Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17   #1

Need: VETUS P4.25 Cylinder Head

Not sure I can post this here ,.. hope so

if anyone has or knows of a usable Vetus P4.25 head,.. I need one,

Mine is bad. 816-590-8601 or email me or respond here

Thanks much,..Kev
kevman1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 20:05   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What do you know about the engine it is based on?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:34   #3

Peugeot block and heads

The engine is a xd3 peugeot block and head, however the late model xd2, xd2t, xd3 &xd3t head will work,, must have the screw in type injectors, not pressfit and the smaller 9-10 MM glowplugs, not the 20+ mm that look like spark plugs.
This engine is not popular here but is very popular outside the usa in all sorts of industrial application, forklifts, generators, trash pumps

Most all peugeot cars, the 505, 504 and such with diesels from the late 1970s to late 1980's will work, minor variations not important.

I found a couple leads this week and plan to follow up on monday.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:30   #4

Boat: Corbin Pilothouse Cutter 39
Re: Need: VETUS P4.25 Cylinder Head

Hey I also have the P4.25 motor. Do you know where to get parts and any crossover filter numbers. I live in US and am looking for various parts. Any help will be appreciated
Captainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 20:26   #5

Re: Need: VETUS P4.25 Cylinder Head

It's pretty easy... just google Peugeot 505 or 504 diesel and search the listings.
It might take a little bit of time but it's time well spent.
I found a brand new head ($435 auto vs $1850 used marine), gaskets, pumps, all sorts of things.
If you search for a Vetus P4.25 you won't find hardly anything because Vetus no longer uses the Peugeot for their power plant.
P4.25 was only THEIR name for the engine. They don't want you to fix your engine or to help you.
If you call Vetus they will treat you like dirt, tell you it's obsolete and that you should spend $15K and buy their newest 60 HP diesel.

None of the bigger marine shops can or want to help you because you're not playing their "buy our new, stupidly overpriced marine engine" game.
Same answer...N/A

It's new car/ old car in boat world.

I found this to be the ONLY response on the east coast and ALMOST everyone in the marine arena was a complete, stuck up, condescending *******.
Also they are retardedly overpriced.
Apparently they are trying to pay off their $60,000 new truck, $500,000 condo, 9 credit cards and 5 college kids tuitions early.

But people in the auto arena were very helpful.

My $400 '93 toyota w/200k runs sweet. The kid needs dog food, squeak toys & tennis balls to be woof happy and a good 6 pak of cerebral lubrication spins my wheel.

Bypass them and search for your parts via the auto industry where the engine came from and you won't get the attitude of yachties,.. just the common sense of gear heads.

I tried for a week to get the fuel injection pump to pump and none of the 11 marine diesel shops would help.. the nearest one one was 150 feet away in Jaben's yard but they didn't want to "work on old stuff". Besides they had a 3 week waiting list... sooo...

I hired a diesel mechanic who was laid up with a broken arm off Craigslist to come over and work with me. Took 6 hours but we got her primed and running sweet, the bill was $300 & both of us were happy.

I'll be back on the boat in a few weeks and may have some part #s for you but they are easy to find , do the same search on ebay and lots of parts will pop up... manuals too.
ONE thing though.. if you are messing with the head MAKE SURE you get the correct head bolts for the correct head casting.
I found this out the hard way.

There are TWO DIFFERENT head sources for the Peugeot. There is a French head and a Spanish head.
The French head is thicker @ the bolting flanges than the Spanish head.
If you get the shorter Spanish head bolts and use them on a thicker French head,... they will strip out in the block... not enough threads to hold.

If you do the opposite they will bottom out before torquing and the gasket will blow.

I got the first problem... fellow who sold me the new French head also sold me the Spanish head bolts... 2 stripped out.

Luckily they drill a little deeper in the block so I took a tap, carefully cut it flat (you can buy one cut flat) and was able to gain 5 full turns of the correct length French head bolts into the block and did not have to redo the job.

It's an awesome engine, uses the CAV pump and is virtually bulletproof if you take care of it. The cooling water jacket for the exhaust is the only part that is difficult to find but even that can be homebuilt with a little patience if you cant find one.

Good luck...Kev