Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 09:09   #1

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
New 2 Cycle China Outboards

Has anyone been brave enough to purchase one of these new China outboards (2 cycle) 3.5-4 hp models. Price range of 260 - 500 $. This would be a backup for a 2hp Honda for my 260 dink. These motors are all over Ebay...
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 15:08   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: new 2 cycle china outboards

Most likely it's like everything else they make...tolerances all over the map, lousy warranty back up and an ever changing dealer network. They made a few (cheap) diesel engines and generators. I'd like to say the result was mixed but in reality they were flat bad.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 15:20   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

They are noisy, they run rough and can be difficult to start and to keep running, parts fall off, and the recommended oil mixture is like 25:1, which means they are dirty as hell.

Get an old yammie/johnson/rude. They're pretty bulletproof.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 17:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
They are noisy, they run rough and can be difficult to start and to keep running, parts fall off, and the recommended oil mixture is like 25:1, which means they are dirty as hell.
...other than that, they're great!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-08-2014, 21:40   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I bought a Parsun F5BM 5hp 4-stroke. It is basically a complete rip off of the 2006+ Yamaha F4SMHA. Parsun was getting slagged for quality in the late 2000s. They put in western management and things improved. Motor Boat Monthly (UK) included the motor in their Nov. 2010 outboard test. It is clearly not the best engine but it was the cheapest.

It was 1/2 the price of the Yamaha. It has 18 months on the boat and about 150 hours on it.

Always started right up. Never gave a lick of trouble although there are some issues. I buy Yamaha filters and parts.

- Fuel filter started to cavitate - Air bubble formed. Fuel filter lays on its side and engine would starve for fuel. Replace fuel hose clamp and replace with Yamaha filter.
- Safety lanyard was made from crap. Deteriorated in the sun. Replaced lanyard with piece of small diameter boat quality line
- Lower leg paint showing signs of blistering - Some sort of corrosion going on - Engine stored out of water (raised up) so this is concerning. Zinc is intact. Need to strip the paint and figure out what's going on. I suspect crap quality Chinese metal.

For me the engine has worked out. You need to do your homework when buying Chinese stuff and set expectation accordingly. I'd prefer a Yamaha engine but not at twice the price.

YMMV... And of course I have no idea about any Chinese 2 strokes.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 02:54   #6
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Most likely it's like everything else they make...tolerances all over the map, lousy warranty back up and an ever changing dealer network. They made a few (cheap) diesel engines and generators. I'd like to say the result was mixed but in reality they were flat bad.
Why do you feel the need to make such statements? It comes across as racist and typical of people who have no actual knowledge. Everything they make? How about most of the components for machinery purportedly made in the good ole US of A. If it wasn't for China the US would be a third world nation right now.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 03:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakno View Post
Has anyone been brave enough to purchase one of these new China outboards (2 cycle) 3.5-4 hp models. Price range of 260 - 500 $. This would be a backup for a 2hp Honda for my 260 dink. These motors are all over Ebay...
I have seen a few small skiffs/jon boats operating with Hangkai outboards. I do not care for the 25:1 mix ratio. They also vibrate pretty bad at lower rpms
's.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:26   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Most likely it's like everything else they make...tolerances all over the map, lousy warranty back up and an ever changing dealer network.
You mean like all those Apple iPhones, iPads, computers from Foxconn in Shenzen, China?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:32   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
We had an expensive chinese tractor and it was a complete Turd compared to a 20 year old Japanese tractor. Wouldn't run right hydraulics leaked, metallurgy was horribly bad. Paint bad, zero warranty support. Cant honestly say how the warranty support was on the Japanese tractor as it never broke down.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 09:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Why do you feel the need to make such statements? It comes across as racist and typical of people who have no actual knowledge. Everything they make? How about most of the components for machinery purportedly made in the good ole US of A. If it wasn't for China the US would be a third world nation right now.
Oh stop playing the racist card to fortify your opinion. The Yugo car was a piece of crap, so am I racist toward the Yugoslavians? You've already read that these Chinese outboards are falling apart...does that mean the members that post that are racist too? A trip to Home depot or Walmart will prove my point with the line that forms at the return counter. On my boat I have had a constant problem with lighting switches. Guess which country? Oil tranfer pump...same thing. Replacement gas valve...yup, that too. Shall I go on?
I'm a toolmaker and work in manufacturing, so I know what quality is. As a field Engineer, I have had to back engineer mechanical problems only to find imported crap at the root of a problem. So when you challenge my knowledge get the facts first. Going out on the limb here I would say you have grown up in the era of cheap imports and excepted them as the norm in your life. That's not a jab. I grew up with quality and witnessed the slow death of it.
I blame the greed of individuals in the US for selling the country out. We would be crippled if we stopped importing items from China but not forever. We didn't need to borrow money from China but our mishandling of our own money did.
I apologize for going off-topic but I felt the need to respond to this unsubstantiated accusation.
Old 24-08-2014, 09:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I am old enough to remember imports from Japan known as "jap crap" (no racism intended or meant).

The Japanese got very smart and started building quality. The Koreans learned the same lesson.... just think how bad the first Hyundias were, and how good they are now.

I suspect the second and lower tiered Chinese manufacturers will learn the same lesson over time.. they are not there yet.
Old 24-08-2014, 11:24   #12

Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

Exactly...They have the ability to rise to the occasion anytime. Chances are the will eventually be forced to fairly value their currency. When their items go up in price, most likely their quality will go up too.
What was so disturbing to me about NoTies "racist" comment is my prior wife is Asian as is my son.
Old 24-08-2014, 12:25   #13
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

You said everything the Chinese make is crap. If that isn't racist and patently untrue I don't know how else to define it. Where is the device you used to make a post made? Where are the electronic components in your car made?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 12:41   #14

China will eventually catch up to the rest of the consumer world. They already have in some areas. The free market has a wonderful way sorting out what people will, and will not buy. I expect that they will follow suit with Japan and South Korea in time.

Back to the engine thingy...... I would go with a good used 4 stroke if price is a concern. If I was buying new..... a new 4 stroke! Today's 4 stroke engines are heads and tails cleaner, and more efficient over the 2 strokes. People keep talking about the power to weight ratio between 2 and 4 strokes, But that means nothing unless you are racing your sailboat with your engine/motor.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 15:04   #15

Boat: Dufour 310

I worked for an importer for a while of Sail outboards. Certain models were not bad but others terrible. Our biggest problem was with carbies. The 2 strokes were better than the 4 strokes and we're a copy of Yamaha. The common problem was the quality of stainless bolts. Corrosion was a big problem. Most models ran on 25 to 1.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
China, outboard, china