Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 17:45   #31

Boat: Pearson 530 Cutter/ketch 53
Re: New injectors v rebuilding injectors

This GENSET has a glow plug to heat the cylinders. Right? I had this GENSET on a Bayliner 38 and if you didn't hold the glow plug switch for 30 seconds the GENSET would not start, no matter the fuel. I NEVER use ether on my diesels, a mechanic told me it is like giving a person a hit of crack cocaine, the engine is never the same after ether, always wants more ether to start.
yachtcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 17:54   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

3rd response. Manual attached. I was wrong, preheat only bypasses oil pressure sensor, not temp sensors. And if the stop switch didn't retract, that could be it also. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:01   #33

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateking View Post
He said it was a sign shaft was getting worn, would not fail immediately, but was in process of failing, never mentioned rebuilding. It complicates matters that the genset is mounted transversely under the helm with service side accessible from a panel in aft cabin but backside and both ends accessible only by a contortionist through the port and starboard cockpit lockers. Island packet did not build friendly access on this hull.

It is a Westerbeke 7.6 kW BTD 60hz (110), 5.7 kW BTD 50hz (220). We are running 110.

I think it impossible that all three cylinders are bad, but that goes not only to the injector letting compression out theory, but also to bad valve, bad piston, etc.

It has been running perfectly, although has always required glow plug, even in hot weather, and holding glow on for 5 sec or so after engine starts.

I ran it 3-4 weeks ago routinely, with load, for 20 Min. Shut down normal kill switch way. No problem or funny noise. 2 months ago, oil pressure sensor went out, would start w switch depressed, but die when released. Westerbeke tech support (I am really good at getting the headquarters tech support on the line) said replace the sensor, start w oil, I did, perfect since.

I have two crazy thoughts. (I) that the kill switch has locked in kill, even though mech has unplugged the wires, or (II) some one posted that the high temp sensor isn't bypassed by the start switch. That it will lock out the engine.

Better detail?

Please remember that all the shutdown sensors control the fuel supply. What we are trying to tell you is that with ether the engine should at least fire even if there is no fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber through the injectors. It would not stay running but it would at least fire!!!

When was the last time you changed the air filtre?

Suggest that you remove the air filtre and then spray the ether into the intake manifold but only start spraying after the engine is turning over. Do not stop spraying until the engine fires but not for more than 10 seconds. If the engine is rotating fast enough with the starter, the engine will fire unless there are serious problems internally. It may stop again if there are other problems but it should at least fire.

The fact that you have had to use the glow plugs to get the engine to start is a sure sign of problems. This could be many things which may be tricky to diagnose but which should start with a compression test.

Yes definitely find another mechanic!!! That water pump is easily repaired for a few bucks and a little time. You should always carry a spare or at least parts on board at all times.

apologies for the previous suggestion. no excuses. not normally like that.

Good luck
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:13   #34

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Please remember that all the shutdown sensors control the fuel supply. What we are trying to tell you is that with ether the engine should at least fire even if there is no fuel being delivered to the combustion chamber through the injectors. It would not stay running but it would at least fire!!!

When was the last time you changed the air filtre?

Suggest that you remove the air filtre and then spray the ether into the intake manifold but only start spraying after the engine is turning over. Do not stop spraying until the engine fires but not for more than 10 seconds. If the engine is rotating fast enough with the starter, the engine will fire unless there are serious problems internally. It may stop again if there are other problems but it should at least fire.

The fact that you have had to use the glow plugs to get the engine to start is a sure sign of problems. This could be many things which may be tricky to diagnose but which should start with a compression test.

Yes definitely find another mechanic!!! That water pump is easily repaired for a few bucks and a little time. You should always carry a spare or at least parts on board at all times.

apologies for the previous suggestion. no excuses. not normally like that.

Good luck
I get the feeling that the OP and undercutter are talking two different pumps, raw water and the closed system coolant water pump.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:32   #35

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Much better.

In case you don't have a service manual, there's one here;

http://www.westerbeke.com/technical%...cal_manual.pdf

I think there is a problem with the shutdown system, or again starter speed.

The fuel solenoid must be energized for the engine to run, any sensor that is faulty can cause the solenoid to not be energized, preventing the engine from running.

The funny thing is that the engine won't run with ether, which is why I brought up engine starting speed. Your statement that engine requires glow plugs even in the hot Dallas summer tends to support this.

I would check that the fuel solenoid is getting power in the run position and is operating correctly. If it is not getting power, work backwards with a voltmeter from there until you find the fault.

I would probably also (though it sounds like a royal pita in your case) pull the starter and clean the mounting flange. The starter grounds through its' mounting on the engine, as time goes by, in this environment, corrosion builds up and gradually starter speed decreases unnoticeably. I'd also remove, clean and grease or oxguard all the battery cable connections. (You might get by by just loosening and and re-tightening the starter bolts to establish a better ground, if that helps, pulling and cleaning the starter mounting is indicated...)
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:44   #36

Would also check that the fuel solenoid is adjusted correctly, it appears that, as shown in the service manual on page 37, that there is quite a range...
Old 25-10-2015, 19:19   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Everybody forget about the damn injectors!!!!!!!!
the op said the engine won't fire with ether sprayed into the intake......I don't care how f'd up your injectors are.....the engine should fire from the ether. This is not an injector problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I tend to agree. My Westerbeke 6 cyl-115HP quit abruptly on the last outing. A bit of silt passed the filters & the boost pump feeding the HP pump quit. On mine, this is a Lucas two stage pump. Primary is a rotary vane (1500 psi) feeding the primary High pressure pump. If you chase down the usual suspects and check the injector pressure you will probably isolate the issue.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 06:51   #38
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
If the mechanic actually said 'This water pump needs to be replaced', without at least telling you that it is typical to rebuild them first, I'd say let him go. All parts for pumps like that are generally available from a variety of sources (not necessarily Westerbeke) at substantial cost savings over a new pump. Chances are good that you need only to replace seals, but most people replace seals, bearings and impeller at the same time, since they're already in there anyway (the impeller is a regular wear item, and bearings and seals are cheap and available from the local bearing shop [Motion Industries or the like]).

Small diesel engines are actually simpler than gas engines (roughly a third less variables), as you get to know them they grow on you. Two answers would really help for troubleshooting, the actual model number of the gen set, and the background conditions, i.e. was the engine running fine and suddenly shut down, never to 'fire' again, or has it been getting steadily worse and worse. It seems unlikely that you'd lose compression on all three cylinders at the same time, with ether (used very sparingly, like putting on perfume) and proper rotation speed you should get some attempts to start. Make sure the generator end is not energized while trying to start.

Poor, unconscientious mechanics are a dime a dozen, you'll probably go through half a dozen to find a good one...
Now wait just a minute.

It may be common for DIY owners (who don't value their time) to rebuild a water pump. Not so much for a hired mechanic. They can charge $50 parts and $300 labour to rebuild (and then have to warrant the rebuild themselves), or $350 for new pump, and the manufacturer is responsible for the warranty.

A good mechanic is very busy, and can't afford to dick around wasting time rebuilding something of unknown condition, just to find out the shaft is scored, pitted, or bent and the unit is toast anyway. (Most boaters would not be too interested to pay for the rebuild AND a new unit in such a case.)

Mechanics make money installing new equipment, not so much on rebuilding anything.

And don't blame them for trying to make money. They have to make money to stay in business, so they can help other boaters.

Ramblin' Rod
www.sheenmarine.com
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 13:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Now wait just a minute.

It may be common for DIY owners (who don't value their time) to rebuild a water pump. Not so much for a hired mechanic. They can charge $50 parts and $300 labour to rebuild (and then have to warrant the rebuild themselves), or $350 for new pump, and the manufacturer is responsible for the warranty.

A good mechanic is very busy, and can't afford to dick around wasting time rebuilding something of unknown condition, just to find out the shaft is scored, pitted, or bent and the unit is toast anyway. (Most boaters would not be too interested to pay for the rebuild AND a new unit in such a case.)

Mechanics make money installing new equipment, not so much on rebuilding anything.

And don't blame them for trying to make money. They have to make money to stay in business, so they can help other boaters.

Ramblin' Rod
www.sheenmarine.com
Not sure if you read the entire thread, but the OP asked specifically, twice that I remember, for opinions about if he should, or should not, retain his new mechanic, based on his description of the mechanics' performance so far.

Read through the entire thread, if you feel comfortable hiring the mechanic described, I'm sure Pirateking will be glad to put you in touch with him.

Leaving your silly personal comments aside, let's just talk about the important ones.

Good mechanics make money solving problems efficiently. What you seem to be describing and endorsing are colloquially known as parts changers.

Granted, there can be a fine line between when to change or rebuild a part; some of what makes a good mechanic a good mechanic for an inexperienced person is giving good advice.

As regards the OPs' water pump, a quick look online from Westerbeke suppliers (not Westerbeke themselves) shows it @ 445.00. We'll leave off removing and installing the pump, since that has to be done anyway, new or rebuilt.

Once the pump is off, a well equipped, efficient mechanic can tell if the pump is rebuildable in less than half an hour. I didn't look up part numbers for the bearings and seals but I' very sure that I could get both bearings and seals for less than 30.00. Impellers are all over the place so let's just say 40.00. Say an hour to rebuild the pump. So at 100.00 an hour labor and 70.00 for parts, 170.00. And this 'mechanic' doesn't mention a possible 275.00 savings, even as a not recommended option?

Unless there are other things we don't know about, the OPs' decision, from a cost/benefit standpoint, seems clear...
Old 26-10-2015, 13:58   #40

Did the same mechanic who wants to replace the injectors also spray the ether? Geez. Many diesels (especially those with glowplugs) can be damaged by using ether.

Forget the ether for a second. Is the OP sure there's no air in the fuel lines and that fuel is making it to the cylinder?

In an old genset that's sat around for a while, air would be most people's first guess. And with some gensets, bleeding the lines can take several tries. Crack each injector and make sure bubble free fuel is coming out.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 14:15   #41

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
well I doubt $30 a piece and won't "fire" with either isn't injectors, No fuel at all, it will fire with either, rattle like hell and stink, but it will combust if there is compression.
Find another mechanic

I'm no mechanic, bit I do know that much. If it doesn't fire on ether or WD40, it's not an injection problem. Or injection is not the only problem. You can't diagnose injectors that way. Get a real mechanic. The guy you used wasn't a mechanic at all.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 15:07   #42

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Leaving your silly personal comments aside, let's just talk about the important ones.

Good mechanics make money solving problems efficiently. What you seem to be describing and endorsing are colloquially known as parts changers.

Granted, there can be a fine line between when to change or rebuild a part; some of what makes a good mechanic a good mechanic for an inexperienced person is giving good advice.

As regards the OPs' water pump, a quick about, the OPs' decision, from a cost/benefit standpoint, seems clear...
I've been a pro mechanic and you are often a chump for overhauling some piece of junk part, like a water pump. Then, a year later it starts leaking and you have to do it over again. Sell the customer a new or rebuilt with a warranty. You get the labor for installation and the mark-up on the pump too , it's a no brainer from the mechanics standpoint. It's not being a parts changer it's just common sense. If you want to maybe waste time fixing an old pump do it yourself.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 16:54   #43

Oh and by the way, for any 'pro mechanics' and parts changers out there,
the 445.00 048080 R/W pump mentioned earlier only works if OPs' engine was made after March 2004. If made earlier the pump is obsolete,, no longer available. You have to order 034466 pump kit, which contains bearings, seals, shaft, gasket and impeller.

Guess y'all'll recommend he replace his entire engine cause you can't waste time or make enough money rebuilding components....
Old 26-10-2015, 17:41   #44

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Guess y'all'll recommend he replace his entire engine cause you can't waste time or make enough money rebuilding components....
Even with a whole engine, it's had to break even. If you can get an exchange or send it off to an engine shop you are usually better off. Now if you want to take some short cuts (red neck ovhl) you can make a out rebuilding an engine for somebody but you do have to take the short cuts. Otherwise you are going to need to charge more than an exchange would be or at least more than some cheapskate wants to pay. People need to do their own work if you want a cheap deal. You can't keep a shop open doing favors for people who don't want to pay the price.
The only people who make money overhauling components, just overhaul components. You've got to be specialized these days. Oh and in my opinion, the biggest problem for a shop these days is the cost insurance.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 17:49   #45

If someone is spraying eather into a diesel engine they would not be working on my diesel. WD-40 is all you need, and much safer. Can be compression issues, or stuck valves.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild