Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-07-2015, 15:05   #1

Boat: 1977 Dufour 31
New (to me) boat, and engine maintenance

Hey everyone,

I was recently gifted a 1977 Dufour 31 (thanks Charles), and this is my first real boat (we had a Flying Scot when I was a kid). I want to go through the engine before I take it out for the first time. I don't think much maintenance has been done to it over the last few years, though.

The details:
Beta Marine BD-20 diesel engine (installed in 2008, around ~50 hours on the clock)
Twindisk TMC40 transmission
Vetus LP50 exhaust manifold
Racor 500 fuel/water separator
Packless Sealing System stuffing box seal

Given this setup, and the boat having not been sailed in ~2 years, sitting in the water the whole time, this is what I'm planning on doing for each component of the drive train:

Diesel:
Replace fuel filter (Beta/Wix filter)
Replace oil filter (Beta/Wix filter)
Replace water pump impeller (Beta)
Replace serpentine belt (Napa)
Drain/Fill Oil (Rotella)

Transmission:
Drain/Fill ATF fluid (Rotella)

Exhaust Manifold:
Inspect for rust

Fuel Water Separator:
Replace filter element (Racor)

Packing Seal:
?

Other:
Replace cone and egg zincs on the driveshaft

Some questions:
1. Should I drain/refill the diesel fuel tanks? The diesel in there has been in there for at least 2 years, I'd imagine.
2. How many quarts of oil does the engine take? I can't find that info on the Beta Marine website. What weight do you guys recommend?
3. The manual for the transmission uses the terms Oil and ATF fluid interchangeably. I should be using ATF fluid, NOT motor oil, I'm assuming. How much should I buy?
4. Do I need to do anything with the stuffing box seal? The manual mentions doing something to it to introduce water between the seal mating surfaces if the motor has been sitting for more than 3 months without running. I'm not sure how to do this.
5. Is there an air filter for this motor?
6. Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

The rubber hoses are all still nice and flexible, not hard, brittle, or cracked, and the hose clamps are all doubled up and offset, so I think the plumbing is good to go.

Old 20-07-2015, 23:42   #2

Boat: 1977 Dufour 31
Re: New (to me) boat, and engine maintenance

bump..

Old 20-07-2015, 23:54   #3

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
New (to me) boat, and engine maintenance

Get a manual for the engine and tranny for fluid requirements. 50 hrs on the engine? 2 days running since 2008?

Packing seal. Will the shaft spin by hand?

Have u run it?

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 21-07-2015, 00:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I would keep the fuel unless there is very little. It's a pain to pump out and dispose of properly. I've brought a number of engines back to life after sitting for years. My current boat sat 6 years. 2 mains, 2 generators. I added some fresh fuel, a fuel catalyst and started them up. After they warmed to operating temp, I changed the oil and all the filters. That way any gunk gets caught in the old filters. I had some smoke, but it went away during the trial run. A vacuum gauge on the engine side of the Racor will show when filter is getting plugged. Carry extra filters for awhile.
I don't know your engine, but you should find oil capacities on line, maybe an engine manual. Ebay often has manuals. Your Racor should be your primary fuel filter and usually is a 30 micron filter. On or near the engine should be your secondary fuel filter and is usually a 10 micron. Fill the new filters with fuel, then make sure you know how to bleed the air out of the fuel system.
You can slack the adjusters for the packing gland until water just drips, turn the shaft by hand a revolution and then tighten until the drip stops. I adjust my 1942 packing glands to slightly drip while running and that translates into no drip when sitting. Check every time you run. Overtightened packing can wear a groove in the shaft. It's possible but not likely that the seals in your water pumps could fail. The rubber gets hard and splits. On my trip home after buying this boat I had 2 pump seals fail, but I had spares.
Save your old impeller and belt for emergency spares.
Old 21-07-2015, 05:47   #5
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Just make sure that fuel tank is not full of condensation. I see you have a good fuel filter but it would still be bad to end up drawing water into the main fuel system.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-07-2015, 09:02   #6

Boat: Scout 30

The first thing I'd do is install a small electric fuel pump with a switch in front of the racor. Drain the racor & then run the pump. If you get a lot of water in the bowl you have a lot of water in the tank from condensation which happens when you don't keep your tanks topped up. Chances are you're fine. If the diesel looks ok in the filter I'd top up the tank. Dual racors with a pressure gauge are a good idea. You scored with the Beta.
Old 21-07-2015, 10:20   #7

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

In addition to the good advice given so far, if the engine is Fresh water cooled I would recommend changing / flushing the coolant, flushing the heat exchanger with muratic acid and replacing the exchangers zinc. You might also want to check the status of the batteries since the boat has been layed up so long. If they are lead acid or AGM's they may be able to be shook by a good battery supply house and restored. Your freshwater tanks are also possibly fouled along with the water lines. A good bleach rinse should clean them followed with some baking soda to help rinse the tanks before filling. Also check the condition of your bilge pump. Just some thoughts ..
Old 21-07-2015, 11:24   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

good advice on getting manuals for what fluid type and amounts, your post said ATF, that is not rotella t
most info you can get on line...free
Old 21-07-2015, 11:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some boats use motor oil in the transmission and some ATF. Find out.
Run the engine well before messing with anything I think. You can run it in gear at the dock. You need to know where you are starting from before possibly causing a problem doing maintenance. After starting immediately check the exhaust for water coming out.
How much diesel is in the tanks?
I ran a boat with 3.5 year old diesel with no issues. I added fresh diesel to it shortly after running it though. Maybe you could assess the diesel by using an outboard squeeze bulb and hose (maybe a $20 investment?) and taking some fuel out of the tank and put it in a glass jar to look at. Try to route the hose near the bottom of the tank before pumping if you can.
Is there a clean out cover or gauge sender on your tank top?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 11:50   #10

When you are done, run the engine for 20 minutes in the slip, in gear. This way any nasty surprises will hopefully occur then, not at sea. Last time I changed the fuel filters, the engine cut out after 5 minutes. Just an air bubble, repeated the bleed at the fuel pump, no more problems.

Check engine temperature is stable after 20 mins, of course.
Old 21-07-2015, 11:55   #11

Good advice to run it before you do anything.

Then, only do ONE thing at a time & run it again, or else if you do more you'll never know what went wrong.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 12:17   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Running your motor without changing the oil & replacing the water pump impeller might not be a great idea. You already know that both are past their service lives so you know they need changing & both are cheap & relatively easy to do. You don't want to have to chase down impeller bits in your cooling system.
Old 21-07-2015, 13:51   #13

Regarding your fuel tank. I wouldn't dump all the fuel. If you can remove some diesel from the bottom of the tank with a pump, that is a good idea. My tank has a drain with a cock on the bottom of the tank and each year I suck out a couple of litres from the bottom where any water or other contamination is found. One of the service checks on aircraft is to do just that into a special bottle from under the wing tanks to check for water. I realise that depending on the layout of your tank it could be difficult. You may be able to use a hand pump with a small hose through the filler opening to the bottom of the tank. You may be surprised what you get out. Keep going until it looks clean.

There are mobile marine services I've often seen for cleaning fuel. I've never used them but they must pump your fuel through a filter to clean it and return it to your tank.
Old 21-07-2015, 17:57   #14

Boat: Sabre 34

I would absolutely change out the impeller before cranking. Having sat for two years and taking a set, may cause the impeller to shed vanes when the engine is started. Much easier to replace and be confident.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-07-2015, 18:25   #15

Boat: Niagara 35

Beta makes a great motor. They have excellent maintenance manuals for users and they should be on the Betamarine website.

I like the idea of doing one thing at a time. Making the first thing an impeller change would be my choice.

If you do choose to run it with the old diesel, don't panic if it doesn't run well. Don't assume you have an engine problem until you've run it with fresh fuel (I make that mistake annually with my outboard. Diesel lasts longer, though).

Tags
engine, maintenance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: