Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2015, 10:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Mixing Elbow: OEM or Stainless?

I just ordered a ebay U mixing elbow, alas not the stainless steel one. But the price was only $109, so gee if it lasts 5 years I'll be happy. My original one has 1400 hours on it, but is getting thin in a few places. I've already broken it free from the cast exhaust and retightened it, just enough to keep it gas tight. That was soooo much fun.

I use a SS spoke to clean the water passage out including the 90degree elbow, every year or two and I've used a small chain (like a dog chain) to clean the carbon out of the main passage.

I'll give a report once the new elbow arrives.

Old 22-04-2015, 10:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I just ordered a ebay U mixing elbow, alas not the stainless steel one. But the price was only $109, so gee if it lasts 5 years I'll be happy. My original one has 1400 hours on it, but is getting thin in a few places. I've already broken it free from the cast exhaust and retightened it, just enough to keep it gas tight. That was soooo much fun.

I use a SS spoke to clean the water passage out including the 90degree elbow, every year or two and I've used a small chain (like a dog chain) to clean the carbon out of the main passage.

I'll give a report once the new elbow arrives.
Are you sure the elbow you ordered is not aluminum? I believe I saw that being sold on eBay... You're the engineer, so I need not address the problem...

Old 22-04-2015, 11:13   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The company that makes it is in canada. They actually did not list the material, so it could be aluminum, though a lot of what they make is cast iron. I'm not too worried with aluminum as there is no water flowing across dissimilar metals, so electrolsis will be less of a problem. Galvanic corrosion might be a problem. The OEM did list a 5 year warranty on their site.

I believe Perkins has aluminum discharge elbows on some engines.
Old 22-04-2015, 11:39   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Anybody know anything about the "square" Yanmar elbows? Pretty sure mine is original at 27 yrs old, and my understanding is the square ones last longer? 4JHBE
Old 22-04-2015, 11:51   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
Correctamundo! When testing my rebuilt heat exchanger, I found hole on the water inlet for my exhaust elbow. Just got my replacement yesterday, $270 for the elbow, $14 for the gasket.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429725065175.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	100764   Click image for larger version

Name:	1429725081995.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	100765  

Old 22-04-2015, 12:04   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
Correctamundo! When testing my rebuilt heat exchanger, I found hole on the water inlet for my exhaust elbow.
AH, your using a wire reinforced hose for the water inlet. I would suggest that the wire in the hose be isolated from the aluminum elbow. I suspect it was touching the aluminum. That dinky little wire might have been enough to cause the pinhole leak. Aluminum makes a great anode.
Old 22-04-2015, 17:13   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

Quote:
AH, your using a wire reinforced hose for the water inlet. I would suggest that the wire in the hose be isolated from the aluminum elbow. I suspect it was touching the aluminum. That dinky little wire might have been enough to cause the pinhole leak. Aluminum makes a great anode.
While the wire may have been touching, even though it shouldn't have been, I don't think that was the problem. It was 23 years old! I don't know what the PO did as far as maintenance went, but the heat exchanger was an anode for at least some time. I don't know when the last time they changed the zinc in the HE, but I had a big chunk missing from it. The salt crystals kept it from leaking! But to be safe I'm making up some 10 ga. wire jumpers from the bronze HE endcap with the zinc aluminum HE body and to the engine, and from the elbow to the engine. I'm then going to do a bonding check to the prop zinc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-04-2015, 19:36   #23

Boat: Island Packet 350

A number of friends have switched to a 'square' mixing elbow. Anyone familiar with these?
Old 22-04-2015, 20:28   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
But to be safe I'm making up some 10 ga. wire jumpers from the bronze HE endcap with the zinc aluminum HE body and to the engine, and from the elbow to the engine.
Great idea!
Old 23-04-2015, 05:52   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Anybody know anything about the "square" Yanmar elbows? Pretty sure mine is original at 27 yrs old, and my understanding is the square ones last longer? 4JHBE

I'm almost positive the square ones are a bronze casting

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-04-2015, 13:00   #26

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
The company that makes it is in canada. They actually did not list the material, so it could be aluminum, though a lot of what they make is cast iron. I'm not too worried with aluminum as there is no water flowing across dissimilar metals, so electrolsis will be less of a problem. Galvanic corrosion might be a problem. The OEM did list a 5 year warranty on their site.

So, SC,
If you wanted the best application based upon chemistry/technology, would you choose stainless or the OEM cast iron? R
Old 29-04-2015, 17:03   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
So, SC,
If you wanted the best application based upon chemistry/technology, would you choose stainless or the OEM cast iron? R

Oh interesting question. I think I would lean towards cast iron. Though the cast stainless steel would probably be ok too. The problem with the welded stainless tubing ones is the welds tend to pit and fail after a few years.

Oh, My new ebay $109 discharge elbow came in today. It's cast iron and comes with a new brass elbow for the water port and a threaded cleanout port on top. Made by a canada firm HGE. Actually I expect its made in china, but it looks quite like OEM and is heavy enough. I'll swap it out in a week or so.

Here's the link to the OEM. Think they sell it for $160 ish: Exhaust Elbow Replacement | Yanmar | HGE 3520 to the OEM.
Old 30-04-2015, 17:36   #28

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Oh interesting question. I think I would lean towards cast iron. Though the cast stainless steel would probably be ok too. The problem with the welded stainless tubing ones is the welds tend to pit and fail after a few years.

Oh, My new ebay $109 discharge elbow came in today. It's cast iron and comes with a new brass elbow for the water port and a threaded cleanout port on top. Made by a canada firm HGE. Actually I expect its made in china, but it looks quite like OEM and is heavy enough. I'll swap it out in a week or so.

Here's the link to the OEM. Think they sell it for $160 ish: Exhaust Elbow Replacement | Yanmar | HGE 3520 to the OEM.

Thanks, SC for the feedback and the link . I have ordered an OEM from Yanmar, as Wrong also suggested, and will keep my old elbow(OEM) as a spare. Since moving the boat to freshwater, the carbonization has been very minimal opposed to saltwater. Good luck and good sailing.
Rognvald
Old 30-04-2015, 19:13   #29

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I saw an injection elbow custom made out of a Nickel / Copper alloy. (Nibral maybe?) It was a beautiful thing.
Cupro nickel perhaps.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
elbow

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: