Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 07:30   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Motor Wiring

I replaced my motor 4-108 for a rebuilt 4-108 the differance is in the tach the old tach ran off a cable.

I found a diagram but still have some questions because what I found as wires on the motor are strange if the diagram is right.

the problem is at the Alt. there are 5 wires orange 10ga. black 10ga. green 16ga. and two othere wires both look brown to me. I took a tester and ran them down but the Tach still will not work, the needle just jumps. More about the two wires I am unsure of one is a 16ga. standed core and the other looks like a solid silver core.

Per the diagram the one should be gray and go to the "S" post of the Tach and the other wire should be brown with white strip and is a resistance wire that runs from post " 1 " of the Alt to all gauges ( i post) and to the key. from what I understand this is the wire that is resistance and to me it seams wrong.

I will link the diagram I have.

Please help.

Dutch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf perkins4108wire.pdf (536.6 KB, 63 views)
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:36   #2

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
S stands for signal. That is the wire that should be going to the magnetic sender plug on the back of the alternator. Your "1" is an I and stands for Igntion. G stands for Ground.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:02   #3

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Thank you for the input but I beleive I did not make something clear here.

The plug coming off the Alt. is numbered 1,2 and R, I know that on a gauge that S stands for signal and that i stands for Igntion this is why I am confused by what I found.

from what I know about Electric a Resisted wire is normally a solid core and a strand wire is not. But going by the pole numbers on the Alt it shows they had it hooked up with the resisted wire on pole #2 and not number one like it should be. it all looks like a factory harness to.
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:10   #4

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Oh, sorry. Looking at your diagram, my best guess is that the Sender goes to the R on the alternator. The varying resistance coming from the alternator would measure the speed it's turning and be translated on the tachometer.

But again, that's just my best guess.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 14:10   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The “R” RELAY or “AC” AC Tap (or “W”) terminal designates the half systems voltage (pulsating DC), and may be used for tachometers*, or certain types of control relays, charge indicators, or similar devices.
* Pulse frequency varies with RPM

See ➥ http://www.teleflexmarine.com/librar...Alternator.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote