Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 07:44   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Motor Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, everyone,

Dockhead is exactly right on this one. We sailed in loose company with some friends who used their engine a lot on the way from Coff's Hbr to Noumea. When they got in, the engine required a rebuild, and I'm quite sure would not have, had they not spent so much time with it heeled so the oil pickup was out of the oil frequently, for days.

Ann

this is probably why actual motor sailors do not heel so much while sailing -- protects the engine... performance cruisers do not have that specialness--they act as racers and go heeled over for miles...i donot see need for engine while sailing these....if heeled--turn damn thing off...when sails fill, turn of that damnoisey thing...isnt necessary. if no filled sails--use engine--
i use my engine only when my sog is less than 2 kts......and my boat doesnt heel unless i am way stoopit and trim wrong, then we fix that fast.
that is difference between performance cruisers and heavy displacement-- we dont heel as much s do you in speeedy fast 7 kt boats.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 10:38   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Motor sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

Very useful technique. On my boat works best with mainsail alone, with the headsails put away.
Exactly. Have tried it with the jib and can't point nearly as close to the wind and keep the jib filled. I called it the M&M rig, Main & Motor. End result was much better than the sum of the parts.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 10:52   #18

the oil pump is either pumping or not..... angle of heel would only be a problem if the pump is not picking up oil.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 11:08   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The engines are spec'd with a maximum angle that the oil pump will reliably pick up oil. May not be publicized but the mfg. has the spec's somewhere. FWIW, lawnmowers that are expected to be used regularly at high angles are two cycle engines. No oil pick-up problems with a 2 cycle.

Wouldn't motor sail to windward at a 30 degree angle of heel but have done it for extended periods of times at less than 20 degree heel. Able to make 4-5 knots with the main up and the engine running at a relatively low rpm. The engine keeps the boats momentum through chop and motor assisted speed swings relative wind forward adding to the efficiency of the sails
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail, sailing