Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 15:33   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Does anyone else find it frustrating trying to figure out a engine start problem by laying clean hands on a keyboard?

A good rule in medicine is that 75% of problems of problems can be correctly diagnosed from a careful history.

I am not sure mechanical systems obey these rules, but I suspect they are close.
Given that we ask the OP to conduct appropriate diagnostic tests, the forum should be able ( and I think usually does) come up with a reasonably accurate diagnosis for mechanical / electrical problems.

All for free
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:05   #107

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A good rule in medicine is that 75% of problems of problems can be correctly diagnosed from a careful history.

I am not sure mechanical systems obey these rules, but I suspect they are close.
Given that we ask the OP to conduct appropriate diagnostic tests, the forum should be able ( and I think usually does) come up with a reasonably accurate diagnosis for mechanical / electrical problems.

All for free
I was speaking to my personal frustration, not maligning the process of assisting others. Making the diagnosis does not make the patient better. I simply suffer from a compulsion to touch the patient and make old broken junk run again. Of course, if it were 14 degrees out down here, that might help quell my compulsion.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 15:37   #108

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Does anyone else find it frustrating trying to figure out a engine start problem by laying clean hands on a keyboard?

I would so happily trade with you! Sorry about disappearing the past few days, we got about 3ft of snow and 80 mph winds last week. Most of the area still doesn't have power. We've been living aboard my other boat in Boston harbor and it was all we could do to keep 'warm' and not get blown over from the wind.

Seriously, I will totally pay your moving expenses if I can move to Florida right now. We're just starting to pull out of survival mode around here. I'll probably start working on the motor again tomorrow... sigh...

Don't even tell me what the temp is in florida right now....
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:41   #109

Boat: Skookum 53'

Belize city is 79 F.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56   #110

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Copenhagen is 30 F. Snow. Dark.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:06   #111

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
I would so happily trade with you! Sorry about disappearing the past few days, we got about 3ft of snow and 80 mph winds last week. Most of the area still doesn't have power. We've been living aboard my other boat in Boston harbor and it was all we could do to keep 'warm' and not get blown over from the wind.

Seriously, I will totally pay your moving expenses if I can move to Florida right now. We're just starting to pull out of survival mode around here. I'll probably start working on the motor again tomorrow... sigh...

Don't even tell me what the temp is in florida right now....

Solution yet? Outcome so far?

-Chris
Old 27-02-2013, 07:48   #112

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Oymyakon Russia, the coldest place in the world with year around habitation is minus 48 degrees: Oymyakon Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Sakha Russia
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 13:17   #113

Still working on it. At this point I've done everything I could think of as far as troubleshooting goes. I wasn't able to give the engine a proper compression test but I tried the drop of oil into the cylinder trick with the same results as usual. Now I'm slowly replacing everything from the battery forward. I'm putting new terminals and cables on the battery next weekend and I'll keep replacing the rest of the wiring bit by bit until all thats left to pull is the starter. I figure if that doesn't help the problem I'll at least rolled back the clock on the chances of corrosion in the wires being an issue further down the road.
Old 27-02-2013, 13:22   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Oymyakon Russia, the coldest place in the world with year around habitation is minus 48 degrees: Oymyakon Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Sakha Russia

Funny, I thought the coldest place in the world with year round habitation was Wisconsin. Hows the lake effect treating you guys this year?
Old 27-02-2013, 18:38   #115

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
I'm in Wisconsin and my brain has frozen shut. I feel like I've been sentenced to cruel and unusual punishment. Please disregard any posts I make until June. I should be thawed out sufficiently by then for coherent thought.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:06   #116

My wife and I have been suffering cabin fever here in Wisconsin. It has warmed up a little the last few days, and the fishing ice sheds are coming off the lakes, but March has historically also brought really heavy snow at times. All the boats are out of the water to protect them from the forces of ice freezing on the lakes. Most boats have blue shrink wrap on them, an odd sight driving by a marina.
Old 27-02-2013, 20:33   #117

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I honestly cannot understand why you guys all stay in your cold hells. Many complain but few move.
Old 27-02-2013, 22:58   #118

By the time we remember how much winter sucks around here we're snowed in and can't leave. :P

Luckily Boston is just warm enough that I can live aboard the Grampian in the water year round. She froze in the water a couple times this year despite the ice eater but the ice rarely sticks around long.

We've mostly got the white shrink wrap around here. I think there's only a handful of boats besides mine in my marina that isn't wrapped up.

Whenever I do figure out what the heck is wrong with my diesel I'll post it here.
Old 28-02-2013, 07:43   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I honestly cannot understand why you guys all stay in your cold hells. Many complain but few move.
We moved from California to Wisconsin for the grandkids
Old 28-02-2013, 09:31   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
I'm in Wisconsin and my brain has frozen shut. I feel like I've been sentenced to cruel and unusual punishment. Please disregard any posts I make until June. I should be thawed out sufficiently by then for coherent thought.
are you wearing your cheesehead? Maybe that would keep your brain from freezing up....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel