Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 17:30   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yes, but where in the USA can you buy one? The answer is, the EPA has decreed that you can't.

Well there are the Evenrude computerized 2 stroks but not for a dinghy.
The EPA has not banned 2 strokes. They legislated that new outboards must meet certain emissions standards. The manufacturers were entitled to meet those, however they pleased. It was too expensive to engineer small 2 strokes to meet the standards, so they are no longer sold new.

This legislation only applies to new outboard sales. You can buy used 2 strokes on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. I have one myself, bought locally on Craigslist.
__________________

__________________
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 17:36   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

A poor quality engine might not be that bad of a thing. Where else can you get an engine that's also a boat anchor?
__________________

__________________
Seasiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 18:20   #48
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The EPA has not banned 2 strokes. They legislated that new outboards must meet certain emissions standards. The manufacturers were entitled to meet those, however they pleased. It was too expensive to engineer small 2 strokes to meet the standards, so they are no longer sold new.........
So effectively, the EPA wiped out the manufacture and sale of small 2 stroke outboards in the USA. Spin it any way you want, that's the final result.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 18:25   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,447
Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So effectively, the EPA wiped out the manufacture and sale of small 2 stroke outboards in the USA. Spin it any way you want, that's the final result.
AFAIK, there were not many small outboards being manufactured in the USA before that legislation was enacted. Sold, yes, but not built. And the folks who do build them are still going strong, selling them elsewhere.

That's how I "spin" it.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:17   #50
Registered User
 
clownfishsydney's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran
Posts: 304
Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

I bought a very cheap 2hp Chinese 2 stroke for a very small tender. It will only ever be used to travel from the boat ramp to where our yacht is moored (about 200 metres). We already have a much larger tender on the yacht that will be used when away from home.

The Chinese motor is noisy, rough, uses a lot of fuel and will probably not last too long compared to a quality motor. However, it starts first or second pull, I can lift it with one hand and it was less than a quarter of the price of a quality second hand motor of same size. Happy to have it for this tender. Would I put a larger one on the main tender? Not on your life!

As others have pointed out, these manufacturers will improve their quality very rapidly. Within 5 years they will be quite reasonable and in 10 as good as the main manufacturers.
__________________
Michael and Kelly
Catlypso - Web Site
Lightwave 38' cat
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:14   #51
Registered User
 
nimblemotors's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sacramento, California
Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Posts: 1,557
Re: New 2 Cycle China Outboards

At 2hp, an electric outboard isn't going to use much electricity,
and you get a clean quiet short trip to your boat, and a motor that should last a long time. And not cost much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
I bought a very cheap 2hp Chinese 2 stroke for a very small tender. It will only ever be used to travel from the boat ramp to where our yacht is moored (about 200 metres). We already have a much larger tender on the yacht that will be used when away from home.

The Chinese motor is noisy, rough, uses a lot of fuel and will probably not last too long compared to a quality motor. However, it starts first or second pull, I can lift it with one hand and it was less than a quarter of the price of a quality second hand motor of same size. Happy to have it for this tender. Would I put a larger one on the main tender? Not on your life!

As others have pointed out, these manufacturers will improve their quality very rapidly. Within 5 years they will be quite reasonable and in 10 as good as the main manufacturers.
__________________

__________________
JackB
MiniMPPT Solar Controller
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
China, outboard, china

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
China - US Tension in S. China Sea starfish62 Cruising News & Events 21 11-03-2009 08:24
Deep Cycle Battery Choices (from China) Pelagic Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 0 10-12-2007 14:40
New California Emissions Law for Outboards GordMay Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 12-11-2007 12:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.