Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-10-2014, 09:41   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Need new prop shaft

Pulled the prop shaft to replace the cutlass bearing and see a fair amount of corrosion and some galling where it passes through the packing gland.

Has anyone used these folks? Propeller Shafts for sale. Buy your Prop Shaft online and save.

Opinions?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:58   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Need new prop shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Pulled the prop shaft to replace the cutlass bearing and see a fair amount of corrosion and some galling where it passes through the packing gland.

Has anyone used these folks? Propeller Shafts for sale. Buy your Prop Shaft online and save.

Opinions?
Are you sure you need to replace the shaft? I went through the same business a few years ago and after spending money on a new shaft I learned that I could have had the old shaft polished up, some weldment added, and the built up area re-machined to match the original, all for less than half the cost of the replacement. Friends of ours did so with their shaft and, just to be safe, added a Globe Drive-Saver that pushed the re-machine area aft of the packing gland a bit. They also went with a PSS Dripless Shaft Gland to avoid wear on the shaft itself.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've had that corrosion a couple times, unless prices have gone up a lot I would just replace it. Mine were both way too deep to polish out. Welding will just cause faster corrosion.
Being in Maryland, I would think there is a machine shop that specializes in custom shafts around there... they can duplicate yours. Most boatyards know these shops.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've had that corrosion a couple times, unless prices have gone up a lot I would just replace it. Mine were both way too deep to polish out. Welding will just cause faster corrosion.
Being in Maryland, I would think there is a machine shop that specializes in custom shafts around there... they can duplicate yours. Most boatyards know these shops.
Yes, the price I've been quoted for a made-in-MD replacement is about 2x the online price.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, the price I've been quoted for a made-in-MD replacement is about 2x the online price.
Ahh I see. Will the online make it custom to fit? Same material? BTW: how much is a shaft these days? and approx. how long is it?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:34   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Ahh I see. Will the online make it custom to fit? Same material? BTW: how much is a shaft these days? and approx. how long is it?
Well, it's pretty straight forward, 1 1/4" diameter and about 4' long, with a taper at the end. Between $300-$400 online, depending on the alloy, as opposed to $700 locally in MD.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52   #7
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

It's all about the material. You may not need some super alloy but I would not pay $300 for a 304 shaft.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What would be the best alloy?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It's all about the material. You may not need some super alloy but I would not pay $300 for a 304 shaft.
Well, considering that 304 lasted for 35 years, I suspect would be good for another 30.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58   #10
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c

Not sure but Nitronic 60?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:01   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is sleeving a possibility?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, it's pretty straight forward, 1 1/4" diameter and about 4' long, with a taper at the end. Between $300-$400 online, depending on the alloy, as opposed to $700 locally in MD.
Well... a similar shaft about 15 years ago was $250 so prices haven't gone too bad.... at least from the on line source. I replaced mine with 304 shafting. The reason they corrode inside is not from use but from sitting with stagnant water in there.
If you can afford exotic metal that would be great. I wanted to replace mine with monel 15 years ago, but opted out do to cost and lead time. As you said, if it lasts 20 + years.....

Old 07-10-2014, 12:16   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, considering that 304 lasted for 35 years, I suspect would be good for another 30.
Yeah but your original was Chinese, the American one may not last that long.....

Old 07-10-2014, 12:21   #14

Boat: Cascade 36

For a west coast perspective, I had a 1" shaft replaced a few months ago. It was around 42" and the cost with a coupling, fit, and facing was right around $630. It was the Aquamet 19 (basically 304) material.
Old 07-10-2014, 18:51   #15

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

In response to your question...
I have used them, good service, a human answered the phone, directed me to the right person who answered my questions, shaft came quick and was correct, cheaper than local even with shipping, and I think the lead time was about the same. I would use them again, no question. I think I bought my PSS shaft seal from them as well.

I had some shaft galling/pitting as well. I was thinking of making do with it, then I rolled it across a flat surface and saw it had a slight bend...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: