Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2018, 08:41   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
My rust bucket has me wanting to quit.

The 15hp Beta in my Vega has never been in great condition, but I think it's getting worse these days -- at least, cosmetically.

There's a lot of rust, in a lot of places (see photos), and each time I open up an access panel or hatch to look at the engine, it has me worried that something is going to fail catastrophically at the worst possible moment (like the Panama Canal crossing).

I'm not a great marine diesel mechanic, so I have no idea whether the rust bucket is mostly cosmetic, or presents serious concerns. Fixing the problem also seems daunting, and I wouldn't know how to begin. Well, that's a lie. I did buy some red enamel paint .

What advice do you guys have for a sailor on the edge? I love this boat, but sometimes I just want to swim away and not come back to it -- and I'm only half joking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180626_112145.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	172486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180626_112150.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	172487  

Name:	IMG_20180626_112739.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	172488  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 08:51   #2

Re: My rust bucket has me wanting to quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
The 15hp Beta in my Vega has never been in great condition, but I think it's getting worse these days -- at least, cosmetically.

There's a lot of rust, in a lot of places (see photos), and each time I open up an access panel or hatch to look at the engine, it has me worried that something is going to fail catastrophically at the worst possible moment (like the Panama Canal crossing).

I'm not a great marine diesel mechanic, so I have no idea whether the rust bucket is mostly cosmetic, or presents serious concerns. Fixing the problem also seems daunting, and I wouldn't know how to begin. Well, that's a lie. I did buy some red enamel paint .

What advice do you guys have for a sailor on the edge? I love this boat, but sometimes I just want to swim away and not come back to it -- and I'm only half joking.

I used to be "afraid" of my diesel engine. Prior to this I had only brief experience with gas marine and car engines. My suggestion is give it some love. Change the filters, change the zinc, change the oil, change the coolant. Then spray it with an engine degreaser to clean it up, buy some engine spraypaint and PAINT it. You'll become more familiar with it, it will look better, and it won't be so scary anymore.

Good luck... and enjoy Bonaire. That's my favorite place on the planet.

Before and after pics of my "scary" then "non-scary" old Westerbeke.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	172489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3965.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	172490  

Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 09:09   #3

That Beta doesn't look too bad at all. I've seen much worse. The exhaust connection is pretty typical on many diesels. Not sure what you can do about that other than a new SS one. The shaft coupling is very typical and not even part of the Beta. Keep things clean as you get a chance, scrape/wire brush the rust off the block areas and recoat with paint after cleaning.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 09:14   #4

I agree with Cheechako. That Beta doesn't look any worse than my Westerbeke did. Maybe better.

As long as you're getting your hands greasy might as well change out the raw water impeller (changing mine is a PITA because it's on the aft part of the motor.) Yours is sitting right there in plain sight behind that bronze cover.
Old 26-06-2018, 09:21   #5

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

A dry motor compartment with good salt free venting will go a long way to avoid the rust and corrosion. Salt water spray from a wet shaft gland or lose fitting can cause an ugly mess. As mentioned above often cosmetic and can be cleaned up particularly before you try to sell boat.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 10:10   #6

Boat: Hullmaster 27

If you haven't got the operator's service manual ... here's the link:
http://betamarineengines.com/downloads/1590-1025-HEKC-SOM-0314.pdf

Curiously I don't see the fuel filter that is usually at the top left in front of the dip-stick ... you've got an external filter, but mine has another filter as well, built into the engine ... if you want to show the engine some love maybe you could retrofit one.

If you think that engine looks bad ... then don't go boat shopping for another old 27ft boat ... you'll see a lot worse out there.

btw ... I don't think Beta ever made a 15 ... it's probably either 14 or 16, although I understand most parts are the same.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 13:39   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ryban, consider the thickness of the exhaust manifold connecting flange. As suggested above, wire-brush off the rust, paint it with rust converter, and wait till it bugs you again.

Surface rust does little harm.

You can spray the engine with de-greaser, and then rinse with really hot water (boil it in a kettle) to clean up the engine and the engine compartment, if you want. Some guys like to keep the bilge so clean you could eat off it, which makes it easy to see any new drip. It's up to you.

You might want to get a Diesels for Dummies book, some time, you will need something like that.

Ann
Old 26-06-2018, 13:54   #8

Boat: Currently in between

You ever heard the question and answer: "How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time."

When you look at the engine you are looking at the big picture and it is daunting. Change your mindset and pick pieces of the engine. Then each visit work on one little piece; degrease, rinse, wire brush and paint. Next visit pick another area and repeat. After a while the whole engine will be done!
Old 26-06-2018, 16:55   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
...Then spray it with an engine degreaser to clean it up, buy some engine spraypaint and PAINT it....
Is it that easy? I see a lot of painted engines, but I never did it myself. So you squirt it with degreaser, then what? How do you clean off the residue? Rags? Paper towels? Garden hose?

Any other prep before spraying it with engine paint?
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 17:53   #10

While you're at it!!!---the hose from the coolant pump that goes under the alternator and back to the hX has the original factory paint on it. That indicates that it is an OEM hose. It and your other hoses should be replaced. Why? If one of those way old hoses leaks, you end up with serious overheating and a possible engine seizure. That'd get you a new engine. Hmmm....???

If, like my Universal M25, that hose from the coolant pump is a 1" to 7/8" hose, you'll have to cobble together a size change somewhere. I found a Toyota hose that does just that, and you might actually find one since Toyotas are everywhere, right?

M25 and M25XP Freshwater Coolant Hose 1" to 7/8" TOYOTA Source
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 18:50   #11
rbk

Boat: T37

A marine mechanic buddy told me after working on an engine he gives it a light spray with wd40 everywhere he can then a quick wipe down. It helps to slow corrosion and makes you look all over the engine each time you work on it. I do this every time now on all my engines, keeps electrical connections clean as well as exposed metal, and it’s a light spray, don’t saturate it or it can smoke. Also I agree with all comments above.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2018, 19:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Is it that easy? I see a lot of painted engines, but I never did it myself. So you squirt it with degreaser, then what? How do you clean off the residue? Rags? Paper towels? Garden hose?

Any other prep before spraying it with engine paint?

It was that easy. My main goal was to protect it from rusting further. Of course, I wasn't able to paint every bit of the engine as parts of it are just impossible to hit with spray paint while installed, however I was able to reach about 85% of the engine.

I taped off the intake and any sensitive looking electronics and sprayed on this:

Foamy Gunk Engine Degreaser - https://www.amazon.com/Gunk-FEB1-Foa.../dp/B000ABGA6W

I let it do its work for a few minutes and then used a hand spray bottle of fresh water to rinse it off. I then sprayed on the degreaser again in spots where there was still grease. Then rinsed again. Then did a cursory wipe down with paper towels.

I left the engine compartment open and waited for it to dry completely. Then I used a piece of cardboard to "guide" my spray and painted her with:
Duplicolor Red Spray Engine Enamel - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wear a good respirator. I did and I still almost passed out from the fumes. FYI - your boat will be uninhabitable for a couple of days while the paint dries.

I did not use a wire brush to scrape all the rust. This just seemed like a ton of work. Maybe I'll pay for it later, but all the paint seems to have adhered just fine.
Old 27-06-2018, 09:12   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Thanks Peregrine! I may try it on a spot or two and see if I can get the knack before I go all out. But you've given me the motivation to at least try!
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:33   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

The matching paint colour for Beta "red" engines is "PlastiKote Engine Enamel 209 Universal Red". Use a rust converter primer first after brushing off the loose stuff.

EDIT: I agree about the stink. Pick a low-humidity, sunny day and open every hatch. Apply thin coats, three should do, and mask off with painter's tape any labels, plaque, etc. you don't want red. Or "unreadable".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 09:42   #15

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

As was already mentioned above, rust converter is a great way to prevent further rust. I use a brand called Ospho. Oxalic acid also works.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote