Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2015, 04:40   #61

Re: My prop fell off... f.ck f.ck f.ck.

I was going to wait for the wind died down a bit but then decided f.ck it. I decided to do it by snorkel and to simplify things I put the prop on first and tied it on loosely. I then went back down with the key, slid the prop off and then back on once the key was in and tightened up the rope. It was like a roller coaster with the boat moving around so much and I don't think the key or the prop would have stayed in place any other way.

The nut and washer were added and it's all tightened up now

I did a quick run in forward and reverse and then went back down to check the nut. So far so good.

BTW I took a look at my flexofold and found that it was missing the shaft nut locking screw.

I'm going to Sweden on Friday for a few days, so I'm getting flexofold to send the prop parts there.

Time to rest a little and then latter I will do the 5nm into the wind to the marina. I might just motorsail it.
Old 26-08-2015, 05:00   #62

I don't get the key sizing... I found them in a store in Stockholm I know, but for a 30mm shaft the size is 8x7x40mm. The 8x7makes sense but the 40mm is a lot shorter than what seems right for my shaft which seem to fit well with the 53.6mm.

After this experience I want to make sure I have a few spares.

Propelleraxelkil - Capella Marin AB - Försäljning, dimensionering, import av propellrar, foldingpropellrar, flöjlande propellrar, axlar, drivknutar, lager.
Old 26-08-2015, 07:50   #63

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I was going to wait for the wind died down a bit but then decided f.ck it. I decided to do it by snorkel and to simplify things I put the prop on first and tied it on loosely. I then went back down with the key, slid the prop off and then back on once the key was in and tightened up the rope. It was like a roller coaster with the boat moving around so much and I don't think the key or the prop would have stayed in place any other way.

I did a quick run in forward and reverse and then went back down to check the nut. So far so good.

BTW I took a look at my flexofold and found that it was missing the shaft nut locking screw.

I'm going to Sweden on Friday for a few days, so I'm getting flexofold to send the prop parts there.

Time to rest a little and then latter I will do the 5nm into the wind to the marina. I might just motorsail it.

Was the shaft nut still inside the prop but loose? As I recall from installing my flexifold the zinc will retain the nut which is likely expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 08:06   #64
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I would coat the key in lots of grease. The thicker stuff is remarkably tenacious and does not wash off easily.
I would recommend against this. The prop is not designed to have a lubricant on the mating surfaces and in fact, it may keep the hub from seating properly.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 08:18   #65

Boat: Monk 36

Surely, you must have some duct tape aboard?
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 08:53   #66

Boat: C&C 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

Sir Hoppy,
Did you get a spilt pin / cotter pin through the nut and shaft or just through the shaft? Please do one or the other before you head out.
Regards
Sail on....
Old 26-08-2015, 09:56   #67

Funny, I installed a 2 blade flex-o-fold 2 months ago, following the directions explicitly and mine fell off after 30 days. We had a lot of vibration from the beginning, which I contacted the manufacture and the Annapolis dealer about. The dealer said they had a lot of problems with them. The manufacturer said the prop was factory tested before shipping and was perfectly true, but they also sent some wrong parts which had to be reordered. We did not find the prop as it came off in a 30' deep badly silted river. The diver said the silt was 6' deep at least. We did not have any vibration before this prop was installed.
wsailing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 10:47   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I would recommend against this. The prop is not designed to have a lubricant on the mating surfaces and in fact, it may keep the hub from seating properly.
OK thanks for the tip Fstbttms .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:31   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
That is true but Noelex only suggested coating the key with grease to hold it in the slot while the prop was seated on the shaft. That would not affect the seating of the prop. on the shaft.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 11:47   #70
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
That is true but Noelex only suggested coating the key with grease to hold it in the slot while the prop was seated on the shaft.
Yes, and that grease will be spread to other surfaces during the installation.

There is really no reason to somehow secure the key in the keyway prior to installing the prop. The OP can simply rotate the shaft so that the keyway is on top and then lay the key in it. Then he can slide the hub onto the shaft and over the key. It only takes a couple of good thumps with the palm of your hand on the after end of the hub to drive it far enough and securely enough onto the shaft that it will not slide off on its own. Then he can install the nut and blade assembly at leisure. I have done this many times without ever losing a single part.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 12:07   #71

I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever been so relieved to be tied up in a marina as i am right now

Because it has been so windy and the marina was all the way up wind, even if it was on 5 nm, I decided to wait at anchor for the predicted easing of the winds and headed off a little under an hour before sunset. If I hadn't had the prop issues I perhaps would have motored hugging the coast to get shelter from the chop. But not exactly trusting my installation and having nothing more than the nut holding on the prop (on where for cottle pin but the tip of the nut had thread) so I sailed. I normally never sail with just the headsail, but I did tonight. Tacking up between an island and the mainland in what became pitch black and then arriving at a totally unfamiliar marina solo.

When sailing I put the tranny in reverse which was then really hard to put back into neutral (I wonder what is recommended? Never sailed with the fix prop before). As I approached the marina under sail I was felling a bit nervous about the prop, so I prepared the anchor so it could be dropped and have the remote in my pocket just incase. I started motoring and rolled in the sail at anchoring depth which I knew would be just near the marina.

Conveniently they have put me 50m from the haul out area. I'll be booking a time there for when I'm back with the flexofold parts......

I must admit that in the days leading up to the prop loss a couple of times I heard strange noises when engaging gear. I put it down to ham fisted handling of the throttle.

In the future, I think I will try to make a habit of occasionally checking the prop when I swim

So f.cking relieved....
Old 26-08-2015, 12:16   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hooray for you, Hoppy...defeated the forces of darkness yet again!

Well done, sir!

Ann
Old 26-08-2015, 12:17   #73

Quote:
Yes, and that grease will be spread to other surfaces during the installation.

There is really no reason to somehow secure the key in the keyway prior to installing the prop. The OP can simply rotate the shaft so that the keyway is on top and then lay the key in it. Then he can slide the hub onto the shaft and over the key. It only takes a couple of good thumps with the palm of your hand on the after end of the hub to drive it far enough and securely enough onto the shaft that it will not slide off on its own. Then he can install the nut and blade assembly at leisure. I have done this many times without ever losing a single part.
It was not an option for me. The key easily dropped into the slot and would just as easily fallen out. I was at anchor in 30-35 knots of wind with the boat moving from side to side quite violently at times. What I would have given to do it in the comfort of a marina
Old 26-08-2015, 12:19   #74

thanks for all of the suggestions and encouragement. I think I might have gone mad with worry if I wasn't occupied with the thread.

Old 26-08-2015, 12:20   #75

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Hoppy, you deserve a beer! Or three!

Very glad you & your boat are safe!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote