Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-03-2015, 17:13   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Never Seez vs. lok-tite blue vs. T-9 vs...????

Folks,

I have bought a new transmission and when I took the old one out I noticed that many of the bolts holding my 27 year old engine together were loose but also rusted - not terribly and not to make them unusable - but still.

I got to wondering - when I reassemble my transmission should I consider using Never seez - to assure that the bolts can always come out and make sure they are properly tightened - or should I use lok-tite blue because these bolts are particularly difficult to get to. They are the polar opposite.

Or maybe I should use an anti-corrosion chemical such as T-9?

I had to use a come-along to lift my engine of the mounts to get to the transmission.

Thoughts and ideas?

- z
Old 01-03-2015, 17:21   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Never Seez vs. lok-tite blue vs. T-9 vs...????

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Folks,

I have bought a new transmission and when I took the old one out I noticed that many of the bolts holding my 27 year old engine together were loose but also rusted - not terribly and not to make them unusable - but still.

I got to wondering - when I reassemble my transmission should I consider using Never seez - to assure that the bolts can always come out and make sure they are properly tightened - or should I use lok-tite blue because these bolts are particularly difficult to get to. They are the polar opposite.

Or maybe I should use an anti-corrosion chemical such as T-9?

I had to use a come-along to lift my engine of the mounts to get to the transmission.

Thoughts and ideas?

- z
With the proper torque and some anti seize those bolts should not back out. Anti seize is available in a marine version. I have assembled many engines and transmissions with oil or moly lube on the threads, when torques properly they have never come loose.
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 19:08   #3

Re: Never Seez vs. lok-tite blue vs. T-9 vs...????

Most manufacturers will tell you not to lube bolts, changes the torque bla bla bla , but they are not the ones who will be taking it apart or replacing or drilling I like to use anti-seize on exhaust systems etc on anything else my preference is the blue thread lock it does a good job of preventing leaks, seizing,and coming loose and dont be alarmed when you see that it is still wet outside of the threads or bolt it only hardens when cut of from air

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: