Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2009, 18:08   #1

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine

So I just got word that the A4 in by 1968 Bristol 29 may be toast (last overhaul 1985). The yard is going to gingerly work on her but has warned that the worst may come. I have already eliminated re-powering with a diesel its simply way out of my budget. So that leaves me with rebuilding or buying a rebuilt A4. Does anyone have any experience with Moyer Marine? I am thinking of purchasing one of their rebuilt A4s.

Does anyone know what it will cost to ship an A4 across the country?

Thanks.
fullkeel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 18:41   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I work closely with Don

He and his wife are good people. I have gotten a couple of short blocks from him. The workmanship is excellent.

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts

FWIW...before I went independent, I found it was/is a common thing to mislead customers that their A-4 is shot and you can't get parts...gasoline is dangerous...and any of a number of "embellished truths"...the yard I worked in would not work on A-4s.....

I keep a lot of those babies running well.

got to www.youtube.com and search for "Atomic 4 Extinction"
this was an engine that was condemned for its "cosmetics"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 20:05   #3

Chief Engineer, thanks for the info. The yard where my boat is actually recommended a Moyer rebuilt engine over a diesel re-power. They just want me to pay for the labor of removing the old engine and installing the new one.

Still waiting for more details as to what exactly is wrong with it. They are voicing a fear that if they start taking things apart bolts and other corroded parts might start breaking.
fullkeel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 20:12   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What is the engine doing or not doing?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 10:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Don Moyer (Marine) is THE A4 guru!!!
I'm a confirmed diesel guy myself, but (as Chief) Eng. indicates, the venerable "Atomic Bomb" is a great gas engine.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 13:43   #6

Just installed my complete drop in MMI A4 3 months ago and it was the only way to go. I thought about a short block to save some money but have to say it would not have been worth it with all the corrosion and unknown things the PO has done to it. I'm betting this Moyer A4 will last another 20+ years like the one that I just pulled out. Go for it and you could even chage it your self instead of using the yard to save some money. It was very easy just attached a chain hoist to the boom and out she comes. Number all your wire that you take off!
Irwin325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 14:29   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
The "Rolex" of small marine engines
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 03:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullkeel2 View Post
Still waiting for more details as to what exactly is wrong with it. They are voicing a fear that if they start taking things apart bolts and other corroded parts might start breaking.
The engine is fairly simple to work on if a person is handy with tools. Once you get that list, visit the A4 community at the Moyer forum for comments to help you judge for yourself whether the engine is repairable Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community. Some of the restoration stories are amazing, and my guess is that a lot of A4s have been given up on too soon over the years.

Meanwhile, prowl the archives there. There isn't is a stuck/broken A4 bolt/stud/nut that won't likely have a fix, and Moyer's company have built replacement parts or workarounds for many of the common problems encountered during repairs.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 03:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Universal Atomic Four Owner’s Manual:
http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/atomic4manual/a4manual.htm

or

Atomic Four

A-4 Information Pages (original specification sheets, owner's manual, and parts manual)
Engines1 | Westerbeke, Universal, Marine Engines, AGM Batteries, Engine Controls Knowledgebase

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 14:45   #10

I've done some repairs to the A4 on my Bristol 33. Moyer Marine is the best! Very patient with an amateur, and very clear instructions. I would trust ANYTHING he makes.
dsimon1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 21:04   #11

Ema the short block is going to do fine just make sure the manifold soesnt have alot o corosion and the carb is goood and clean very clean. Then spend the money on electonic ingnition for sure, u can easyly get another 10-20 years if its a MMI short block. PM me if you have questions I've put up with alot of problems before I took the dive on the drop in.
Matt
Old 22-07-2009, 21:08   #12

Oh yeah get rid of any fiberglass gas tanks, as that was causing a odd build up on my intake ports due to the ethonal in the new gas types deteriorating the resins in the fiberglass and then depositing it on the intake valves and causing many problems. I.E. the government sticks there fingers in things and screws it up with tat damn ethonal BS.

Tags
engine