Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 16:09   #1

Need Help with Yanmar Gearbox

ok, here goes the saga....

just bought first sailboat (after 30 years of motorboating).
we are on a pretty tight budget, but came across a nice old sailboat at a good price (mabey>>>)..

Engine is a 79 2qm15. Ran fine when we bought it.. BUT on the first trip, we had to motor quite a bit due to lack of wind, and havint to travel 30 miles dead into the wind....

As i got to the marina smoke started coming out of the galley... uh oh....
shut her down, no more smoke...
got into the marina and found out that i had no reverse.....
after i got her into the slip i inspected the engine.. NO DIPSITCK/PLUG IN THE GEARBOX.......
So i remover the motor and unbolt the bell housing and gearbos slides right off... no problems yet.

get gearbox to my shop (i am a pretty hand wrench spinner) and get side cover off and look at gearshafts..
then try and get flange offf the output shaft... no dice... broke 2 three jaw pullers..soaked in penetrating oil.. tried propane heat, still no dice...

so i find a 1980 2qm20 online that has a fuel pump problem and a good transmission for less that the $700.00 in parts needed for my gearbox...

buy the motor and get it here, and cannot get the gearbox off.....
the input shaft seems to be stuck in the dampener (clutch, or whatever it is called).....

so my question is how do i get the gearbox off without trashing it?
The bellhousing is different that the 2qm15, but the gearbox is the same. All the perimeter bolds are off... so is there anything i am missing?

any tips?
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 17:27   #2

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
I (and my auto mechanic brother, 25 years experience) removed the Km2p trannie from my 1982 Yanmar 2GM. Had the same issue, where the transmission / spline seemed frozen in the engine / damper plate.

It just took some good hitting side to side with a heavy rubber mallet and prybars / long screwdrivers on each side, working it back and forth. At 1st it didn't seem like it was coming , but slowly you could see the seam opening up, so we kept working it.

If I had been by myself, I would not have wanted to work it as hard as we did, for fear of damaging it. However, my brother was confident that we could get it, woithout damaging it. He was right. Lapped the drive cones to the fwd / rev gears, checked it all over, reassembled and works great.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 17:42   #3

thanks..
soaked it down in penetrating fluid tonight, and will keep at it tomorrow.
i have been using a tie rod seperator as a wedge and it has opened up a little , but it looks like the dampener is pulling apart instead of the shaft coming out of the dampener.
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gearbox, yanmar