Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 21:07   #1

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27
NEVER obscure your crankcase vent

Lesson learned:
I was motoring around Casco Bay with a friend after we re-aligned my universal M-18, who i call 'Demothe'. while motoring i noted that the pitch of the engine and the smell of the exhaust were both different. I thought nothing of it, although it was a little suspicious. after the outing i opened the engine room to close the seacock only to find crankcase oil everywhere. in a pannic i opened up the bilge compartment, hoping it was an isolated incident. no luck. the bilge was FILLED to the brim with oil. i quickly checked the oil level. CLOSE TO EMPTY!!!!! HOW LUCKY WAS I THAT HE DIDN'T SEIZE!!!!!
turns out, earlier that day i had decided to fill a grape soda bottle with rags and put the loose crankcase vent in the neck to contain any oil that may spill out due to high pressure because i remember seeing an oil stain next to the vent hose. it was a very tight squeeze, but i got it in. not thinking, i grabbed some electrical tape and tapped up the opening. (wait what does VENT mean again??)

I'm an idiot.

while motoring my guess is pressure built up and pushed the oil out of the oil pan through the dipstick tube with so much force it popped the dipstick right out! my little diesel then proceeded to drain 3 quarts of oil into the bilge.

Ill never look at a grape soda the same ever again

How bout I change his name from "Demothe" to "One who squirts oil"
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote