Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 07:37   #16

Boat: Cooper 416
Re: New Here, Inboard Diesel

I don't know where you are located but there is a tiny diesel sitting @ Minneys in Costa Mesa CA.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 00:06   #17

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Is that the one he had for sale for about $4500? It was either a universal or perkins, 3 cylinder I think

Or was there one i missed? I just saw a 1'cylinder Farryman on Ebay
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43   #18
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
yea I will be severly ovrpowerd but there will be a limit stop to the throttle and it will only go so fast I am not looking to go faster into a wave only to not be "pushed" back by it. its all just a hobby anyway and no one will have one like it. lol hull speed on this thing is only 18 "mph" anyway so...
Hull speed is 18 mph??? you have an 18 foot sailboat that has a hull speed of 18 mph, does it have a keel? is it a displacement hull? if so then the calculation that I have seen to find hull speed is HS=1.34x(sqrt of LWL)

Hull speed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, if you assume that the LWL is 18 feet (obviously, it will be shorter than that) you would have a hull speed of about 5.7 knots, or about 6 mph.

Next thing to consider, an 18 foot sailboat will not take much effort to get up to that speed. I have a 32 foot Hunter, engine is an 18 Hp Yanmar, 2 cyl. Hull speed is a bit over 7 knots. The engine will get me to a pretty comfortable 6 knots. With the sails, I have on occasion seen 7 knots. I have a friend with a 34 foot hunter and a 30 Hp Yanmar, he has a hull speed only very slightly higher than mine and he can easily get to 7.5 knots with the engine. My boat weighs in at around 9700 lbs. I can not imagine that you would be able to ever get a significant load on an 18 Hp diesel, which means that not only are you over powered, but you are going to have some carbon build up problems with the diesel.

My suggestion: Save the weight, use a smaller diesel, mount it as close to the current center of gravity as you can, use a shaft and a prop, not an Inboard/outboard configuration, as that will change the center of gravity, the length of the water line, and the angle the boat sits in the water even under sail, etc.

Now, if your boat is designed for an outboard, and you can keep the weight of the new motor and out drive to around the weight of the designed outboard, then you might be able to make it work.

Good luck, sounds likes a very interesting conversion. Keep us informed of how it comes out.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23   #19

Boat: Cooper 416

Yes it was a universal.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11   #20

hey, nes, yes the boat is set up for a outboard and last time I was in the water it done fine "4 hp 4stroke merc" weight is about 100 lbs with the gerlick adjustable braket. boat has a 300lb retractable cast iron keel, I had 600-800 lbs concrete set in the boat directly on the stern as a inboard motor would be and she sank in the water evenly stern to bow 1 in" so....the thing is I was starting at a 14-18etc hp motor because that was all I was seeing Ideally a 6-8 diesel 1or2 cyl. is what I am thinking but until yesterday I had not found such a thing in the states, however I have now found some possibilitys. nanni offers some really small inboards amd also I am trying to run a inboard so I can produce 12 volt power without a genset{which nanni has a nice set up with the motor by the way} the boat can handle the engine I just have to find one to buy. hence my post in here, also by the way the transom will be an additional 1/2" thick when I am done and ther will be a engine "platform" built out of carbon fiber that the engine will set on
survivor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02   #21

Boat: CL52
This will be an interesting conversion.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 13:23   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
yea I will be severly ovrpowerd but there will be a limit stop to the throttle and it will only go so fast I am not looking to go faster into a wave only to not be "pushed" back by it. its all just a hobby anyway and no one will have one like it. lol hull speed on this thing is only 18 "mph" anyway so...

A small sailboat with a hull speed of 18 mph?How is that possible?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle