Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 20:15   #1

Boat: WD Schock Santana 30 (1975)
Mounting Outboard on Santana 30 Transom?

Hi all,

Some of you may recall my recent exploits with an overheated Volvo MD6A (baked rings - lost compression) and my need to transit the East River in NYC to get my boat to its' home before 11/8.

Well, the plot thickens. I had an old 15hp long shaft Evinrude that I thought I could get running as a kicker. I bought a small articulating motor mount but then couldn't get the outboard to run reliably. I then bought a 2000 Mercury Bigfoot 9.9 4 stroke long shaft (20") from a dealer. Came to install the motor today and found the mount wouldn't let the prop get into the water (only 10" of travel). Went to West Marine and bought a larger mount with 16" of travel. Removed stern ladder and mounted mount as low as possible on the transom...but STILL can't get the prop all the way into the water!!!

My transom is inverse and curved in every way possible. I'm using 3/4 inch birch plywood as a backing plate and to shim the mount closer to level...but it's not enough or even close to enough.

Rebuilding the diesel now will cost a couple $1000 due to the quick turnaround required...and keeping the boat where she is for the winter would be much higher than my club is charging me.

I'm wondering about fabricating a steel wedge shaped frame which would allow the motor mount to actually hang below the transom itself and to be level instead of countered against the stern. This can be temporary but has to work. Anybody ever see such a contraption?

Thanks in advance.
Sur la Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 20:22   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Mounting outboard on Santana 30 transom?

If this is a one time only necessity, you could move some heavy stuff to the stern to put it deeper in the water. Would bring the bow up, of course, which might make steering a bit tricky.

Maybe a lot of water bottles or heavy anchors or bricks. You could build your own frame out of steel angle iron and heavy bolts but be sure to use a thick wooden backing board inside the transom. I once owned a santana and it had a very thin transom.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 20:47   #3

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Why not make arrangements for a tow to LI sound then sail to your club and get assistance docking?
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 04:23   #4

Thanks folks. It turned out a night of sleeping on it did the trick. I woke early with an idea and motivation so went to Home Depot and stocked up. The result looks ugly but worked great last night to get us out of Black Rock then into City Island at 2am in 15-25 knot winds and healthy seas. It held up to a fair pounding during the 30nm sail. Control access to the motor is not convenient but what can you do? The transom is thick at the back stay chain plate but fairly thin elsewhere so 3/4" birch ply backing plates were used. It's not a permanent solution (fixing the diesel is!) but it's letting me move the boat to her new home!!
Old 26-10-2014, 04:26   #5

Talking Re: Mounting outboard on Santana 30 transom?

Here's a picture of the assembly...
Old 26-10-2014, 05:47   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Picture's not showing. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 08:29   #7

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

After the inboard died we sailed 1000 miles in our Challenger 32 using the 9.9 Yamaha on the Achilles inflatable RAFTED alongside the boat. RAFTING is critical, tied fairly tight fore and aft in centre of boat. Gas tank placed on boat deck, not in inflatable for easy refilling.
Rafting in centre means the inflatable was fairly easy to get in and out. Also rafting on starboard side seemed better.
No-one left on-board the inflatable, just fired it up, put in gear and hopped back onto boat.
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 14:14   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

No one asked. But an old OMC 15 or 9.9, if gapping the points, under the flywheel and it won't hold the gap. It is a boat anchor, the upper main bearing is gone.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 11:18   #9

Re: Mounting Outboard on Santana 30 Transom?

Here's the pic again...

Thanks Bill - that's a great suggestion and would save me having to remount the outboard should the diesel die again. I had to strip the stern ladder in order to fit my contraption and I would definitely not want to move a 112# outboard while at sea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	90507  
Old 29-10-2014, 11:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
No one asked. But an old OMC 15 or 9.9, if gapping the points, under the flywheel and it won't hold the gap. It is a boat anchor, the upper main bearing is gone.
That would really stink. The PO told me the Evinrude ran when he put it away...and when it did fire (for a minute or two at a time) it sounded good. This old motor has CDI though so point gap isn't an issue. I'll redo it over the winter then try to recover my $$$ in the springtime...

Tags
outboard