Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2010, 08:38   #1

Boat: Cal 2-30
Need to Replace Exhaust Riser on Universal

Hello all,

I am about to order a new exhaust riser for my Universal m2-12 diesel from Torrenson marine. I assume it is made of cast iron. My question is what type of pipes and elbows I should use to complete the installation so that it is galvanically ok. For example I can find bronze elbows & nipple but no bronze npt pipe (only brass). I will need to make typical bends as you can see in the pic of the current system. Thanks!
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 08:57   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
Glavanized pipe,they are pricy & slow.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 09:11   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
It looks like the same exhaust system as I had on a m4-30. If so, the exhaust manifold flange is a standard pipe thread. You can make your own exhaust elbow system from standard hardware pipe pieces and save a LOT of money. In fact, it looks like you are half way there leading to the elbow. Just get another 90* elbow and a T-pipe with appropriate sized reducer for the water injection and you are done. Mount the elbow where the current exhaust elbow is and the T below that. A couple of short straight pieces to connect everything and you have it. Black pipe is best. Galvanized pipe gives off some bad fumes when it gets hot, but after a while it stops fuming and is OK.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 09:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, crashkahuna.

As well as considering the excellent advice I expect you’ll get from our members; you might ask Torrenson for theirs.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 09:59   #5

Boat: seawind II Patience
Check some new ones are Al.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:20   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You can make the entire thing out of black iron pipe....for the water injection you will need a TEE that is 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 3/4 or 1/2......any plumbing supply store will have that.

No need to buy an overpriced water injection elbow.

PM me if you want more info
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:26   #7

Thanks for all the responses. Pretty much what I was thinking. How about the nipple feeding the water into the riser - black or galvanized best here too?
Old 26-11-2010, 10:29   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Bronze.....easy to remove and reuse......don't be tempted to use a black iron pipe nipple
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 10:46   #9

So the bronze nipple with black pipe would be ok as far as galvanic corrosion goes? (As opposed to say brass and bronze pipe in same system)
Old 26-11-2010, 10:58   #10

Use high temp water hose on all engine connections. That PVC tube melts too easily. Otherwise, I used iron pipe on my M4-30. Worked fine. Instead of a tee I threaded a bronze fitting into the side of the down pipe.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:11   #11

Sounds good. Will regular teflon pipe tape work ok to get the all the parts tight?
Old 26-11-2010, 11:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkahuna View Post
Will regular teflon pipe tape work ok to get the all the parts tight?
Yes it will.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 12:55   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
As a salt water sailor, I build them out of stainless. McMaster-Carr has just about any fitting you would need. I have not ever needed to make the same one twice!
Old 26-11-2010, 16:18   #14

crashkahuna, as a surveyor I am obligated to tell you that the reinforced PVC water hose on your wet exhaust is a danger to you and your boat. If the vessel is afloat and the seacock is not closed, IMMEDIATELY CLOSE YOUR ENGINE'S RAW WATER INTAKE SEACOCK, AND REPLACE THE PVC HOSE WITH APPROVED MARINE WET EXHAUST HOSE BEFORE STARTING YOUR ENGINE AGAIN. I also see other reinforced PVC water hoses in the picture, if they are part of the engine system then also renew those with approved hoses at the same time.

Surveyor hat off.

Replacing my engine's exhaust elbow is so close to the top of THE LIST that I'm already looking into it. Given that this part is doomed to corrode, and that a failure has the potential to sink a boat and kill people with CO poisoning, I do not understand why replacements are not readily available. Nigel Calder usually has good advice and in his Marine Diesel Engines book he says that, "The elbow is frequently custom-made and hard to replace, so you should inspect it annually and carry a spare on board." Given that it looks like I'll have to fabricate my own exhaust elbow I intend to make two. If it is really fun I'll make three.

The main reason I have not considered stainless is the issue of drilling and tapping a hole for the water injection nipple - George how did you handle that part of it? What grade stainless did you choose?
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 17:45   #15

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You can make the entire thing out of black iron pipe....for the water injection you will need a TEE that is 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 3/4 or 1/2......any plumbing supply store will have that.

No need to buy an overpriced water injection elbow.

PM me if you want more info
I have seen an elbow with the half inch inlet similar to the one in the photo and believe it was being used in a hot water heating system so they sholud be available for cheap. Is there any advantage in using 300# fittings instead of the standard150# fittings?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust