Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-04-2016, 14:03   #31

Re: New motor(vetus) does not rev up to the max!

No air restrictions found. I took out the airfilter cartridge at earlier to check that the T/C is turning freely. It is turning freely and there is nothing to restrict the air. You can see the tc wheels just when taking out the air filter at first.

First Flexofold calculated the prop for 2.23 gear ratio....and when I notified them that the correct is 2.15, they said that it does not make any difference because the difference for the ratios is so small...

Old 25-04-2016, 14:13   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani-SRI View Post
No air restrictions found. I took out the airfilter cartridge at earlier to check that the T/C is turning freely. It is turning freely and there is nothing to restrict the air. You can see the tc wheels just when taking out the air filter at first.

First Flexofold calculated the prop for 2.23 gear ratio....and when I notified them that the correct is 2.15, they said that it does not make any difference because the difference for the ratios is so small...
Again another two cents. Since you can't change the dia. but apparently can the pitch. I would go with the shallowest pitch it will allow. Does it sound like the engine is loading down at 1800?

Old 25-04-2016, 14:36   #33

To be honest....the 1800rpm with gear on and loaded sounds like the engine is having holiday and doing next to nothing. I do not have a charge air pressure gauge, but I think the TC is just starting to wake up with 1800rpm...

According the vetus brochures....the max torque is achieved with 2000 rpm and power is 35hp on 2000rpm.... This could make sense since my Volvo was originally 43hp and boat went tad faster with full speed volvo than now with 1800rpm vetus.
Old 25-04-2016, 14:39   #34

Stupid question, but why did you buy this particular engine? Have probably been around too many large diesels where you can take cylinders off line, use decompression to check the heads, and so forth.

Secondly, if your reverse shaft rpms are more than the forward rpms then prop is likely the issue; assuming the gear ratios are identical.
Old 25-04-2016, 14:52   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Stupid question, but why did you buy this particular engine? Have probably been around too many large diesels where you can take cylinders off line, use decompression to check the heads, and so forth.

Secondly, if your reverse shaft rpms are more than the forward rpms then prop is likely the issue; assuming the gear ratios are identical.

Volvo was 3cyl turbo. There is nobody making 3 cyl turbo engines anymore. not even volvo. vetus was the absolutely shortest 4 cyl engine available with same or more power.
in my yacht the engine is below companionway. I do not want to move the stairs more fwd and block the whole pentry. now i moved stairs only 10cm.

Vw is making compact engines, but I wanted to avoid more advanced technology and electronics to have more simple and durable motor.
Old 25-04-2016, 15:03   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
To be honest....the 1800rpm with gear on and loaded sounds like the engine is having holiday and doing next to nothing. I do not have a charge air pressure gauge, but I think the TC is just starting to wake up with 1800rpm...

According the vetus brochures....the max torque is achieved with 2000 rpm and power is 35hp on 2000rpm.... This could make sense since my Volvo was originally 43hp and boat went tad faster with full speed volvo than now with 1800rpm vetus.
Is it possible you only have a sensor bad or a wire broken that is keeping the TC from kicking in. I know squat about them but something kicks them in at a certain point.
Could be not seeing the woods for the trees?
Old 25-04-2016, 15:04   #37

Quote:
Volvo was 3cyl turbo. There is nobody making 3 cyl turbo engines anymore. not even volvo. vetus was the absolutely shortest 4 cyl engine available with same or more power.
in my yacht the engine is below companionway. I do not want to move the stairs more fwd and block the whole pentry. now i moved stairs only 10cm.

Vw is making compact engines, but I wanted to avoid more advanced technology and electronics to have more simple and durable motor.
Good reasons. BTDT. Use to have a horrible Albin diesel(yes, redundant) and was stuck with trying to find something that would fit the bed. Fitted a yanmar but at some expense for new bed, ripping out old bed, etc.
Old 25-04-2016, 15:16   #38

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: New motor(vetus) does not rev up to the max

Quote:

Even after all the question and responses you've given/issued, I still wonder why you can't achieve max RPM with transmission in neutral. To me that sound like a engine problem. Having checked the air supply and fuel supply to the HP pump and the turbo compressor, given the absence of smoke when full throttle under load it seems to me not enough fuel is supplied to the injectors.
You say the throttle control achieves the full swing of the control lever. In my book the HP pump is suspect. Is there some sort of vacuum control from the turbo to the pump? Could the waste-gate on the turbo be stuck (if any)?

I would doubt if the RPM gauge is at fault if it shows correct idle RPM

Again I think it's time you call your right on warranty.
Old 25-04-2016, 15:52   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hi Jani,

I have run thru sizing of your prop using provided data (you might have already seen by the automatic calculation)..... for your boat and engine we'd recommend an EWOL 17 x 11 (with possibility of fine pitch adjustment), hence your 18 x 14 looks incorrect and over-loaded.
Anyway we are not considering blade area and other characteristics typical of the Flexofold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
Why don't you check prop calculation at our website, it' free of charge of course !

You just need a few informations about boat and engine + gearbox:
Calculate your propeller
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 16:05   #40

Boat: Sabre 34

I read that the engine does not blow black smoke when in gear and maxed out, I have been told that a diesel that can not increase its RPM due to an excess load ( over propped or fouled bottom ) will always produce black smoke when loaded up. Also, a restriction in the combustion air supply should also result in black smoke.

If that is always the case, then it would seem reasonable to assume that the problem must be related to a lack of sufficient fuel volume in the cylinders. I would think it is time to get the motor manufacturer involved in troubleshooting the problem as the owner has tested multiple fuel supply setups and IMO eliminated the fuel supply hose , tank, and electric boost pump as sources of restriction.
Old 25-04-2016, 16:39   #41

I understand a sail drive installation but have never been directly involved, However I had a new boat built some years ago with a mercruiser stern drive 454 . The guys building the boat were very experienced , not so much in stern drives . The result was when the boat was delivered it would not plane it would not pull one skier out and would only do about 25mph. It turned out they had cut the transom incorrectly 4 inches too low. The boat was taken back by the guys who built it, no problem. Just wondering if the prop on your sail drive is the same depth in the water as the one that was removed??
Old 25-04-2016, 16:51   #42

Boat: 32ft John Pugh Ketch

I recently had a Vetus 33 hp engine installed in my Ketch and during the sea trials when bringing the boat up to full throttle it would not reach it's maximum rpm. The mechanic informed me that the pitch on the prop would need to be reduced down to allow the engine to reach it's peak rev range. Fortunately it was not by a lot and was suggested that it be done at next haul out which I haven't done yet. My guess is that your in the same situation and will need you prop re pitch to suit the engine as it will put to much of a load on the engine.
Good luck with it.
Old 25-04-2016, 18:52   #43

First verify your tach is correct. I have tach calibration issues in two out of three of my boats.
Second: if engine is smooth running and no smoke you Have to assume a prop issue.
It's a shame you don't have the prop info from the previous engine. That can give a good starting point.
i didn't see what speed you were getting at WOT.?
Old 26-04-2016, 05:59   #44

I was pushing the vetus france a bit more and explained my situation again and asked how the engine does not even take full rpm without load?? They promised to give full support and couple of hours later I went to visit the local vetus rep. again.... He said that he had just talked with vetus France about my situation and they said that vetus uses the same fuel pump on many models. The only thing is different is the regulator inside of the pump. They are strongly suspecting that the regulator is not correct for this motor.

Somebody should came and check it out in next 5 min. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this would end the struggle... I could write a book about my long battle here in France. I hope this will be final chapter and I can move finally out of SOF. Wish me a good luck! I will let you know if the problem was really a "monday" engine??
Old 26-04-2016, 07:33   #45

Nope....did not helped....

Actually they explained to me a bit different way at this morning.... Technician came and he adjusted some setting screw on the pump. Now the engine revs up to 3200rpm when the gear is in neutral and without load.

The engine revs up to 1900rpm when the gear is on and with load. That was before 1800rpm so slight increasement, but still no satisfactory results.---> aaaand back to the propeller.
I asked from flexofold if it would had been anyhow possible for them the pack the wrong propeller? The answer was that they asked me to ask from the vetus tech. if the engine is really 52hp, because they cannot understand how it is possible that the revolutions are limited so much!

Tomorrow have to lift up the boat and check out the propeller what size it really is.... Nightmare continues....

Tags
motor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: