Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 08:52   #1

Boat: Lagoon 55
Need new 55hp diesel engines - where to buy

Hi everyone, discovered today that both my engines are damaged beyond repair due to salt water intrusion

Now need to purchase 2 new ones, looking at the new Yanmar 4JH57's. Any thoughts from experts?

Local Yanmar rep not too happy with so looking to purchase abroad. Anybody has good advice on where I could buy them online?

Thanks everyone!!!
BaledAlSalaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 00:43   #2

Re: Need new 55hp diesel engines - where to buy

Does anybody have experience with purchasing from Marine Diesel Inboard Engine

They seem reasonably priced and ship from Indonesia which is not too far from me. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No idea at all sorry.
However I assume you know exactly what and how both engines were damaged and have fixed that problem?
Is an overhaul not possible?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No idea at all sorry.
However I assume you know exactly what and how both engines were damaged and have fixed that problem?
Is an overhaul not possible?
The boat has been on the hard for nearly 3 years now. When it was lifted out they didn't flush the engines so I think at some point, perhaps when lifting some water went back into the engine. The Yanmar dealer here inspected them and gave a quotation for overhaul that is higher then buying brand new ones..
Old 04-07-2018, 09:34   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ouch, sorry.
I’d try my best to determine how the damage occurred with the idea of course of not having it happen again.
I don’t know where you are, but I believe some have repowered with Beta engines for less money than Yanmar’s and seem to be very happy with them, they seem to be at least as good if not better quality, but that is second hand info, but I’d look into it.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:37   #6

Thanks, will definitely look into it. I live in the Sultanate of Oman (next to Dubai). Yanmar service is pretty bad so I will have to import from overseas. Importing from the USA is actually quite good as we have a free trade agreement and shipping cost is relatively low as many "empty" container ships coming back from the USA to China pass by here. Are Beta engines manufactured int he USA?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’m pretty sure Beta is a Marinized Kubota, which is of course a well respected Japanese engine.
I don’t have experience with them just know they seem to have quite a following and one day if faced with a repower I know I’d look real hard at one.
Parts are apparently very widely available and for less money than Yanmar or Volvo.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:08   #8

Thanks a lot for the tip! Reading up on them now and will make some calls tomorrow to check prices. Seems like a very good option, just have to check if it won't be an issue with my Vdrive which appears to be compatible. Again, thanks a lot!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:23   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was hoping that others would chime in, still hope so.
Please don’t take my word for it, check yourself, and if you don’t do your own work, make sure you can find a good mechanic that is familiar with the breed.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:49   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

I almost bought a new Yanmar in Panama City, Panama once. His price was the same as others in the US. I was also set to get some sort of deal too, so that is a possibility.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 13:06   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaledAlSalaam View Post
Thanks a lot for the tip! Reading up on them now and will make some calls tomorrow to check prices. Seems like a very good option, just have to check if it won't be an issue with my Vdrive which appears to be compatible. Again, thanks a lot!
Beta will sell directly to end user and ship anywhere. They will also match their mounts to your existing configuration. That makes for an easy and less expensive install. Could be a do it yourself install or hire someone to do it. I'd get a second opinion on your existing engines also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:50   #12

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaledAlSalaam View Post
Does anybody have experience with purchasing from Marine Diesel Inboard Engine

They seem reasonably priced and ship from Indonesia which is not too far from me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi, I haven't ordered yet but I am negotiating with them on 4JH5E's and they seem very professional, give 2 years warranty, quote for shipping 2 engines to Guatemala was 1850USD.

I am sure repowering with the same engines will be much less headache, and if the access is good it will be a matter of days. Good luck with your purchase!
LotNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:30   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have not had a problem on a delivery or charter yet (knock wood), but I have heard of issues with the ECMs on some yanmars. Does anyone make a 50hp diesel without electronic engine controls?

Also some of the Yanmar mixing elbows have a terrible double wall inverted “U” design. As shown below the water enters at the 3 o’clock position in the U, flows uphill and mixes at the 10 o’clock position. The inner/double wall that separates the salt water from the exhaust is a wear item.

If you do not change the fitting on schedule, the inner wall will fail. This will result in hydro-locking an engine if it does not start quickly. While this should not be an issue on new engines, as it gets older...
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

Beta engines are marinized in Great Britain AFAIK. They are a conventional diesel without electronic controls.. Once started they have no need of electricity [emoji5] When I ordered mine they welded up mounts to my specification and the engine fit perfectly. They can also accommodate several different transmissions. I am very happy with my 50.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 18:49   #15

Hello everyone. First of all sincere apologies for my very late reply. At some stage I kept getting notifications that my account was not eligible to publish and after I thought I tried everything I gave up.... Have been extremely busy since working on the cat and wanted to update on the process so decided to give it another try and brought some help. Turned out I forgot to verify my email after I updated it....

Second of all thank you so much for your kind responses. It really helped me a lot and especially AH64pilot's tip regarding the Beta's.

I bought 2 Beta 50's.
The purchase process went relatively smooth.
The engines arrived in sturdy boxes and look very slick all painted in red.
We installed them last week and the cat was launched yesterday afternoon. We decided to let her rest in the water first for a good day or so before starting sea trials. She's been out of the water for 3 years.....

The engines do vibrate significantly at idle. A bit less when put in gear but defenitely more then any Yanmar or Volvo of similar size that I have sailed thus far. The mechanic will start looking into it tomorrow so hope they'll find the cause.

Will keep you all posted on the progress. Thanks again!

Tags
diesel, engine