Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2015, 17:39   #91

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: My prop fell off... f.ck f.ck f.ck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Thin one (jam nut) first, big one (king nut) second.
Excellent. Walking through boatyards more seem to be wrong than right.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 21:52   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ahhh, so that's how it works. My washer was used with the prop before I fitted the flexofold and I think was perfectly flat with no sign of ever been previously being bent.
Correction, looking at the photo in hindsight it is obvious as to where it was bent

Now bending that whilst on the underwater rollercoaster might have been a challenge.
Old 26-08-2015, 22:04   #93
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Now bending that whilst on the underwater rollercoaster might have been a challenge.
It's something of a challenge no matter where you do it. And by "challenge" I mean, "pain in the ass."
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 22:21   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
It's something of a challenge no matter where you do it. And by "challenge" I mean, "pain in the ass."
I wonder if filing down the inside edge of the washer would at least make it easier to get a screwdriver in. I suppose a chisel would perhaps make it easier?

When you need to hammer away UW, do you need a much heavier hammer than you need topside?
Old 26-08-2015, 22:42   #95

Something I was thinking. If I had detected the problem before the Flexofold dropped. To fix it I would have had to take the blades off to get to the nut. And to get them off I'd have to needed to clear out the growth inside the bolts so I could use the hex keys. Then I would have needed the loctite 243 or spare bolts with the loctite already on them.

I don't have the loctite 243 and I don't have a spare shaft nut locking screw. So maybe it did me a favour falling off when it did because aside from the hassle of getting a key, I think putting the old prop on was a much easier job

I have ordered a full set of screws including two shaft nut locking screws so I'll have one spare.
Old 26-08-2015, 23:13   #96
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
I wonder if filing down the inside edge of the washer would at least make it easier to get a screwdriver in.
More trouble than it's worth, IMHO.

Quote:
When you need to hammer away UW, do you need a much heavier hammer than you need topside?
No.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 23:20   #97

Quote:
Something I was thinking. If I had detected the problem before the Flexofold dropped. To fix it I would have had to take the blades off to get to the nut. And to get them off I'd have to needed to clear out the growth inside the bolts so I could use the hex keys. Then I would have needed the loctite 243 or spare bolts with the loctite already on them.

I don't have the loctite 243 and I don't have a spare shaft nut locking screw. So maybe it did me a favour falling off when it did because aside from the hassle of getting a key, I think putting the old prop on was a much easier job

I have ordered a full set of screws including two shaft nut locking screws so I'll have one spare.
I mean loctite 248
Old 26-08-2015, 23:25   #98

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hoppy

Since i have the same set-up as you. You wondered if the tranny should be in reverse. Both Yanmar and Jeanneau (on Yanmar engines) note that the tranny should never be put in reverse while sailing. Even with a fixed prop, you should let it freewheel.

The source for this information is my Yanmar technical manual and my Jeanneau owners manual.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 00:07   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hoppy

Since i have the same set-up as you. You wondered if the tranny should be in reverse. Both Yanmar and Jeanneau (on Yanmar engines) note that the tranny should never be put in reverse while sailing. Even with a fixed prop, you should let it freewheel.

The source for this information is my Yanmar technical manual and my Jeanneau owners manual.
I recall a thread about this and I remember seeing a definitive answer, which I may or may not have seen in the manual myself, but I was also unsure what the answer was as I forgot . Given my nervousness of my replacement, I still think not having the prop spinning mad me feel more comfortable that the nut wasn't being vibrated loose.

I've tracked down the correct key in Stockholm, so I'll be getting a few and hoping only one of them will ever be needed
Old 27-08-2015, 01:23   #100

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

On keys. The engineering company that machined a new shaft for me a few years ago put a hole right through the key at one end and tapped it. The idea being if it jambed in the keyway it could be jacked out with a bolt with a matching thread. Not sure if getting the key out is an Issue with smaller props but it seemed like a smart idea.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-08-2015, 01:38   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
On keys. The engineering company that machined a new shaft for me a few years ago put a hole right through the key at one end and tapped it. The idea being if it jambed in the keyway it could be jacked out with a bolt with a matching thread. Not sure if getting the key out is an Issue with smaller props but it seemed like a smart idea.

If mine was jammed in it would have saved me from having to run around yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-08-2015, 02:48   #102

Ha, very true... They made mine a very tight fit, had to tap it in gently. Haven't had to take the prop off again so no idea if it's going to be difficult.

Old 27-08-2015, 03:10   #103
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, lapping a bronze prop onto a SS shaft using valve grinding paste is pretty easy and pretty quick. Assuming both have the "same" taper with an initial fit on around 25%, getting a 80+ % fit can be obtained in about 15 minutes of hand lapping. An SS prop is a different story

And with a 90+% fit the propnut doesn't need any locknut or cotter pin if you only use ahead . The torque is taken 100% in the taper and the prop force is always tightening the taper. Of course the propnut is still required for the times you are going astern and so it should be locked with a tab, jamnut , loctite or cotter pin.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 03:52   #104

As I recall the big ships props don't even have keyways, they use a hydraulic expansion system to lock the prop onto the tapered shaft, they don't seem to loose to many props! Saves the stress riser of the keyway in the shaft. The system is reversed to drive the prop off. Just a fun factoid!

Old 27-08-2015, 04:17   #105

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Hoppy just caught this thread. One thing for shore once you request a tow in Greece they will impound your yacht you must hand over all yacht papers etc supposedly the repair must be done by a qualified engineer and then certified by a loyds registered surveyor this happens to me ie blown head casket the cost to me by the surveyor was 1000 euros another British yacht broke prop shaft the next day after my failure and cost him the same amount
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote