Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 10:26   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: New mixing elbow... exhaust hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
Thanks for all the great feedback! Its a small space as everyone knows... i tired to get down and remove the hose from the plastic muffler but that was also a hard job, it really comes down to space. Feel like if i could just open everything up it would be done in a few minutes (as we all know).

Regarding the hose condition. The hose seems to be in good shape. If everything is original it would be 10 years old. How often do people normal change out the hoses?

Given that it's 10 years old, and given it's such a pain in the neck... then were it me, I'd replace it now... with expectation to not have to fool with it for another X number of years.

FWIW, we started replacing various raw water hoses on our engines -- different brand from yours, and larger -- at about the 10-12 year point, partly on recommendation from our diesel techs, and partly because we were doing some related preventive work at the same time...

And partly because we don't have get-home sails, like you probably do.

-Chris
Old 31-05-2017, 11:26   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If all else fails:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...er/A-p8104424e
Old 31-05-2017, 12:24   #18

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

In my previous post I recommended using 3M 4200 as the sealant for the hose connections. I want to amend that recommendation to Flex Seal Sure Shot. It's temp range is -40F to +350F and remains flexible. I just ordered some from Walmart! I'm going to use it for my generator and main engine exhaust couplings. You can check it out on the Flex Seal company site.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 14:37   #19

Boat: ODAY 28

i have used a heat gun with good results
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 18:38   #20

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

Go to swimming pool store and buy silicone grease. I use it even on barb fittings

It's like KY so easy to go on and take off. Always use two hose clamps
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:12   #21

Boat: Coast 30

Hello, I write to say that after trying several methods to get a very nice square end on hoses for the Fuel tank filler hose and the exhaust hose that has the SS spring wire in it to stop collapsing,

I found that the best method was to fit a new 6" diameter cutting wheel in the angle grinder, put the hose in the bench vice with the spring at the top (If you can feel through the rubber for that.) and then make a fast deliberate cut through it. Providing you do not go slow the amount of heat and smoke is negligible.

Having a clean cut end seems to aid installation to the next connection. To soften the rubber another Idea is to hold the end over the steam from the spout of an electric kettle. + what ever form of lubricant you prefer. I have used Lanolin.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:36   #22

Done the mixing elbow replacement twice. Once on a 4cyl Universal and another time on 2cyl Yanmar. Both times had to use a heat gun to soften the hoses.

With a 10 year old hose would recommend replacing it as well. The cost of the hose is not that much compared to the time and effort which would be needed should you wish to replace it a few years later.

One other note of interest. A marine pro buddy now recommends not using any wrapping around the heated parts of the exhaust piping. Or at least using "breathable" type of material. He says that last year he had a grand failure of the exhaust pipe, filling the cabin with smoke and fumes. As there was no or little wind he had to rig up his dingy motor to the swim platform and limped home, luckily he was less than an hour away. Turned out that the pipe was all corroded from the condensation induced moisture being trapped there by the wrap. The boat was in Northeast for the past 10-12 summers so it added up I guess.

PS While trying to get the old elbow off of the Universal we bent a large POS Kobalt wrench. I kept it as a souvenir to be shown to skeptic friends. Will post a pic when I dig it out.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:39   #23

Boat: no boat any more

Matthew 9:17...
Old 01-06-2017, 17:26   #24

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Matthew 9:17...
I find this funny because I just accepted a position in Sitka, Ak, preaching!
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 17:45   #25

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel383 View Post
I find this funny because I just accepted a position in Sitka, Ak, preaching!
And I'm sailing to get there...
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 17:56   #26

Use dish detergent (Joy, Dawn, ...) as a lubricant. Do not use 5200 - it is affected by heat. Do not excessively heat the hose (hot water is ok).
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 21:20   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FWW just had to replace the clogged mixing elbow my 2GM20. Unfortunately, the clogged elbow resulted in just hot exhaust gas going into the plastic muffler and melted it. Bought an identical, or supposed to be, muffler. Could not get the existing hoses onto the muffler. Turns out the mfg decided to change the hose barb size from 1 1/2" to 1 5/8"/1 3/4" or probably a metric size that was just large enough not to fit on the old hose. Replaced all the hose with 1 3/4" that at least easily slipped on the hose barbs but was a real pita as it snaked around many obstructions to get to the through hull in the transom and had makeshift hangers that all broke when I removeed the old hose. That meant another the 4th trip of the day to the boat chandlery. Typical boat work, a job that should have taken an hour turned into a most of the day job.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 13:19   #28

Short update... managed to get out to the boat today utilized the hot water trick, worked great!

Replaced the old pipe as well! Thanks for all the suggestions and tips! Helpful as always.
rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, exhaust