Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 16:33   #106
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,618
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Does anyone else find it frustrating trying to figure out a engine start problem by laying clean hands on a keyboard?

A good rule in medicine is that 75% of problems of problems can be correctly diagnosed from a careful history.

I am not sure mechanical systems obey these rules, but I suspect they are close.
Given that we ask the OP to conduct appropriate diagnostic tests, the forum should be able ( and I think usually does) come up with a reasonably accurate diagnosis for mechanical / electrical problems.

All for free
__________________

__________________
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 17:05   #107
Registered User
 
sanibel sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sanibel FL
Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Posts: 977
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
A good rule in medicine is that 75% of problems of problems can be correctly diagnosed from a careful history.

I am not sure mechanical systems obey these rules, but I suspect they are close.
Given that we ask the OP to conduct appropriate diagnostic tests, the forum should be able ( and I think usually does) come up with a reasonably accurate diagnosis for mechanical / electrical problems.

All for free
I was speaking to my personal frustration, not maligning the process of assisting others. Making the diagnosis does not make the patient better. I simply suffer from a compulsion to touch the patient and make old broken junk run again. Of course, if it were 14 degrees out down here, that might help quell my compulsion.
__________________

__________________
John Churchill Sanibel FL
NURDLE, 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:37   #108
Registered User
 
Ryan H's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Posts: 264
Images: 3
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Does anyone else find it frustrating trying to figure out a engine start problem by laying clean hands on a keyboard?

I would so happily trade with you! Sorry about disappearing the past few days, we got about 3ft of snow and 80 mph winds last week. Most of the area still doesn't have power. We've been living aboard my other boat in Boston harbor and it was all we could do to keep 'warm' and not get blown over from the wind.

Seriously, I will totally pay your moving expenses if I can move to Florida right now. We're just starting to pull out of survival mode around here. I'll probably start working on the motor again tomorrow... sigh...

Don't even tell me what the temp is in florida right now....
__________________
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 18:41   #109
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Belize city is 79 F.
__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:56   #110
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,936
Images: 1
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Copenhagen is 30 F. Snow. Dark.
__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 05:06   #111
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,982
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
I would so happily trade with you! Sorry about disappearing the past few days, we got about 3ft of snow and 80 mph winds last week. Most of the area still doesn't have power. We've been living aboard my other boat in Boston harbor and it was all we could do to keep 'warm' and not get blown over from the wind.

Seriously, I will totally pay your moving expenses if I can move to Florida right now. We're just starting to pull out of survival mode around here. I'll probably start working on the motor again tomorrow... sigh...

Don't even tell me what the temp is in florida right now....

Solution yet? Outcome so far?

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 08:48   #112
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Oymyakon Russia, the coldest place in the world with year around habitation is minus 48 degrees: Oymyakon Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Sakha Russia
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:17   #113
Registered User
 
Ryan H's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Posts: 264
Images: 3
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Still working on it. At this point I've done everything I could think of as far as troubleshooting goes. I wasn't able to give the engine a proper compression test but I tried the drop of oil into the cylinder trick with the same results as usual. Now I'm slowly replacing everything from the battery forward. I'm putting new terminals and cables on the battery next weekend and I'll keep replacing the rest of the wiring bit by bit until all thats left to pull is the starter. I figure if that doesn't help the problem I'll at least rolled back the clock on the chances of corrosion in the wires being an issue further down the road.
__________________
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 14:22   #114
Registered User
 
Ryan H's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Posts: 264
Images: 3
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwinds View Post
Oymyakon Russia, the coldest place in the world with year around habitation is minus 48 degrees: Oymyakon Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for Sakha Russia

Funny, I thought the coldest place in the world with year round habitation was Wisconsin. Hows the lake effect treating you guys this year?
__________________
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:38   #115
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alaska
Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter
Posts: 346
I'm in Wisconsin and my brain has frozen shut. I feel like I've been sentenced to cruel and unusual punishment. Please disregard any posts I make until June. I should be thawed out sufficiently by then for coherent thought.
__________________
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:06   #116
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

My wife and I have been suffering cabin fever here in Wisconsin. It has warmed up a little the last few days, and the fishing ice sheds are coming off the lakes, but March has historically also brought really heavy snow at times. All the boats are out of the water to protect them from the forces of ice freezing on the lakes. Most boats have blue shrink wrap on them, an odd sight driving by a marina.
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 21:33   #117
Registered User
 
sww914's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Punta De Mita
Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Posts: 1,842
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

I honestly cannot understand why you guys all stay in your cold hells. Many complain but few move.
__________________
Steve
http://www.landfallvoyages.com
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 23:58   #118
Registered User
 
Ryan H's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Posts: 264
Images: 3
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

By the time we remember how much winter sucks around here we're snowed in and can't leave. :P

Luckily Boston is just warm enough that I can live aboard the Grampian in the water year round. She froze in the water a couple times this year despite the ice eater but the ice rarely sticks around long.

We've mostly got the white shrink wrap around here. I think there's only a handful of boats besides mine in my marina that isn't wrapped up.

Whenever I do figure out what the heck is wrong with my diesel I'll post it here.
__________________
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:43   #119
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Wisconsin
Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Posts: 572
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I honestly cannot understand why you guys all stay in your cold hells. Many complain but few move.
We moved from California to Wisconsin for the grandkids
__________________
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:31   #120
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,342
Re: Need Some Help from the Diesel Gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
I'm in Wisconsin and my brain has frozen shut. I feel like I've been sentenced to cruel and unusual punishment. Please disregard any posts I make until June. I should be thawed out sufficiently by then for coherent thought.
are you wearing your cheesehead? Maybe that would keep your brain from freezing up....
__________________

__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Station Diesel vs Marine Diesel Rocketman Engines and Propulsion Systems 75 08-05-2016 20:31
Hybrid Propulsion - I Just Don't Get it twistedtree Engines and Propulsion Systems 38 19-06-2013 13:33
Bristol Factory Diesel Fireplace dcneuro Our Community 0 26-11-2012 13:53
Boat Diesel vs Truck Diesel In Training Engines and Propulsion Systems 37 26-11-2011 05:40
Do Not Use Biocide Journeyman Engines and Propulsion Systems 37 24-07-2011 19:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.