Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 23:32   #1

New Engine for 35-2 Ericson ?

Those of you familar with the 70's era Ericsons know my boat came equipped with an Atomic 4. The PBO replaced it with an Aeroceanic 4-112 (graysmarine). I have tried for almost a year now to get this engine into a dependable state. Rebuilding the carb, putting in an electronic ignition,electric fuel pump, reverse gear problems on and on. After returning from a short trip this weekend I found oil leaking out of the engine compartment and onto my cabin soul????? Last straw for me.... So my question is what engine would be best for this boat? Should I go all out and convert to diesel? Or is there a dependable gas engine out there????
SolaceinOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 00:51   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Personally, I vote for the diesel. Less explosive fuel, usually more dependable operation, and longer life span. Perkins makes an engine that will fit where the Atomic 4 has once been.
Old 25-01-2011, 01:04   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
yanmar2qm20h. lolo butit barely fits in the engine compartment.if youhave the dough-- consider repower with electric engine-- these ericsons dont need a lot of push--they fly... just as fast as wind sometimes....awesome boats. my yannie does her well. i love it--i understand universal makes a diesel that bolts right in... might want to consider that-- the stringers for engine may need changed or modded somehow--i am not certain. mine came to me with diesel--is why i bought her ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 04:10   #4

Boat: Ericson 35
Is your Atomic now located under the cockpit or in the main salon? Ours is in the salon and we've installed a Yanmar 3YM 30 a few years ago. Were vary happy with it but it barley fit, we had to expand the engine compartment to do so. Including new engine blocks. This is where it got messy. Over time the engine oil had seeped in under the Fiberglass causing delamination. We had to grind all the way down to the Lead Keel to find clean Glass to build on . A lot of work but well worth it.
Greenflash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 05:14   #5

Boat: Heritage 35
Consider giving Beta Marine a call they make a direct replacement for the A4. they saved me a ton of cash for parts when I rebuilt my Westerbeke. When it dies again will replaace with the Beta. I dealt with Stanley at Beta in N. Carolina couldn't have been more helpfull.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:44   #6

Thanks for your quick replys and suggestions. Yes my engine is in the salon area under the settee. The Aeroceanic engine thats in there now is bigger than the A4 was since the seating area has been raised about 1" up and I dont know how far down they went to make it fit? It's probably time I start calling around for price's. I hope my heart can take it? LOL
Old 25-01-2011, 10:50   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaceinOly View Post
Thanks for your quick replys and suggestions. Yes my engine is in the salon area under the settee. The Aeroceanic engine thats in there now is bigger than the A4 was since the seating area has been raised about 1" up and I dont know how far down they went to make it fit? It's probably time I start calling around for price's. I hope my heart can take it? LOL
wow--mine is under the cockppit, accessed by the steps for companionway---the yannie barely fits.... is why i suggested the electric one--is smalllll and bats will fit inside your ericson and you can use the fuel tank area for stowage ....or other tankage.. or batteries.. or whatever... some formosas i know will be electrically propelled within the next few months-- their reports are in the leaky teaky yacht club group in yahoo. i figer if it can propell something that huge and heavy-- we displace 8000-34000 pounds, ericson is 11,500 pounds--lol big difference--is pricey but makes sense in this world of uncertain weather and carbon credits to come --aarrrgghhh..i will still be burning earth lube and you will be sailing past without any noise or mess..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 11:25   #8

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
I love my Beta

I just repowered last winter, replaceing a 4-112 with the Beta 28 (now 30 I think). Love the engine! Nearly all the replacement parts (filters, impellers etc.) are accessable from the front of the engine, even has a built in oil change pump (also on the front). I rebuilt the 4-112 also, and like you, still had carb issues and the front oil seal (cork) began leaking again after only a few hours, plus the paragon gear was difficult or impossible to get parts for. The diesel makes more noise but that can be rectified easily and uses only half the fuel.

My .02
Old 27-01-2011, 21:17   #9

Thanks again for the info. Anybody have a refererence for an engine gas or diesel here in the northwest would help but neccesary.
Old 28-01-2011, 05:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

Where in the northwest?
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 09:19   #11

Olympia wa.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:49   #12

I went to the boat show yesterday and talked with all of the engine guys and ended up ordering a Betamarine 20hp. I like what people say about these motors, dependable, easy access to maintain. Ethan and the staff with Betamarine West gave thier full attention and answered all my questions not to mention a great deal on the engine and accessories. Betamarine is all about supporting the DIY guy with full warrenty. The other engine dealers insisted on installing thier motors and we all know what that ends up costing $$$$$$ So now it's time to pull out the old engine Does anyone have need of a Graymarine 4-112? Make ya one hell of a deal....LOL
Old 31-01-2011, 11:30   #13

Boat: Taswell 49
Do you have to change the mounts? That was always the hardest part of a repower IMHO everything else should be straight forward. Good luck!
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:29   #14

The cool thing with the Beta is they offer custom mounts to fit any engine bed if I need them. As soon as I get the present motor out and measure up I will get with the Beta guy and decide which way to go? I am very familar with fiberglass so i'm not too worried either way. But it was another plus for Beta knowing that I can get mounts to fit my engine bed if I need them.
Old 01-02-2011, 20:23   #15

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
engine mounts

I fabed my own engine mounts. Was not difficult as I had the old 4-112 and the Beta both sitting side by side in the shop and was able to make very accurate comparison measurements. As you can see, the footprint of the 4-112 was radically wider and longer than the Beta but using .375 angle iron I was able to make very strong mounts. One thing to keep in mind, when you make your motor mounts (or someone else does), design them so the flexible portion of the flex mounts are in plane with the axis of the output shaft of the transmission. That way most of the engine movement and vibration is rotational around that axis and puts minimal strain and wear on the shaft and stuffing box. At idle my 3 cylinder Beta shakes considerably more than the old Gray did, but because of the relation between the mounts and the shaft there is almost no movement at the shaft. Best of luck on your endeavor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beta install.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	23425  

Tags
engine, ericson