

Tags
penta, volvo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: