Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2018, 14:10   #31

Re: New Beta Marine won't start. Sat for 2 years.

Old fuel and air bubble in fuel line. Try to circle fuel with plastic impeler pump! So you eliminate air bubbles. And it takes many cycles to use all sotcekd old fuel in engine pipelines.
bouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 15:25   #32

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveldman1 View Post
Jasmine is right! NEVER NEVER USE EITHER!!!
If your engine needs a bump, use WD-40. It has lubricant in it and it is just as good as either. Just warm the can
WD-40 originally used freon as a propellant, then they switched to LP as a propellant, same as ether!! USCG would not permit it to be used below decks. Do not know what it is in those cans these days. But, a small shot of ether will tell you if the problem is electrical or fuel delivery on any gas engine and timing,compression or fuel on diesel. You could have a half dead battery and slow starter and ether would fire her over. If it does not fire on ether, then you need to chase all the other issues
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 16:22   #33

just a couple of things that may help?
If the boat is in Oz, being winter, you may need to give it plenty of heat to get the engine to fire. Confirm the glow plugs are working. You should see a drop in Battery voltage when these are working or if you can put a voltmeter/ test lamp on the glow plug rail to confirm they are getting power.

When spraying ether, did the engine try to fire? it will probably knock severely? If the engine doesn't want to fire using Ether, I would start looking at Compression

Has the decompression lever, if fitted been bumped into Decompression?

Can you see any smoke from the exhaust? If white/ Grey smoke, sounds like it may just need some heat. The idea using a tilley lamp is a good one, or if you have the luxury, try a Hair dryer blowing into the Air Filter.
Good Luck
Ding Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 17:58   #34

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
WD-40 originally used freon as a propellant, then they switched to LP as a propellant, same as ether!! USCG would not permit it to be used below decks. Do not know what it is in those cans these days. But, a small shot of ether will tell you if the problem is electrical or fuel delivery on any gas engine and timing,compression or fuel on diesel. You could have a half dead battery and slow starter and ether would fire her over. If it does not fire on ether, then you need to chase all the other issues
Last time I checked, last year I think, in the US at least, the propellant was CO2. The base chemical for WD40 is supposedly naphtha, so you'll still get some combustion from it, just not as much as when they used propane as a propellant.

Though I've never tried it, these US WD40-sprayers would probably do just as well, and save money to boot, by putting some diesel in a squeeze spray bottle and using that.

Me, I just use starting fluid.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 19:42   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Farmers use gasoline on a rag.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 20:16   #36

Boat: Yankee 30'

Make sure the shut off lever is against it's stop. A friend once drove me to a nearby town to troubleshoot his diesel. All it was the engine shut down pull thinghy was sticky. It look like it was returned to the "run" position, but the lever on the pump only returned half way.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 05:30   #37

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

I have a kubota 722d generator which I marinised with Beta parts. Running great for 15 years. Last year it failed to start. Fuel ok. Dismantled starter motor twice! All ok. Charged battery. 13.6V at battery (3+ years old), turned over ok I thought. Still no start. Jumped house batteries still no start (but jump leads were thinnish and got hot.) I was going nuts.

In despair I installed a new battery. Started first time. I've heard similar stories from other people. New battery = faster (required) crank speed.
Old 24-06-2018, 20:25   #38

Boat: wildcat catamaran 35

Fuel,air,compression,glow plugs one of the four or more is bad.
Start by using a clean fuel supply
Check fuel return by adding a primer ball or eletric fuel pump.
Check power to glow plugs. No power replace relay check again.
Have a strong battery.
Use some starting fluid.
Bleed fuel system to make sure fuel is getting to injectors by cracking fuel line on injector do this one injector at a time as they bleed steady tighten fuel line .
If all this fails check compression.
Good luck
wildcat35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 22:09   #39
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

@Hoohaa,

Has the owner of this Beta had any joy yet in getting it started?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta marine, marine