Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2003, 22:24   #1

New (used) engine

I decided that the Yanmar 1GM 6.5 hp in my 28' S2 was too small for my style of cruising. I found a good Yanmar 2GM (13 hp) ($2000). My boat was in my yard on jack stands. Getting the 1GM out wasn't a real problem, I did it by myself. Getting the 2GM in was another matter. I messed up my back just moving it on the ground. I got my two machinists from work to help. They took one look at it and said "Piece of cake".
There were no trees available to hoist the engine up onto the boat. We put an extension ladder against the boat at about a 30 degree angle, fastened the engine to heavy plywood, and used one of the winches to drag it up the inclined ladder. Once in the cockpit, we slid it down into the cabin on two 2x4s and then onto the starboard berth. It was then walked back into the quarter berth and slid down inclined boards into place. I was amazed at how well this went.
Engine runs very well and having suffcient power adds greatly to my peace of mind
dbohara is offline   Reply With Quote