My new-to-me boat came very hard to shift into gear
from the controls. The control is a Morse MT3 and the gearbox
Upon close examination, it seemed that the control cable was torn at the mount point to the transmission
. I was able to obtain a new cable and connect it. However, that did not fix the problem and in fact it is now worse.
I tried all of the following:
- Disconnected from the gearbox
and shifted by hand. Seems to shift with little effort.
- Shift from the Morse control without connecting to tramission works very smoothly (I also greased all of the Morse control while I was at it).
- I tried both settings on the Hurth
(it has two notches to connect the Control cable - one notes 30mm range and the other 35mm range).
- I also tried adjusting the Morse control range.
- I played around with the little adjustments that thread at the ends of the cable and still got nowhere.
- I also tried adjusting the angle of the shift lever on the Hurth to get it to point at a 90 degree angle to the control cable while in Neutral.
One thought was that the torn cable was a symptom and not the root cause, but since shifting by hand seems OK, I really don't know.
The gearbox was low on oil
when I got it so I suspected something with the transmission
. How easy is it supposed to be to shift the Hurth 50 by hand? It seems to shift with little effort.
Any ideas are welcome. I have run out of ideas!