Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2007, 16:01   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
New Volkswagon Marine Diesels

I see that VW has new diesel engines out. These are actually built by VW and are available in NA in 40, 50 and 60 hp, normally aspirated. Look good.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 18:27   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
I see that VW has new diesel engines out. These are actually built by VW and are available in NA in 40, 50 and 60 hp, normally aspirated. Look good.
Looked at them awhile back for our trawler project. One dealer here in Ontario up Midland way. They couldn't give me any definitive pricing though as there weren't any in the country yet. Nice concept. Don't know about spare parts availability and VW is notorious for proprietary parts. Read, no aftermarket, which means expensive. Might be some inconvenience until they can build a network of dealers and spares.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 19:08   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rick, I understand it is the same engine used in the VW cars and trucks so it would just be the marine parts that are different. That's basically the same situation as many other marine engines. However the marine specific parts are probably the ones you would need (highest failure rate) in a marine environment. If they are built well that shouldn't be any more of a problem than basically any other marine engine, except perhaps Yanmar.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:57   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Rick, I understand it is the same engine used in the VW cars and trucks so it would just be the marine parts that are different. That's basically the same situation as many other marine engines. However the marine specific parts are probably the ones you would need (highest failure rate) in a marine environment. If they are built well that shouldn't be any more of a problem than basically any other marine engine, except perhaps Yanmar.
Heya Frz, thawed out yet?

I've pretty much narrowed the field down to Yanmar or Westerbeke. The designer is plugging Nanni, which has a new Cdn distributor in Montreal but then again, there doesn't seem to be any network of support for them just yet. Also looked at Isuzu and a few others. Think I'll stick with the Yanny based on reputation and potential for resale value down the road. I'd like to do the Glacier Bay/Ossa diesel electric setup but its too far outside of our budget.

Putting things off for a year to get some "real life" issues in order.
Old 25-05-2007, 05:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Are you kidding, it's 2 deg. c out there right now...but at least there's no snow, yet...

Funny how life can get in the way of our "wants". I hope things go well for you.
Old 25-05-2007, 05:51   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you kidding, it's 2 deg. c out there right now...but at least there's no snow, yet...
Well they don't call it "Winterpeg" for nuttin'! Stay warm!

It was 36 deg C here on the way home last night!
Old 25-05-2007, 08:20   #7

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I put a new Westerbeke 64A in my sailboat last fall, it runs great, only turns 2600RPM.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 12:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A few minutes after my last post I stepped outside to go to my Tai Chi class and it was ssssnowing... Nuttin serious, just a reminder that it is Winterpeg all right...
Old 25-05-2007, 13:51   #9

Boat: Trismus 37
Nanni is a marine conversion company as is Westerbeke they both use propriety engines from other manufacturers, I know that bthe small Nannis sold here in New Zealand are based on Kubota engines that are considered almost bullet proof. Westerbeke used to use Perkins engines many years ago I don't know what they use now.
Cheers. ps. no snow here, although winter starts next week.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 21:54   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I have a 50 hp Pathfinder (VW) motor in mine with 7000 hours and it's running real good. It's a 1981 model that was used in the small VW trucks.

They are a bit on the light side so you can NOT really load them down for too long so it's better to use a motor that's a little too much (instead of a 50 hp, use the 60 hp) to push to hull speed.

e.g. My motor max rpm is 4000, hull speed is at 3000 if I push it to 3200 I get another .5 kt.

It's better to use the rpm, kind of like a gas engine then to load them down for too long.

My boat is 14K #. I've been told by people that have heavier boats (20K) with the VW 50 hp that they lost their motor due to too much stress.

The common ratio is usually 500 # to 1 hp. Mine comes in at 280#
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 01:10   #11

Boat: Trismus 37
That looks a very tidy engine, it appears quite narrow? at present I have a 22hp kubota pushing our 7.5 ton alloy Trismus 37, it runs well but has been poorly installed and maintained by the previous owner. On any up grade I am limited by the size of the propellor aperture which allow a maximum of 15" diameter so increased horsepower isn't going to make a lot of difference.
Steve.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 01:53   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
BTW

This is/was the dealer on this Continent that deals in the VW diesels.

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/se...ompleteProfile
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 07:35   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

US Distributor is

Ring Power | Industrial Truck & Marine Engines

VW site is

Volkswagen Marine >*Home*<
Old 26-05-2007, 15:55   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I compared the VW 100 hp engine (TDI 100-5) with the Perkins/Saber M92 which is rated at 86 hp.

The max torque on the VW is less than the M92.

The VW's max torque is around 275 nm at about 2500 rpm.

The M92 reaches max torque at a much lower rpm and is fairly flat between 1200 and 1600 rpm, at about 320 nm, and doesn't drop down to 280 nm untill around 2100 rpm. Max rpm for the M92 is 2400 rpm.

It looks like the VW has more torque when both engines are near max rpm.

Of course the VW is much lighter at 255 kg compared to 423 kg for the M92. That is engine only weight.

In case anyone cares...<GR>

Tags
diesel