Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 05:16   #1

Boat: HUNTER PASSAGE 450 "TARENTELA" & CHIEN HWA 35 TRAWLER "AVALON"
Need Hunter 450 / Seaward gauge specs

The oil pressure gauge on my 1998 Hunter Passage 450 reads max as soon as I turn on the ignition key. reads 0 when disconnected from the sender, and max if grounded to the block. I think this is an indication the sender is faulty but please correct me if I'm wrong. My engine is a Yanmar 4JH2HTE and has a Seaward Panel. There are different types of resistance scales used on different gauges and I dont know which one I have. Cant figure out with a fried sender. I need to know exactly what type of sender I have so I can purchase the correct type of replacement from an aftermarket supplier. Yanmar cant help me and the local suppliers are also in the dark. I can't try different ones as the boat is far away and returning something isn't an option. Any help is greatly appreciated.
YACHT TARENTELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:33   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Need Hunter 450 / Seaward gauge specs

It's a VDO gauge I think. I replaced mine this year on my 410 but don't remember the part number. Get the number off the back of the gauge and do a web search on it. It is an old gauge and the specs wouldn't be listed so you need to match it up based on the picture.

The other way to do it and the way I should have done to start with because I got a sender first that wasn't the problem: buy a new matched sender and gauge (can get from Defender etc). You need to get a kit where the gauge is the same diameter as the ne you currently have. The kit should come with adapters for screwing the sender into the engine.

Tags
hunter, seaward